Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #76
Desmofan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by -GUV- View Post
I rotated the rubber intake sleeves 180deg as they aren't very well port matched, no more noise.
Could you elaborate on "rubber intake sleeves rotated"? I installed the CPR on my 990SMT (secondary flies out, Wings, TuneEcu 7/21/12 "kevtx" map).

I had assumed the whistling at cracked throttle was just throttle body/butterfly noise now unmuffled?
Desmofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #77
-GUV-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
The rubber sleeves that hold the throttle bodys to the heads.
-GUV- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #78
-GUV-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
A tip for adventure owners, while you have the throttle bodys off flip the securing rings (screw heads face right side) so that you only have take the right side tank off to remove them in the future if needed.
-GUV- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #79
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by -GUV- View Post
A tip for adventure owners, while you have the throttle bodys off flip the securing rings (screw heads face right side) so that you only have take the right side tank off to remove them in the future if needed.
On my carbs I was able to flip and point them so I can reach in with a small handle screwdriver and remove the carbs with both tanks still installed. Only have to remove the glovebox & seat. I bet you can do the same with the TB's. Take a close look.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #80
olec
Rookie

Oddometer: 273
Prefilters

Hi!

I will order one of these CPR filters but have a couple of Q's:

- Anyone tried those prefilters and do you feel the more restricted air-flow?
- That breather hose, Maybe a stupid question, but do you have to route it to the inside? Why not just filter it on the outside and just leave that mess out.

Thanks!
olec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #81
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by olec View Post
Hi!

- That breather hose, Maybe a stupid question, but do you have to route it to the inside? Why not just filter it on the outside and just leave that mess out.

Thanks!
If you do that, call CPR before you order and get them to send you a plate without the mounting hole for the breather. That is what I did. The one way valve that is in line with the breather hose should eliminate the need for an actual crankcase filter, but it is a safe idea to fit one just in case.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #82
olec
Rookie

Any cons besides of taking care of eventually oil spill 'somewhere' rerouted?
Old 10-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #83
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Any cons besides of taking care of eventually oil spill 'somewhere' rerouted?
No issue for me. Never had any oil out of it.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:40 AM   #84
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
Mine had only the one near the temp sensor. My 2nd valve motor didn't contact the base plate but the idle motor did ever so slightly.

The extra pockets in the base plate didn't help (maybe a small life time extension) i replaced the base plate last week just in case and found cracks on both side at the D-zus back plates.
And i had the same problem as you with the temp sensor(holes to big and no screws delivered).
Lucky i have a small collection of stainless steel bolts in my garage

But i don't like the new routing of the crank case breather, as i still have the 2nd valve motor inplace.
The hose is pushing against the front injector connector and the connectors of the 2nd valve motor.
So i removed the hose and sealled the hole with a bolt and 2 washer with some rubber seallant inbetween.
And ordered a small crankcase breather filter to put on the hose.

i think this also will help for lowering the intake temp some degrees. because the warm fumes from the crankcase will no longer enter in the airfilter.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:27 AM   #85
olec
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark01 View Post
The extra pockets in the base plate didn't help (maybe a small life time extension) i replaced the base plate last week just in case and found cracks on both side at the D-zus back plates.
And i had the same problem as you with the temp sensor(holes to big and no screws delivered).
Lucky i have a small collection of stainless steel bolts in my garage

But i don't like the new routing of the crank case breather, as i still have the 2nd valve motor inplace.
The hose is pushing against the front injector connector and the connectors of the 2nd valve motor.
So i removed the hose and sealled the hole with a bolt and 2 washer with some rubber seallant inbetween.
And ordered a small crankcase breather filter to put on the hose.

i think this also will help for lowering the intake temp some degrees. because the warm fumes from the crankcase will no longer enter in the airfilter.
So you made an extra pocket on the old baseplate, but it didn't help (too much), and you reaplaced it with the updated baseplate now and then you found more cracks in the old one when removing it? (just to be sure before I order it that there are no more issues with the new one)
Old 10-02-2012, 06:56 AM   #86
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Hi!

Thanks!
I've installed the red prefilter, oiled with NoToil.
It's a porous foam and I didn't notice any change in
noise/performance.

'07 990 A Remus 2 to 1 Akro map CPR filter with prefilter.
NoToil

I didn't know about the new plate without a hole for the oil breather
tube so on mine I filled in the hole with JB Weld.
I've always rerouted the breather to out side the air box
on the five LC8's I've owned.

Max
Old 10-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #87
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 880
Quote:

Just wondering, whats the reason for attaching the hose to the inside to route the crankcase vent directly over a throttle body?

Sporting Wood screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 07:25 AM
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #88
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
Just wondering, whats the reason for attaching the hose to the inside to route the crankcase vent directly over a throttle body?
That's the poor man's supercharger, with the added bonus of hot, oily crankcase vapors. No better place for it then directly down the throat of the carb. Kidding aside, lots of bikes, KTM's real dirt bikes w/ FCR carbs, for example, have their crankcase vent hoses attatched directly to the carb manifold. It works fine. In the case of the CPR set up shown in the picture, my preference was a bit of a cleaner less homemade look, so I just left it outside.

Johnf3 screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 07:43 AM
Old 10-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #89
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
The stock configuration has the breather vented inside the air box so I'm guessing this is done so that reason. I'm sure it has something to do with EPA requirements too.

You can have the breather vented; 1) outside, 2) inside with hole directing the vapors to the intake or 3) inside with no hose. I thought I'd try inside with hose first. I may remove the hose and see what it looks like after a few hundred miles.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #90
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
That's the poor man's supercharger, with the added bonus of hot, oily crankcase vapors. No better place for it then directly down the throat of the carb. Kidding aside, lots of bikes, KTM's real dirt bikes w/ FCR carbs, for example, have their crankcase vent hoses attatched directly to the carb manifold. It works fine. In the case of the CPR set up shown in the picture, my preference was a bit of a cleaner less homemade look, so I just left it outside.
I get the sarcasm... There was some in my original post too.

I've built a bunch of race bikes, changed everything except for the air in the tires, and I've never ran the crankcase vent into the airbox. More often, I've ran it down to just above the countershaft so any hot oily water vapor lands on the chain doing it some good, or simply putting a high mounted filter on it to keep the critters and water crossings out... been known to just stuff some filter foam inside the tube and zip tie it to the frame.

Quote:
The stock configuration has the breather vented inside the air box so I'm guessing this is done so that reason. I'm sure it has something to do with EPA requirements too.

You can have the breather vented; 1) outside, 2) inside with hole directing the vapors to the intake or 3) inside with no hose. I thought I'd try inside with hose first. I may remove the hose and see what it looks like after a few hundred miles.
Correct, EPA. I'd at least dump the hose on the plate. Should you blow a water pump, these LC8's are known to chug that tasty looking chocolate milkshake mixture of emulsified oil, water and antifreeze up that hose... and right into your throttle body... which would make the whole thing suck much worse.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote