User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #16
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Ophir Pass

On top of Ophir Pass, I’m the only one without heated grips… The road down was amazing and scary… I hope someone else was smart enough to get some pics or video…

[IMG]IMG_0663[/IMG]

Looking down... and this the easy part... wish i had taken a pic of what is around the corner...

[IMG]IMG_0666[/IMG]

I think that is Al heading down the mountain

[IMG]IMG_0665[/IMG]
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #17
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Drama!!!!!!!!!

On the way into Moab wild Dave decided to get a jump on deer season and took out a deer! Actually the deer jumped out in front of him while riding down the paved highway. We were just a minute behind him as he was in the lead. My heart sunk when I came around the turn and saw his bike laying over in the middle of the road with bike parts laying everywhere, then I saw him standing up talking to a car driver who was more concerned if the deer’s wellbeing. Dave was talking and coherent but couldn’t move his right-side upper body. Ten minutes later two ladies from Moab pulled up with an empty trailer. One of them Debbie jumped out and took control, she loaded up Dave in the cab and we loaded the bike in back. They took Dave to the hospital and stored his bike until we could retrieve it the next day. Dave is from Colorado, so a friend brought his truck and trailer the next day, so Dave could get home. Believe it or not he had no broken bones! He will live to ride again!

Note: this is Dave’s second time to hit a deer.

[IMG]IMG_0671[/IMG]

That is Dave sitting down pain... and all of us in a daze not sure what to do yet... just a couple minutes after the wreck...

[IMG]IMG_0672[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0674[/IMG]

Check out the bumper sticker... she has a Blue Healer...

[IMG]IMG_0675[/IMG]
Old 10-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #18
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Only in Moab

IMG_0676
Old 10-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #19
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Camping at Starvation Lake

We had to skip some parts of the UTBDR because of rain… here we are camped out at Starvation Lake in Utah.

[IMG]IMG_0682[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0685[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0687[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0689[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0690[/IMG]
Old 10-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #20
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Road Closed

We road a long time to get to this road closed sign… so we decided to keep going… We talked the road crew in letting us pass, three different times… The road construction was a bit treacherous, sure glad it wasn’t raining at the time. I think Brad has some video…

[IMG]IMG_0691[/IMG]
Old 10-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #21
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Almost To The End

Almost to the end, just a few hours from Garden City Utah, Brads bike is making a goofy noise, turns out one of his rear wheel bearing is completely shredded. George and Al went toward Ogden to look for a new bearing and Curt and I went to Garden City to a pick up Curt’s tires he had shipped there. We changed his bike to street tires in the parking lot for his long journey back to North Carolina.

[IMG]IMG_0696[/IMG]

Changing Tires...

[IMG]IMG_0698[/IMG]

Here is Curt with his knobbies packed up and ready to go to the post office to ship back home...

[IMG]IMG_0705[/IMG]

Garden City is famous for raspberry shakes... every place in town sells them... Curt is loading up a to-go bottle for the guys back at camp working on the wheel...

[IMG]IMG_0701[/IMG]
Old 10-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #22
Dadayama OP
Constant Adventurer

Final Thoughts

Can’t express enough how awesome, incredible, beautiful, life-affirming, awe-inspiring, challenging, scary, etc this trip was… I had a long ride back to Oklahoma, and all I could think about was doing it again… Actually I missed my wife and family quite a bit.

Still, ------looking to the future!

Also... I don't know how to put into humanly words the respect and admiration i have for the guys i rode with. They are truly great individuals and amazing adventures and it was amazing opportunity to see such great country with them. I am forever in their debt...

Hopefully they will fill in the holes with pictures and stories...
Old 10-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #23
Merfman
Trustin' my cape...

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadayama View Post
Can’t express enough how awesome, incredible, beautiful, life-affirming, awe-inspiring, challenging, scary, etc this trip was… I had a long ride back to Oklahoma, and all I could think about was doing it again… Actually I missed my wife and family quite a bit.

Still, ------looking to the future!

Also... I don't know how to put into humanly words the respect and admiration i have for the guys i rode with. They are truly great individuals and amazing adventures and it was amazing opportunity to see such great country with them. I am forever in their debt...

Hopefully they will fill in the holes with pictures and stories...
Looks like an epic trip! Glad you enjoyed and survived to share!
Merfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #24
gmsnowball
Black Bear Pass

Oddometer: 882
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadayama View Post
I left Oklahoma and headed to Pueblo, Colorado to stay with my friend Bob on day one. He had just moved to Colorado from Oklahoma… He and his wife are the nicest people, I’m sad he moved away, and glad for him at the same time.

Here is my Princess camping overnight with a corvette...

[IMG]IMG_0602[/IMG]

The blue DRZ in front of your bike was mine, I sold it to Bob just before he moved to Colorado unless there is another Bob and Bev L. that also race Corvettes. Small world..

12 Super Tenere
gmsnowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #25
Newner
Buffering

Oddometer: 1,521
Old 10-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #26
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Oddometer: 1,556
Looks like a blast! I hate sitting at a desk reading in sheer envy!!
Old 10-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #27
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,061
When?

