Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #61
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,419
If you have the sense to control your right wrist, and can afford to fix it WHEN you drop it by all means buy it. It's just a bike, nothing to be afraid of. Don't let the drama lamas scare you away, it's not a late 70's multi cylinder two stroke screamer with a shit chassis and brakes.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #62
what car??
down the road

Oddometer: 357
So many opinions out there. A lot to sort through. So I guess I'll chime also.

I rode some bikes as a kid, never owned one though, just borrowed friends.

In 2010 I bought a used KLR in Oct. Not a bad bike, but saw a 950 at the Kawasaki dealership and fell in love with the looks of the thing. Like a dirtbike on steroids, wait it is..... I knew I had to have one. December 2010 I bought a brand spanking new 2010 990. Sold the KLR. I have ridden the thing offroad yes I've dropped it. Learn how to pick it up properly so you don't hurt yourself. I love the bike and wouldn't trade it. There's lots of talk about learning on a smaller bike, I didn't really.... Just jumped in and bought what I wanted, I have a tendency to do that though. There are complaints about this that and the other, people like to complain about things though.... I personally don't mind the oil changes, not really that bad, but people like to complain when things aren't instant or super duper easy.. I like the power of the bike, the looks, the capabilities off road which is more important to me, I love this bike and would buy it again in a heart beat. I have a deep respect for bikes as a whole. I like to take her on dirt roads and trails, like to take her on motocross tracks also, she is a lot of fun!

I guess the best thing to do is test ride her, assess your needs and your future and go from there. I'm not going to say to get it, well maybe a little. Did I mention how awesome of a bike it is??? It's a great bike with lots of character, learn how to turn a wrench and you'll save tons of money. Get some gear and go out and camp, tour, see the world if you want. She is comfortable to ride for hours on end both on and off road. But again, it's just another opinion in a sea of opinions, all are wrong, all are right. They are opinions. What's yours????
what car?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #63
DirtyRoadie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
My first experience riding the 990 adventure made me buy it. I have many many years on road riding experience, almost zero offroad, unless you count mountainbiking in which case I have LOTS(Too much if you ask my wife). I love the Adventure on pavement and dirt roads, it's an awsome touring bike even two up and loaded down. There is hardly anywhere near me to ride off road unless I want to be chased out by angry farmers or angrier law enforcement personell and the few trails we have are very tight, rocky and muddy. We do have lots of dirt roads within an hour ride. The first time I went and rode real off road was a blast but I wasn't comfortable on the beast and was WAY slow compared to my friend on his XR650. So I hit the aftermarket and bought a used Suzuki DRZ400 for my KTM. Problem solved. Yes, I know there are many on this forum that are awsome off road riders and will laugh at my solution to off roading, I'm not that rider, I just try to keep 'er upright.
DirtyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #64
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
The OP asks for opinions but then doesn't want opinions.

"Could" it be a first bike? Yeah. is it a good idea? No.

It's best as a bike for a strong AND experienced rider (and preferably a larger one, though ther have been short people who rode them). It is both high like a dirt bike (approx. 35 inch seat height) and heavy like a street bike (up near 500 lbs. fueled up and ready to ride). Its capabilities would be wasted on a newbie.

Better to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slowly OR ineptly. If this bike is what OP wants that's his problem not mine, but he posted here AND THAT'S MY OPINION. Heck, a high school friend of my daughter bought a Hayabusa as his first bike, a classic stereotype of a fail. He was a careful guy and didn't kill himself. But it was several months before he went higher than 2nd gear. Why would somebody WANT a first bike that was too much for them? So that everyone can laugh at your ineptness when they see how you ride it?

It's like around here there are quite a number of rich old men in BMW cars, creeping around curves at less than the speed limit. Do they look cool? NO. Why get a car like that if you can't fucking drive it. Why get a performance bike that you can't ride worth a shit.

I don't get it.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.

viverrid screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 04:33 PM
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #65
ilyaon OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Better to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slowly
I don't get it.
I think it's a very good point
ilyaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #66
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
I'm going to try to find a nice, low mileage, 950 Adventure, maybe even a sport model, next summer to celebrate the 30th anniversary of my getting my motorcycle license. It will be my first "ADV" bike and I hope its not too much bike for me. Actually I think I will love it from all the impressions and experiences I have read about. I'll be selling my Z1000 and XR650L and this should do most (but not all) of what those bikes did but more in some ways. Looking forward to it. Can't imagine it as a first bike no more than I could imagine my CR250 as a first bike, but whatever. If you want it, get it, just try not to wreck it.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #67
Midlife
HalFassed

Oddometer: 69
Ahhhh...go buy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyaon View Post
I think it's a very good point
The 990a does most things well, and it is as scary as you want it to be. Just cuz " it can" does not mean "you will". How many jeep drivers out there push it to the limit.........buy it, ride it enjoy it.

