Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #16
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Oddometer: 6,698
The other funny thing was he took a sharpie and drew a line around the purple swollen part and dated it so we could track progress.
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #17
REAPER_ONE
YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer: 3,056
Dude... It is a good thing I just ate. Hang in there buddy and if you need a ride anywhere... Let me know. I'll be Dana's backup. Just got back from Moose trip... I'll post pics on the moy thread. You can lay in the back seat with your foot elevated.
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #18
joints4sale
No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer: 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
Doc must have been drinking before surgery, cause he completely missed the stencil marks. JK.
Erik : IBA #40645---BMW135i FOR SALE<---CLICK
"If my life or death depends on getting Bruce or Dana on the phone then I'm gonna die." RFlagg42
2011 TC449, 2014 S1000R, 2010 R1200GSA 30th Anniversary Edition, 2003 Ktm 625sxc(gone), 1999 DR350(gone), 2007 K1200GT (traded for the GSA). 2004 R1150R (traded for the GT)
joints4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:55 AM   #19
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSA_PILOT View Post
Dude... It is a good thing I just ate.
Yep, that's the reason I saved the pictures for Face plant...it's expected over here.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #20
swedishfishy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
ok...so maybe a stupid question....
but would boots with a steel shank have prevented some of that injury?
swedishfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #21
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishfishy View Post
ok...so maybe a stupid question....
but would boots with a steel shank have prevented some of that injury?
I believe it would have, and every piece of equipment seems to be some type of compromise...meaning that the boot with a steel shank may be uncomfortable to walk in except for short distances. Looking at other sole options for the next set of boots.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #22
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,064
This boot has PLENTY of sole support...alas, no toe coverage...

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #23
swedishfishy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
I believe it would have, and every piece of equipment seems to be some type of compromise...meaning that the boot with a steel shank may be uncomfortable to walk in except for short distances. Looking at other sole options for the next set of boots.

for street riding i have A* SMX+ boots, seem to offer a lot of protection and i believe they have a steel shank. Bought em after a couple guys at work 'had to lay her down' and had some bad ankle injuries. Probably wearing some sprerry topsiders haha.

http://www.alpinestars.com/shop/cate...ort/s-mx-plus/
well i thought they had a steel shank. maybe i am mistaken.
swedishfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #24
blaster11 OP
Enabler

All my boots I have right now are more Adventure rider style rather than a street boot or MX boot. The problem is that in the past year we have been doing a bit tougher trails and single track so my boot requirements have changed but my gear has not caught up.
I am looking at these
http://www.revzilla.com/product/sidi...fire-srs-boots
or these right now
http://www.revzilla.com/product/sidi-crossfire-ta-boots

Yep, they are expensive but since my wife was able to go online and see the insurance claims and they are over $10K right now...pretty cheap insurance if you ask me.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #25
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Blaster11
Awesome pics. Ice becomes your best friend. That long incision is going to bother you, mildly, for years until the nerves reconnect. Sounds like you have a good surgeon though with checking for infection before it's too late. Conservative is almost always good with Docs.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #26
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74C5 View Post
Awesome pics. Sounds like you have a good surgeon though with checking for infection before it's too late. Conservative is almost always good with Docs.
It took a lot to get those pictures but if it helps others out what the Hell.
Joints4Sale, riding buddy/friend, is in the joints business so he has been around many of the surgeons and hospitals and made the recommendation, I am very happy he did and things are moving forward...now I just need to do my part and not screw up all the hard work which has gone in so far. I am going to try and keep this updated so folks can see and understand what it takes to come back from an injury like this.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #27
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
...now I just need to do my part and not screw up all the hard work which has gone in so far. I am going to try and keep this updated so folks can see and understand what it takes to come back from an injury like this.
Although your injury is not exactly an ankle fracture, you might find this thread useful:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ankle+fracture

Hope you heal up well! (from a fellow member of the Exclusive Titanium Club )
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #28
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Broke the M5 of left foot. The bone crushed, went through the top of foot and retracted to line up. Both ends looked like a piece of wood hammered to splinter. Lots of infection prevention and testing w/ surgery. Use of same frankenstein boot for 6 weeks.
Had a SIDI disco boot as well. Don't know how much injury could have been prevented. I think an angled rock passed over the top outside of the foot and compressed the bone to my footpeg. It hurt, but we kept riding. The one bone you can break and not know it's broken. We had 5 foot injuries on that ride.
Won't be out of the ortho boot til we pick a new dictator in November. SIDI's will stay. Looking at fastway pegs for more stability, and hammerhead shifter for a longer and bit higher location.
Anything to keep feet tucked in tight and flat. Down or pointed out is asking for trouble on the goat trail we ride.

KTM 450 EXC
tundradirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #29
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Thanks for for thoughts, ideas, and the link as well!

My foot feels a little better every day...no major breakthroughs or anything but a bit better. A bit of a scare today, my good foot slipped out from under me and I put some weight on the bad foot to try and catch myself, I quickly realized that was a bad move and retracted it and just crashed to the floor...better move. I quickly got back up and back to the bed where pain pills were quickly taken, wife is not very happy with my escapades. I still have 3 toes which are a bit numb and don't want to move much. Hopefully its just from all the trauma, swelling, and it will just take a bit longer for that to clear up.

I can't say I understand the timeline right now other than stitches will most likely come out on Tuesday and at the 12 week point the screws will come out. So I would like to understand at what point can I drive, put weight on it, when can I wear regular shoes, and the most important point when can I ride a motorcycle. Lots of questions with no answers.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #30
joints4sale
No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer: 2,986
I'll investigate on Monday and try to get some answers for you.
Erik : IBA #40645---BMW135i FOR SALE<---CLICK
"If my life or death depends on getting Bruce or Dana on the phone then I'm gonna die." RFlagg42
2011 TC449, 2014 S1000R, 2010 R1200GSA 30th Anniversary Edition, 2003 Ktm 625sxc(gone), 1999 DR350(gone), 2007 K1200GT (traded for the GSA). 2004 R1150R (traded for the GT)
joints4sale is offline   Reply With Quote