Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #10111
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Osos

Funny sign Turkeycreek

An Alaskan told me that the reason to file the front sight off of your .44 mag is so that it doesn't hurt so much when the bear shoves it up your ass...is Alaska safe?
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #10112
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Yes I've heard HGH and EPO are much cheaper in Mexico

Eddy Merckx set the Hour Record in Mexico City decades ago - arguably one of the greatest events in modern cycling.

He was riding a bicycle built by Colnago (Italian builder) and someone immediately slapped some Windsor stickers on it. Windsor was, at the time, building a Mexican copy of Cinelli bicycles.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #10113
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
Not Arte! He is very serious about traveling and maintaining a strict schedule. I enjoy riding with him since we don't spend a lot of time BSing, and actually getting places, so that we can BS by the campfire.

Agreed. Arte is a kind guy, and doesn't allow old and slow gringos to die by the side of the road, but he and his friends hit it hard in the morning and ride hard until they get to their destinations.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #10114
alcanrider
alcanrider

Oddometer: 113
That is a 9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Funny sign Turkeycreek

An Alaskan told me that the reason to file the front sight off of your .44 mag is so that it doesn't hurt so much when the bear shoves it up your ass...is Alaska safe?
.44 is the first round that is really safe as far as stopping a grizz. 9mm 45 and he or she will shove it up your arse. The saying goes don't load your 9mm, because you don't want it to go off when the bears shoves it up your arse. My choice is the 12 gauge slug-buckshot-slug-buckshot, just like that. As for bear spray? I really feel that all you are doing is spicing up their dinner. Nothing is totally bear proof. If a brown or grizz want to kill you bad enough, they will. Their heart only beats six times a minute, so theoretically a Brown can rip you apart in less than a couple seconds. Good luck.
alcanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #10115
alcanrider
alcanrider

Oddometer: 113
Not too hot!

[QUOTE=SR;19708193]Turkeycreek, I spent a couple of months doing geological field work on a copper project in your neighborhood, in the Sierra NW of Moctezoma, about half way to the Rio Sonora Valley. It was June and July and it got over 100 deg every single day! We got up at 4:00 and worked until noon. Then we'd jump in a luke warm river to cool down and go back to camp to sleep. That's all we could do!

I never saw a bear. I think it's too hot? but I distinctly remember that place having a lot of wildlife. Lots of deer and javali and also lots exotic birds. I remember seeing a few coral snakes and a boa constricter. I never saw one, but they say there is still a healthy population of jaguar and mountain lions in that area. A nice area and a great place for naturalists, if you can handle the heat!

I have not been to Sonora in a while. I'll have to ride up and visit the hotel sometime! Maybe Jimmy will invite me?[/QUOTE

It is so hot and humid in Florida you can't breath, and there are still plenty of bears here.
alcanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #10116
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 933
It's not the bears you need to worry about, it's the chupacabras...
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #10117
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Aventurero

Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #10118
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Chupacabras

I had a chupacabras dog once... no one but the coyotes ever believed me and they stayed away... Got any pics arroyo huajalote?
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:45 AM   #10119
airdale7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Knife in Mexico

I guess my multi-tool is out of the question since it has a blade. Anyone have know?
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:29 AM   #10120
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale74451 View Post
I guess my multi-tool is out of the question since it has a blade. Anyone have know?
You are overthinking this way too much.
There are people that carry machetes here that are close to a yard long. Nobody gives a damn.

It's Mexico and the equation is: Worry less, ride more!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:55 AM   #10121
airdale7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Thanks Mike. Ok, i'm all packed and pulling out of Tahlequah, Ok in about an hour. See you along the way friends.
www.twowheelsthreeamericas.com
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:02 AM   #10122
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale74451 View Post
Hey Airdale, Fellow Okie here. Myself and two or three buddies have been riding in Mexico the past 4 winters. Mostly along the Pacific Coast, but last year down the belly to Oaxaca. These yahoos on here from Tejas don't understand Okie speak, so if you got some specific questions, send me a pm and ill pass on what I knowledge I know.i hope you have read most of this thread. Best info out there about how to ride in Mexico.
McFoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:40 AM   #10123
gasandasphalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Two Border Patrol Agents shot this AM in AZ, One fatal!!!!!!!....... check out article on 'DRUDGE REPORT' for all the latest.........
Old 10-02-2012, 07:54 AM   #10124
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 933
Very sad to lose another person to the drug war. The only to stop this is with legalization of MJ and decriminalization of the rest. Education and treatment are more effective and cheaper. There is no Mexican drug war, it USA's drug war, southern front.

Will legalization make the cartels disappear? No, they will continue in a diminished way, stealing cars, Pemex oil, counterfit cash, movies and music as well as designer goods. But they won't have the vast amounts of cash to buy military style weapons, hire hitmen, corrupt border agents, cops, judges and politicians on both sides of the border like they do now. Doing the same thing for over 30 years with no result is madness. Legalization would be no worse.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #10125
TravlinLeoJ
wocka wocka

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Very sad to lose another person to the drug war. The only to stop this is with legalization of MJ and decriminalization of the rest. Education and treatment are more effective and cheaper. There is no Mexican drug war, it USA's drug war, southern front.

Will legalization make the cartels disappear? No, they will continue in a diminished way, stealing cars, Pemex oil, counterfit cash, movies and music as well as designer goods. But they won't have the vast amounts of cash to buy military style weapons, hire hitmen, corrupt border agents, cops, judges and politicians on both sides of the border like they do now. Doing the same thing for over 30 years with no result is madness. Legalization would be no worse.

BRAVO!!

TravlinLeoJ is offline   Reply With Quote