2008 KTM 990 Adventure, and a bunch of dream bikes in my head.
Midlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #68
Iwantabikesobad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038

When I bought mine the entire sales staff came out into the parking lot to see if I was going to crash it. Ha Fooled them.
The next day I rode it to my grandmothers funeral. Following break in procedures I took it easy until I caught up to a truck and horse trailer on a long winding grade. Got to the top and waited till the first clear road. Had been following in 3 rd.gear, pulled out and cranked the throttle.Remember my other bike was a DR-200. Well I found my self slid back, Arms straight with the throttle still twisting toward the stop. Blue sky was all I could see. Talk about a game changer. I learned respect for the bike in that 4 seconds. It is fairly tame to ride like any other bike but the potential to do hooligan stuff is so easily obtainable. Mine hate less than 3500 rpm and tells me so. Get to 4K and its Go Time. Very smooth and well mannered. Its not happy creeping through inner city,stop/go stuff. It is a bike that enjoys momentum. It has hugh power if you use the gearing and keep the bike in its proper Rpm range. Around town my wifes X-country (650) single is much easier to ride. Lots less shifting and lighter.
Look close at what you really intend to do with it.
Ride pavement and pose in dirt stained gear(bought at pawn shop)
Ride pavement and earn the dirt stains by learning offroad skills.
Ride pavement to get to dirt roads and learn slowly.
Ride hoping to never crash and loose the shiny finish.
Ride only to StarBucks
Plan big,buy Farkles, Be a legend!!!!!!!!
If you make up your mind to own one( Good For You). I still love mine like day one. I dont claim to be a hard core offroader with mine. Heck folks here may laugh at my skills but I am the only one who has to be happy with my choice. It fits my personality and does all I ask it to.
Grandma told me just before she passed on, Cant take money with you,use it making yourself happy.
In 20 years will you look back on this and think (I should have bought it) Its a big leap but doable if your commited.
09 KTM Adv. The Orange ones are faster!
Iwantabikesobad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:21 AM   #69
JohnnyWaffles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Some of you treat this bike as an extension of your dick.

Take it away and you've lost your manhood, hence the elitist commentary on others joining the KTM 990/950 club without the supposed pedigree required.

Thank you to the rational majority who maintain the brains of this forum.

Respectfully,

John
JohnnyWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #70
dave54
mindless thoughts

Oddometer: 56
My opinion would be to go a take a test drive and see how you get on .If you have already built up enough experience then your skillbase should be well able to cope with the 990.If however your talking about starting out as a first timer on an 990 as your first off-road big bike then I would urge caution as you are giving your self a very steep learning curve .The bike itself is very capable off-road and I`m being honest by saying that my step up to the 990 was to progress my skillbase through a series of smaller capacity dirt and duel purpose bikes to where I had the confidence to ride the 990 and enjoy it.It would be a shame if you were to buy the 990 and then find you don`t get on with it, well because I happen to think its one of the best bikes ever built .I use it for multi-country exploration which is what it is brillant at and yes I even ride it to work just because I can..End result is the more you ride it the better your riding skills will be so I say go ahead do yourself a favour, test ride it, and then do the right thing and buy it.Regards Dave
dave54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #71
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoJohn View Post
Some of you treat this bike as an extension of your dick.

Take it away and you've lost your manhood, hence the elitist commentary on others joining the KTM 990/950 club without the supposed pedigree required.

Thank you to the rational majority who maintain the brains of this forum.

Respectfully,

John
+1 Thank you. Half of these posts read like unless you're big, strong, hardcore, extreme and super experienced like me you shouldn't buy it. Just buy it and use some common sense you'll be fine.

PG007
Old 10-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #72
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
+1 Thank you. Half of these posts read like unless you're big, strong, hardcore, extreme and super experienced like me you shouldn't buy it. Just buy it and use some common sense you'll be fine.
With out any previous experience you're not even going to be able to use 1/4 the bike and even simple off-road situations can turn into major obstacles. you'll have a much easier and cheaper time learning to ride on something smaller when it comes to off-road.

Not to mention it sucks allot less to get pile driven by a 250 than a 950.

crofrog screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 02:03 PM
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #73
DragonNester
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
...What lap are we on??
Old 10-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #74
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonNester View Post
...What lap are we on??
4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #75
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crofrog View Post
With out any previous experience you're not even going to be able to use 1/4 the bike and even simple off-road situations can turn into major obstacles. you'll have a much easier and cheaper time learning to ride on something smaller when it comes to off-road.

Not to mention it sucks allot less to get pile driven by a 250 than a 950.
Totally right but none of us can use a 250 to it's potential or we'd be factory racers not work a day stiffs it's all about fun, why tell him he can't have some too?

PG007