Sorry if I missed it, but ... When did you take this trip?
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #28
Tragic Overlander
Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Good to ride with you, nice to still be alive

Hi Pete,

It was a great ride for me until I hit the deer. I have heard from Brad, and it looks like you guys had a fun trip after leaving Moab. I really enjoyed riding with you, and hopefully we will see you out in the Mountains again soon.

After you left, I had a day feeling sorry for myself in Moab This was made a little more tolerable with narcotic pain pills After an event like that, the inevitable soul searching made me think a lot about my family and friends, and how much everyone means to me I concluded that I was extremely lucky. To walk away from a 60mph impact with no broken bones, a couple of bruises and scratches, and a torn rotator cuff, is nothing short of a miracle.

A huge thanks to the wonderful folks at KLIM - i was wearing an Adventure Rally Jacket and Pants, as well as gloves. The helmet also took a fair impact. The Doctor at Moab hospital said that if I hadn't been wearing the gear, "we would not be having this conversation" ATGATT

The bike is being assessed for insurance right now. Will know more in a couple of days, but at this stage everything appears to be straight with just cosmetic damage.

Once again, thanks for the ride. Hope you made it home safe!

Dave
Tragic Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #29
georgee2
Curious George

Oddometer: 12
The Rest of the Trip

Hey Peter & gang,

I just got home this evening. The head and chest cold that I had been nursing all week hammered me good and made a long trip out of it. Even so I did manage to have some fun on the trip home.

After you left us Brad and I pushed on to Garden City. It was a real nice ride on fairly easy dirt roads with a lot of the roads being a lot of fun. At Garden City we camped out at a small RV park that was closed for the season. The owner (or camp host?) let us stay for 5 bucks a tent and the showers still had hot water so we were all over that deal.

On Sunday we headed back south and since the weather had improved so much we decided to try Section 4 of the UTBDR from North to South. This would run us through the point where I wrecked last year and allow me to say that I had ridden every inch of the UTBDR. After about 25 or 30 miles of pretty good road turning to gravel turning to trail we hit some very muddy and slippery pitches through aspen forests. Just when we thought we had done the worst of it we came to a very steep, muddy and rutted pitch. We debated and decided to give it a go knowing that if one of us went down it wasn't going to be a pretty situation trying to get going again. We made it up but I must admit I was at the limit of my technical abilities in those particular conditions. Being good BMW riders we of course indulged in a Starbucks beverage at the top. The rest was pretty easy going to the sight of my crash. A few nice mud wallows but nothing we couldn't get through. It was however tough enough that we decided to bail out at the Soldiers Summit gas turn instead of pushing on and completing Section 4. From memory we figured about 10 more miles of possibly muddy, slippery trail and it was wet enough we felt we could likely hit an impassable point on the trail. From Soldiers Summit we hit the slab back to Starvation Lake at Duchesne. There were quit a few more people there since it was the weekend but we still managed to score a very nice camp spot, even nicer than the one we had a few days before when you were with us. Of course the slightly warmer weather was a plus for making a nice night of camping also.

The next day Brad and I had breakfast at Vernal and parted ways. I rode north and explored Colorado County Road 318 which is one of the Lost Highways on the Butler "Rocky Mountains" map. I got to ride about 30 miles of nice gravel road before hitting 318 at the Colorado Border. Nothing super special but still a fun ride. I was so drained from this damn cold that I grabbed a flea bag motel at Steamboat Springs and slept for 14 straight hours.

Yesterday (Monday, Oct. 1) I was so rejuvenated I decided to head to Encampment, Wyoming via the forest service roads north of Steamboat. I probably would have made it home to North Platte but I got trapped at a most excellent little museum at Encampment for several hours so I only made it to Oliver State Reservoir just west of Kimball Nebraska. I have went by this place literally thousands of times on the train so decided I'd better check it out. It was off season so it was pretty well closed up but I did manage a nice camp sight and made friends with the only two other people in the entire park. They were two older gals, sisters and were a ton of fun. This morning they brought me fresh baked chocolate cake and coffee. We chatted for over three hours and when I finally left camp I had a little tear in my eye knowing that I would never see them again.

Anyhow that's the rest of the story for me. Thanks for taking the time to create your most excellent write-up of our trip. I didn't take many pictures so can't add much to the thread in that respect. I suspect Brad will be able to help out in that respect. It was a truly great trip despite the weather and adversities. I hope we can pull something together next year.

George
Old 10-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #30
cbOwl
just ridin somewhere

Oddometer: 84
Thanks for the write up Pete. Nice job.

Dave, I think you are right - that was nothing short of a miracle. Sure glad you're still with us and came out as good as you did - and hope to ride with you again. It was an awesome trip and sure enjoyed riding with each one of you.

George - did the ladies ask you how old you were like the man in Odgen???

I'd post a picture of Kebler Pass since you guys all missed it riding over in the dark, but I'll have to email it.

Kurt make it home yet??

Whats next???
cbOwl is offline   Reply With Quote