Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #46
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Unfortunately as long as we have a handful of "special" riders behaving like spoiled children the rest of us will pay the price..
not to mention we have people that have no qualms about enforcing the laws on their own regardless of how much injury comes to the rider. Hell, there are even people on this board who have threatened riders about trying to lane split past them.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #47
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,600
After dark in the rain...

If I find myself out after dark in the rain (which is often in the Winter months here in Oregon) I will filter to the front for safety reasons. I have never had a problem with LEO's or other road users.

In the daylight people seem to get pissed off.

Always be ready to split lanes to escape.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:36 AM   #48
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
not to mention we have people that have no qualms about enforcing the laws on their own regardless of how much injury comes to the rider. Hell, there are even people on this board who have threatened riders about trying to lane split past them.
Thats why I no longer do it where illegal, besides the fact that it's wrong and detrimental to our privilege to ride, I honestly believe that between the possibility of road rage and the dangers of being where we are unexpected, actually makes it more dangerous.

IMO, If someone chooses to do something thats not permitted, at least have the stones to admit that they're doing it because they want to, and spare us the smoke and mirrors about it being for "safety".

These "I know it's wrong, make me feel better about doing it" threads are getting very banal.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #49
PSYCHO II
Crusty Demon

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
If I find myself out after dark in the rain (which is often in the Winter months here in Oregon) I will filter to the front for safety reasons. I have never had a problem with LEO's or other road users.

There are LEO's and there are LEO WANKERS. Here in Oz some apply the law regardless. I would rather have an "escape plan" than something that puts me at risk to make LEO happy that I am complying with the legislation that was passed in parliament to make me safer.

The laws of physics and not the laws of man will determine how flesh and metal are torn apart.

PSYCHO II screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 12:45 AM
PSYCHO II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:58 AM   #50
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I once had an unexpected epiphany on being "trapped" without an out.

When talking about sidecars with another rider, his main objection to them was just that, being trapped at a stop and not being able to escape by splitting if necessary. The obvious answer immediately came to me without conscience thought,
I have never ridden a motorcycle while being chained, taped, glued, stapled, screwed, welded, tied, cuffed, nailed, or otherwise permanently attached to it.
If I ever see an impending impact coming from the rear, and I don't have an out, my ass is off that seat and going wherever my 2 feet will take me.

There's always an "out".
Old 10-02-2012, 02:50 AM   #51
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:
I once had an unexpected epiphany on being "trapped" without an out.

When talking about sidecars with another rider, his main objection to them was just that, being trapped at a stop and not being able to escape by splitting if necessary. The obvious answer immediately came to me without conscience thought,
I have never ridden a motorcycle while being chained, taped, glued, stapled, screwed, welded, tied, cuffed, nailed, or otherwise permanently attached to it.
If I ever see an impending impact coming from the rear, and I don't have an out, my ass is off that seat and going wherever my 2 feet will take me.

There's always an "out".
That's kind of the outfit equivalent of 'lay 'er down' ain't it??

dbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:24 AM   #52
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,362
I filter under certain circumstances and certain times here in N Europe, but based on the kinds of reactions you see in America I would be very hesitant to do it in most places there. When I'm back home in the States I just deal with it and maintain lane position.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:08 AM   #53
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,897
Quote:
Thats why I no longer do it where illegal, besides the fact that it's wrong and detrimental to our privilege to ride, I honestly believe that between the possibility of road rage and the dangers of being where we are unexpected, actually makes it more dangerous.

IMO, If someone chooses to do something thats not permitted, at least have the stones to admit that they're doing it because they want to, and spare us the smoke and mirrors about it being for "safety".

These "I know it's wrong, make me feel better about doing it" threads are getting very banal.
It's not wrong.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:28 AM   #54
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,234
Quote:

I had some guy go all road ragey on me when I lane split in the rain with passenger in tow. Took the guy over a mile to get up next to me where he yelled some nonsense about legality, waiting my turn and fairness. He then proceeded to try and run me off the road with his dually. I wish I didn't have my FF helmet on so that he could see me laughing my ass off at his idiocy as well as the irony of his rant about fairness and legality when attempted vehicular homicide is far more egregious of an act than lane splitting will ever be . Luckily we caught another red light and, thanks to lane splitting, he quickly went away.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:32 AM   #55
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
I had some guy go all road ragey on me when I lane split in the rain with passenger in tow. Took the guy over a mile to get up next to me where he yelled some nonsense about legality, waiting my turn and fairness. He then proceeded to try and run me off the road with his dually. I wish I didn't have my FF helmet on so that he could see me laughing my ass off at his idiocy as well as the irony of his rant about fairness and legality when attempted vehicular homicide is far more egregious of an act than lane splitting will ever be . Luckily we caught another red light and, thanks to lane splitting, he quickly went away.
And this, my friends, is why filtering and lane splitting where it is not legal and accepted is a bad idea!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #56
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,268
This is on my list of things to do when I get home. Since the MI legislature clearly does not care about rider safety anyway (helmet law repealed), it will be virtually impossible to say that filtering or splitting are somehow "unsafe". I plan to make a fuss about this and get at least filtering legalised in MI.

I hope.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:30 AM   #57
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
And this, my friends, is why filtering and lane splitting where it is not legal and accepted is a bad idea!

Jim

Truth be told this is one of only 3 instances of ignorant asshats road raging or even getting upset that I filtered. Considering that I do it several times a day six days a week and have done so for years I would say that is a pretty good ratio of helpfull/dangerous. It IS much safer for me to split than to sit at the back of stopped traffic. This may vary by region but here in SFL it has saved my ass more times than it has endangered it. I will take my chances with "Mr Juvenille Ego Angry Pants" versus little miss "I Didn't See You Because I was Texting Face" any day of the week.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #58
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
The OP said it is illegal to filter in "moving" traffic in Texas. Does anyone know if it is OK once the cars have stopped at a traffic light? There would still be some risk of being illegal should the cars begin moving while you are filtering, I suppose.
Nope. Neither are legal in Texas. (However, in Houston, DFW, Austin, San Antonio you will see many people do it with pretty much no outward signs that it bothers anyone.)

Changes to the law to make both legal have been presented at the last two state legislative sessions, and both times the bill in question never made it to the main house floor for a vote. Something about education and the state budget being more important. The bill is set to be introduced again next summer. Hopefully it gains some more ground this time. That is one bad thing about Texas politics, legislative sessions meet once every TWO years, and then only for a few weeks. Makes it very hard to get bills passes/repealed when there is no time to talk about them in sub-committees, committees, house and senate.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #59
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
It's not wrong.
No,

In our personal opinion it's not wrong.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #60
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuzz View Post
That's kind of the outfit equivalent of 'lay 'er down' ain't it??

I dont think so, "laying it down" is code for loosing control while trying to stop, I'm talking about bailing if sitting at a stop with nowhere to go.