Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #16186
Manray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleCafe View Post
Need a little help.

I'm thinking of trying to fabricate some mounts on my Scrambler so I can swap a set of Zega Pro Panniers that I have on my 02 1150 GS from bike to bike.
Have any of you done anything like this?
You can buy Touratech pannier hoops and fabricate the rest of the rack for the Scrambler using steel tubing or steel plate. There are 3 points on the subframe you can use to mount the pannier hoops to. One is the shock mount, another is the passenger foot peg and the third is under the seat beside the rear fender torx bolts.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/1...one-piece-18mm

Manray screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 08:42 AM
Manray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:12 AM   #16187
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsimmo View Post
That's it I've had enough of the ridiculous light on the Scram, I've bitten the bullet and ordered some VisionX Solstice Solo LEDs. One Wide angle and one spot.
Not cheap but I figured I would prefer to live for a few more years after the ride home tonight with the so called "high beam" on.

I'll post some pics when I fit them, maybe some before and after shots in the dark too.

Look familiar to mine from twistedthrottle, big improvement. Used them in heavy rain, fog and the extra light is lifesaving.

http://www.triumph-hinckley.no/

[/URL]
henryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #16188
ChuBrocka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
I have a pair of TOR's (Triumph off road) mufflers, they are noisy & to me make the Scrambler sound like a HD. I find the standard mufflers to soft & the TOR's too loud, after riding the Thruxton with Staintunes I removed the TOR's. Perhaps it just me, under load the TOR's are simply too noisy.

Terry
I hear ya! I bought my Scrambler used and it came with the stock pipes, TORS and Thunderbike pipes. The stock are too quiet for me, the TORS a little too punchy sounding and loud under load and the Thunderbike pipes have a rumble so deep you fell it in your bones. It's hard to describe because I wouldn't say they're louder than the TORS, just a really different fell. In any case, I don't love any of my pipes, but I also don't have the budget to experiment trying to find the right fit for me.

Still tons of fun overall though. Love my Scram!
ChuBrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #16189
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,446
Need advice about used scrams

I've convinced my wife that she needs a scrambler. I have to buy used & need advice on what years to look for if I want FI. What year did the scram get FI? Is there something else that I should be looking into as far as year models go? I'll probably have to install some low exhaust from a bonnie. Any & all advice welcome & appreciated.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #16190
ajsimmo
Crinkley Codger

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryII View Post
Look familiar to mine from twistedthrottle, big improvement. Used them in heavy rain, fog and the extra light is lifesaving.
Henry

I see you mounted them on the light bucket bolts. Are you happy with this location and do you get any cagers flashing you for being too bright.

Why on earth did Triumph do this to the Scram? Its as if they couldn't be bothered.

Ali
ajsimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #16191
kiwicaveman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryII View Post
I've got one of those on my Scrambler it worked alright for a while but filled up with water about 6 months after I put it on the orings in the lense dried out and cracked, fried the circuitry inside good light just it might have a shelf life on the orings
kiwicaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #16192
kiwicaveman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Also thought its time I posted a photo of my mean green beast the tough scrambler dont seem to be able to post picture try to sort it later 07 model that is green silver
kiwicaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #16193
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
I've convinced my wife that she needs a scrambler. I have to buy used & need advice on what years to look for if I want FI. What year did the scram get FI? Is there something else that I should be looking into as far as year models go? I'll probably have to install some low exhaust from a bonnie. Any & all advice welcome & appreciated.
I believe the '08s are the first with fuel injection. Not to skirt away from a scrambler, but if you're thinking of adding low pipes why not go with a Bonnie? Is your wife short or tall? The Bonnie will have slightly lower seat height as well with a bit more options for storage accessories.

I'm thinking about a used Scram too but they are hard to find. I'm toying with the idea of picking up a used T100 and adding the solo/rack seat, scrambler tires and possibly bars. Suspension upgrades down the road. Kind of like making my own Steve McQueen special edition minus the 'autograph' signature. It would be dirt road friendly without having to be a dirt bike/dual sport ride.

