Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #7741
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans4ormer View Post
Not to get to personal, but ladies usually have longer legs than like height males...how tall is your lady? Was she on her tippy toes while stopped? TIA

Yeah -- hard to tell without pictures.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #7742
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans4ormer View Post
Not to get to personal, but ladies usually have longer legs than like height males...how tall is your lady? Was she on her tippy toes while stopped? TIA
She is taller than me by an inch or two: I'm 5'7" and she 5'8"-n-change, equals the full toes of both her feet at a standing stop. She learned to ride with me though, so she isn't allowed to go for both feet at the same time, only the left foot down, to keep the rear brake covered, unless conditions call for the brake side foot, instead. (of course that swaps when she rides her right side shift/left side brake Triumph)

She barely tip toed on the 690SM we looked at on Saturday and it was soooo balanced that she felt like there wasn't any weight to keep upright. Luckily she felt the same balance on the 950, so she had lots of confidence riding it!
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #7743
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
Yeah -- hard to tell without pictures.
Youse 'guise are just a bunch o' baiters!! I'll get a snap of her next ride...
Old 10-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #7744
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,487
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
Youse 'guise are just a bunch o' baiters!! I'll get a snap of her next ride...
After baiting for nearly a decade wiseblood was eventuually promoted to Master Baiter by the mods on advrider.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #7745
Trans4ormer
B to V 1983

Oddometer: 54
Thanks for the info...gonna look at a 950SM and a SD on the 13th for fitment purposes. Figure a nice low miles SMR will come available in the middle of January when the Christmas bills start coming in... LOL

Trans4ormer screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 03:47 PM
Trans4ormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #7746
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,391
You'll find the seat on the SD a skosh lower, the suspension a bit shorter (and stouter) and the same superb handling. And if it's an R - about 15 more HP.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #7747
Trans4ormer
B to V 1983

Oddometer: 54
I like the looks of the R more than the extra power it provides. 95hp in a 500# bike will be more than enough compared to the 115hp 1000# Goldwing I was riding. Both bikes I'll be looking at are low miles, but neither are R models. Like I said, in no hurry and when the right one comes along....BINGO!!

Thanks for the information.
Trans4ormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #7748
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,991
~35,000 miles. Investigating an oil leak, I traced it back to the o-ring that seals the gear indicator behind the sidestand mount. Difficult to see the area with the kickstand in place and I was fearing the worst. I've never been so glad to see a leaking seal

$0.35 part, item 26 in the picture. Same o-ring is used in the 9x0 and SE, so I ordered a couple.

wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:33 AM   #7749
gkaan
Bikes on the Brain

Oddometer: 512
oil sight tube

well i finally got around to replacing my oil sight tube with a new one but one of the damn tapped holes will not screw down tightly with either of the bolts. cant be stripped as i used the correct bolt and didn't over tighten. has anyone experienced this? do you think loctite would be a bad idea considering its the oil tank? i noticed there was a spring on one of the bolts. is that there for a reason?
gkaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #7750
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkaan View Post
well i finally got around to replacing my oil sight tube with a new one but one of the damn tapped holes will not screw down tightly with either of the bolts. cant be stripped as i used the correct bolt and didn't over tighten. has anyone experienced this? do you think loctite would be a bad idea considering its the oil tank? i noticed there was a spring on one of the bolts. is that there for a reason?
I don't know of any spring on the back of a banjo bolt for the oil sight tube!! The banjo bolts must have crush washers on each side to seal, like a brake line. Check for your crush washers on each side of fitting. No locktight is gonna seal that baby if she aint got crush washers...
Old 10-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #7751
gkaan
Bikes on the Brain

thanks snowhawk....yup...both crush washers in place. im no mechanic but this job is as simple as it gets and yet im not getting it done.
any other ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
I don't know of any spring on the back of a banjo bolt for the oil sight tube!! The banjo bolts must have crush washers on each side to seal, like a brake line. Check for your crush washers on each side of fitting. No locktight is gonna seal that baby if she aint got crush washers...
Old 10-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #7752
Wizard
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 75
Sounds like you pulled the threads out of the oil tank when you removed the bolt - the spring is the threads! May be able to use a heli-coil kit to replace the threads in the tank.

Jim
Old 10-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #7753
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
Sounds like you pulled the threads out of the oil tank when you removed the bolt - the spring is the threads! May be able to use a heli-coil kit to replace the threads in the tank.

Jim
Genius!!
I didn't even think of the "spring" being the coil of thread...
I have used lots of helicoil kits over the years for head studs, case covers and spark plugs, shouldn't be a big issue for that oiltank repair.

'Course in my yard, we'ed just JB weld the holes shut and melt a dipstick into the oil cap...
Old 10-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #7754
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
~35,000 miles. Investigating an oil leak, I traced it back to the o-ring that seals the gear indicator behind the sidestand mount. Difficult to see the area with the kickstand in place and I was fearing the worst. I've never been so glad to see a leaking seal

$0.35 part, item 26 in the picture. Same o-ring is used in the 9x0 and SE, so I ordered a couple.

I just received mine today! I developed the same leak (again) about a week ago and after elminating other possibilities and cleaning and watching it closely right after riding, I figured it was the gear position sensor o-ring!! My bike finally turned 40,000 miles last week, and it makes sense as I replaced the first one around 20,000 miles ago. I ordered a few to have some spares on hand. As the bike climbs up in miles, I am trying to have certain things on hand going forward such as:

Clutch master rebuild kit
Clutch Lever springs
Clutch fluid
Water Pump rebuild kit
Oil sight tube ( I had one fail while on a trip and this was not fun, I now keep an extra one waiting in my bag of tricks)
Fuel Pump
air filter
oil filters
Various clamps for coolant hoses
Some extra preformed and straight fuel line pieces
o-rings for the gear position sensor
carb o-rings

Not having these things on hand has caused me quite a bit of down time because inevitably I will need one of these things the day before I am going to leave on a trip!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #7755
gkaan
Bikes on the Brain

brilliant! now i need to buy another tool. guess ill be heading to the Sears Hardware..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post

Jim