Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #14521
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,515
Only thing I can add is my logic on heated gloves. If you ride a lot they will wear out and then you've got to throw away all that electrical stuff.
With heated grips (which you can take off the bike when you sell it on) you can wear any gloves you like. And, with some decent hand guards on the bike, the backs of your hands don't get the cold wind blast.
I find that I use my heated grips on chilly summer evenings here in the UK when I've started off in thin summer gloves. Can't do that if you've left your heated gloves at home.

For the body I too use a heated jacket liner, with heated sleeves. Mine is from Gialli which was taken over by a company called KHS (probably gone under as well now??). Had it for years and it still works fine except the heat troller broke last year so I had to buy their new one which had different plugs. So out with the soldering iron.

blacktiger screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 11:22 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #14522
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,033
Heated grips. Thinnish GoreTex gloves (love warm n dry) & Outlast liners.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #14523
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Heated gear really changes the riding experience. I'll never again own a bike without the ability to run it.
Couldn't agree more.

But that said, I'm apparently a little more minimalist than most. I'm fine with just a heated vest and heated grips. As long as my core is toasty warm and my hands are comfortable, my arms don't get very cold, nor do my legs. I actually really enjoy going for rides when it's in the 20s and 30s out provided the roads are dry.

Was out for an early spring ride once with a friend and we stopped at a gas station to take a quick break and have some coffee. We stood there chatting for a moment, drinking our coffee, and the wind was whipping along, and after a few minutes of that one of us turned to the other and said, "Brr, it's cold out here! Let's get back on the bikes where it's warm!"

Yeah, I love electrics.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #14524
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Heated Gear

I use the Tour Master Synergy 2.0 Jacket for two years now and it works great. They have a full line including gloves, chaps and insoles if you want to go whole hog.

I find the Jacket, with the OEM heated grips sufficient, but I also have the Verseo rechargeable thermo soles. They don't get super hot, but enough to keep the chill off and they last about 6 hours. I use them for snowboarding also for which they are great having their own battery source.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #14525
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
I was thinking about heated glove liners as a good solution. Fit of the heavier outer glove would take some care, but it seems one could get just the type of features wanted in the gloves, and still have the benefit of heat as well.
On a side note, I rode a Vstrom 650 a couple of weeks ago, which was my first experience on a bike with longer travel suspension. Compared to my Triumph Legend street bike, the ride was much smoother over the rougher roads in Vermont. I am sure that the suspension on the 800XC must be even better than the Vstrom, so I can really see that having more comfortable suspension over the rougher roads which are becoming more common in the northeast (our states have no money) would be a real plus. Still thinking about 800XC versus TEX or maybe even a Trophy. Oh well, two more years to decide.
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #14526
Farmer Tim
Farmer Tim

Oddometer: 5
budget $200-300

Hey Greasy Rider,
hmmm $200-300. I'm thinking of going with the Oxford heated grips. They're about $80. Much cheaper than the factory ones.
The ironbutt web site has the old Widder heated vests (if they have your size) for $65 or $75 plus $19 for the controller. Throw in a CrampBuster for under $10 and your close to your $200 buget.
Do you have a rainsuit? I was a ways from home and left a friends house late. The temps dropped fast, so I put on my rainsuit. I was still cold, so I stopped at a store and bought a newspaper. I crumbled that up for insulation and had an hour ride home without freezing my butt off.
You can do what others have done and extend the handguards up higher with cut and bent plastic.
How about a poor man's heated gear ? I just bought 40 pairs of hand wamers from COSTCO for $15.
If you have to crack your faceshield open to keep it from fogging up, you may want to put some pretoleum jelly on your cheeks or nose. If all that doesn't keep you warm, stop at every rest area and do pushups. I've been know to drop and do 15 pushups during breaks at meetings when the air conditioning makes it too cold. Eating foods to keeps your metabolism up helps also. Ok, maybe I'm getting a bit carried away, lol.
I appreciated everyones input on the heated gear. If I get a good xmas bonus this year, I'll buy a good heated jacket liner and heated gloves. :-) I haven't had heated gear and from what everyone says, it sounds like the way to go.
It all kind of depends on what you already have or can borrow from friends.
Farmer Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #14527
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,330
In December of last year I rode from.NE Ohio to South Florida, with no heated gear. It was 22 degrees F when I left and the first day was brutal. On the way back I stopped at Cycle Gear in Atlanta and dropped $400+ First Gear gloves, jacket and dual controller.

The rest of the ride was toasty and absolutely no regrets.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #14528
MTBiker78
ENDURO Wanabee

Oddometer: 184
just a short video report from only 2 hours test ride on 2 triumph tigers 800xc

Spacer z tygrysami from Paweł Sadowski on Vimeo.

----------------
I have a new challange ..... X-Challenge ....

www.vimeo.com/mtbiker
http://picasaweb.google.com/lukasz.lechowicz/XChallenge
MTBiker78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:49 AM   #14529
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,973
Nice vid MTBiker78. That's a proper test ride.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #14530
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,468
Fall ride

Just got back from our fall ride down the Oregon coast. My wife likes to stop at antique stores along the way, but complains that "I can never buy anything cause we're always on the bikes". Well she found a couple treasures, and I'm not sure why but I couldn't get the Beverly Hillbillies sound track out of my head the whole way home.

Good thing we only had to ride back to Canada. The border guy had a good laugh when I told him I hauled it all the way from Oregon.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #14531
kid_andres
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Tiger 800 only ....... in action off-road

Fredonia / Antioquia / Colombia / Sout America

Part 1

enjoy.....
kid_andres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #14532
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid_andres View Post
Tiger 800 only ....... in action off-road
Hmm. I must have missed the part where there wasn't a road.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #14533
kid_andres
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Hmm. I must have missed the part where there wasn't a road.

part 1..... will come later, part 2 and 3
kid_andres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #14534
Dubl-A
DS Junkie

Oddometer: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post

That's impressive right there!!
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #14535
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Just got back from our fall ride down the Oregon coast. My wife likes to stop at antique stores along the way, but complains that "I can never buy anything cause we're always on the bikes". Well she found a couple treasures, and I'm not sure why but I couldn't get the Beverly Hillbillies sound track out of my head the whole way home.

Good thing we only had to ride back to Canada. The border guy had a good laugh when I told him I hauled it all the way from Oregon.
Is that the new kermit chair?
That just proves what lengths we will go to keep momma happy