Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #31
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
The weight of the big GS does have its advantages.

This isn't the first time I've heard of GS owners coming out well from animal impacts. I knew a guy who hit a large coyote doing about 70mph. He had a nasty tank slapper, but pulled it out. Upon inspection, there was coyote hair wedged deeply into the bead area between tire and rim. Obviously, the coyote was toast.
I hit a huge dog which jumped out at me. I had like .2 seconds to react so I didn't. I hit the dog which was so big that its hair was embedded in the bash plate meaning it was wider than the GS's ground clearance. Like I say - a BIG dog.

I didn't even have a tank slapper. All I felt was a big bump. The bike tracked perfectly throughout the front wheel, then the bash plate then the back wheel running over the animal.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #32
swann
Just practicing...

Oddometer: 275
Amazing! It was really hard to see the deer, had to watch it again. Wow. Glad it didn't take you guys out!

Believe you can and you're halfway there. ~ Theodore Roosevelt
swann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #33
Royalwapiti
McGillicuddy's pal

Oddometer: 93
Glad to see you made it through this. They kill riders up here all the time.

I will be on Lake Mary Road helping my son with a elk hunt in November. We'll be staying at the Happy Jack Lodge. I was there in August scouting and and we stayed at Stoneman Lake at a friend's cabin. Your post hit home with me, my favorite vacation area.

2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 Red
Royalwapiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #34
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,298
Wow! I just came across this. I watched your video over and over and other than a little wobble right at the beginning, I would have never known you hit anything.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #35
WhichWayNow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robus View Post
If you see one deer, assume there are others around.

This is well worth repeating. When one is startled and starts running, others will usually follow in the same direction, even if that direction is straight into your path.
WhichWayNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #36
LuluOfDenver
The peanut gallery.

Oddometer: 194
Eek Scary moment

So, I hit a deer about two weeks ago. Actually, I guess I should say a deer hit me. I was riding a little twisty 2 lane highway and was trying to keep an eye out for them. I had seen a number of them on that stretch, but at the wrong time, was looking out the wrong way. He came at me from the left, and I barely had a moment to realize he was there before he hit me. His antlers hit my left hand/hand guard and some part of his body hit my left leg.

He ran off to the right, apparently not particularly harmed. My hand swelled up pretty well over the course of the evening and my hand guard was totally tweaked and will need to be replaced. But, other than a hit and scary wobble, and a crap ton of adrenaline, it ended well.

I have a friend who swears his deer whistles on his car make a difference and keep them away. I have a Stebel horn on my bike and have used the "train" to scare wildlife away, but it doesn't work for this kind of incident. I'm thinking of installing a deer whistle. Anyone have any opinions about them?

GIRL ON A MOTORBIKE
Http://louisesbmwbike.blogspot.com
LuluOfDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:36 AM   #37
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
I'm glad you were okay.

Gotta love those big heavy bikes.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:27 AM   #38
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
Glad you are ok. Deer hits are a real problem here in the area surrounding Valley Forge....thanks for the reminder and yes, much better to just hit the brakes anytime you see them near the road. They are very used to cars and will graze along the edge of busy roads, but then they hear a bike (unfamiliar noise), get spooked, and often make a run for it, sometimes right into traffic....

They instituted "deer culls" the last two years. Sharp shooters go in with night vision and take a few hundred out per year. Forests are seeing the first new growth since the mid 80s. Far fewer car hits too...

'12 Tenere, '04 Tiger, '09 WRR, '06 DRZ, '06 TW, '01 250 EXC, '09 KLR
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #39
LBourque
G/S nut

Oddometer: 225
Glad you two are OK. I live in Cornville and always do the Happy Jack, Mormon Lake loop just for giggles. Been stopped in the middle of the road by elk,especially during hunting season. You were very lucky!
LBourque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #40
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,269
Wow! I think you owe big time to your heavy beemer. I didn't even see it the first time I watched the video. I understood something went wrong when you turned around.
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #41
xuare
Gravity wins again

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhichWayNow View Post

This is well worth repeating. When one is startled and starts running, others will usually follow in the same direction, even if that direction is straight into your path.
I second. We were driving down a road in MD and I had commented to the Mrs that I didn't like driving this road because of deer. Immediately the Mrs goes like those, pointing off to the right 10ft off the road to 3 deer. As I fixated on that target one came from the left and ended up under our right side. I even remember thinking "there's an oncoming car so he'd hit the deer...that driver had slowed down and the deer was lost in the glare of his headlights...

Fortunately, we were in the cage and I had begun to slow down for the first set of deer. The infant didn't even wake up.

The other bit of info is an insurance company (State Farm?) Releasesa probability of deer collision by state. I recommend taking a look at it as there is some interesting bits inside. One I remember is HI does apparently have deer...

xuare screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 07:08 AM
xuare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #42
ggrimes2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Wink Deer Jerky!

Glad to see You're OK.
Years ago my dad was killed in his truck on the same road I suspect very near where you met Mr. Deer. He collided with a couple of them, lost control and went down the embankment.

I now live in northern NM and had a close call last year up near Silverton, CO after a long day ride. I was following the wife on her Harley near sunset and we needed to get to Durango for the night. Getting late and the sun just going down so the deer start to get active. Three or four deer bounded in front of her so fast wife could not even hit the brakes. I'm hauling hard on the brake lever when three more passed between her bike and mine so close I could have kicked one of them. Made the rest of the trip into town at 30 mph as they were everywhere as the sun went down.

Maybe I'm being a wimp but I now try and plan my rides so I get back to the superslab or find a place to camp at or near sunset if possible because I have had just too many close calls in the past few years. There is no shortage of deer in the northern part of AZ or NM
ggrimes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #43
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 718
Thumb Ride your ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrimes2 View Post
Glad to see You're OK.
Years ago my dad was killed in his truck on the same road I suspect very near where you met Mr. Deer. He collided with a couple of them, lost control and went down the embankment.

I now live in northern NM and had a close call last year up near Silverton, CO after a long day ride. I was following the wife on her Harley near sunset and we needed to get to Durango for the night. Getting late and the sun just going down so the deer start to get active. Three or four deer bounded in front of her so fast wife could not even hit the brakes. I'm hauling hard on the brake lever when three more passed between her bike and mine so close I could have kicked one of them. Made the rest of the trip into town at 30 mph as they were everywhere as the sun went down.

Maybe I'm being a wimp but I now try and plan my rides so I get back to the superslab or find a place to camp at or near sunset if possible because I have had just too many close calls in the past few years. There is no shortage of deer in the northern part of AZ or NM

Sorry to hear about your Dad's demise due to deer...

I do NOT at all think your survival plans are wimpy in any way!

Just common sense to mitigate a very serious danger in whatever way you decide is best.

Especially considering your personal history w/ these pests.

Avoiding night riding, and using the safety in numbers on the Inter-State system is a good choice;

you can always leave the scenic twisties for the daytime hours.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #44
CollinsB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrimes2 View Post
I'm hauling hard on the brake lever when three more passed between her bike and mine so close I could have kicked one of them.

Not even close to wimp status...it's using good judgment so you can ride again tomorrow. We all learn as we get older.
CollinsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #45
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
http://www.etrailer.com/Electronics/...HM27512VA.html

Friend uses an electronic deer 'whistle'. Claims it will drive the deer lying next to the road away from traffic. Advantage (he says) is sound projection in front of the bike. He mounted it on the front fork of his 1200 GS. Don't know the brand, but if I rode da road, I would look into it. Too many deer in our area.