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #16194
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,325
Wink choices are a good thing .... when there aren't too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Shoreview View Post
I believe the '08s are the first with fuel injection. Not to skirt away from a scrambler, but if you're thinking of adding low pipes why not go with a Bonnie? Is your wife short or tall? The Bonnie will have slightly lower seat height as well with a bit more options for storage accessories.

I'm thinking about a used Scram too but they are hard to find. I'm toying with the idea of picking up a used T100 and adding the solo/rack seat, scrambler tires and possibly bars. Suspension upgrades down the road. Kind of like making my own Steve McQueen special edition minus the 'autograph' signature. It would be dirt road friendly without having to be a dirt bike/dual sport ride.

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550

'08s got FI in much of the world, but not the USA. My US 08 came with a pair of carbs, the dealer had rounded up a few 'extra' pre FI bikes thinking there might be a demand for the last carbed version. The FI generally worked well enough that there wasn't any big call for carbs and I got my 'leftover' at a reasonable price. Other than FI (and the different tank to accommodate it) the differences among Scrambler years are predominantly color choices.

As far as Scrambler/Bonneville choices, the 270 vs 360 degree crankshaft makes a very noticeable difference in the 'character' of the bike. Bonne's and Thruxtons like to rev much more than Scrams do, while Scrams with that low rpm torque will happily putter along and ignore the fact that you 'should' have down shifted. There are some foot peg differences between Scrams and Bonnies, the Scram seemed to me to have more 'legroom', I believe that some parts must be shuffled if you want to put a Bonnie exhaust onto a Scram. When I change out the shocks on my Scram, I may go with Bonnie length, despite my extended girth helping to settle the bike, paddling in reverse can leave me not quite reaching uneven ground, also, since they apparently did not design an appropriate length side stand for the Scram (just used what was 'in the bin') a little lowering will let the bike remain closer to vertical while at rest. There seems to be no comparison between the Bonnie and Scram headlights, the Scram's 'fashion statement' of a light, to put it simply, SUCKS for riding after dark and is an odd enough size that an entire new assembly (or auxiliary lights) are needed to fix the problem. Try both if possible to decide which factors matter to you.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225

Fire Escape screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 03:01 PM Reason: can't spell
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #16195
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rderman View Post
My brother and I went out Scrambling on Sunday in the burn area from a fire a few years back...gotta get it in before the snow comes.
This sounds weird but is that you or your brother in the pic?
If I didn't know better, I would think I was looking a a picture of me a few years ago. It's uncanny. I'll see if I can find an old profile picture, I'm sure you will agree. Got any better pictures of this person?
ray h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #16196
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post

'08s in the US are carbed. 09 if you want a US EFI.

Like someone said, why not a Bonnie for ur wife? Low pipes, slightly lower seating, better headlight.
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #16197
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsimmo View Post
Henry

I see you mounted them on the light bucket bolts. Are you happy with this location and do you get any cagers flashing you for being too bright.

Why on earth did Triumph do this to the Scram? Its as if they couldn't be bothered.

Ali
I also mounted them on the signal locatin, think they are better there. But did not dig up a good alternativ
to the signals :-) Since it is required to use daylight the flashing is not a problem here

http://www.triumph-hinckley.no/

[/URL]
henryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #16198
twolf
Dork

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle66 View Post

Like someone said, why not a Bonnie for ur wife? Low pipes, slightly lower seating, better headlight.
Exactly what I did, Bonnie for the wife. Both are 09's.

twolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #16199
ajsimmo
Crinkley Codger

Oddometer: 74
Snap

Looks like this could be a trend!!!!

Although she sold the Bonnie last week and now has spanking new Street Triple (she liked the colour!!).

Ho Hum.....
ajsimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #16200
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle66 View Post

I would rather she get a Bonnie, but that's not what she wants. She is over 6' tall so seat hight is never an issue. I'm assuming she will not like the high pipe. I could not get used to it on the few rides I rode one.
Thanks for the FI info. I'll tell her to look for an 09' or newer.