Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
Engineer John OP
Engineer

Oddometer: 21
Ridin It Down

I've had two downs in the past twelve years that resulted in hospital visits and in both cases I was still on the handlebars when it was digging dirt. Why is that? Guys that bail never seem to get hurt.

Anyways the second one, the left collarbone was remarkable in that I knew it was broken right away so I thought "Gotta pick up the bike before it starts to hurt otherwise I'll be walking home."

Well I got it up and swung a leg over and then passed out from the pain.

So I wake up, stand up and start shaking out the cobwebs and a cyclist comes by and asks: Should I call an ambulance?" I say "No, but could you give me a hand standing this up?"

She fires right up (first time ever it doesn't flood when lying down) and I drive the 2 miles home. I get home and I am soaked in sweat ; I've been under my brother's motor home bleeding brakes and getting filthy. So I decide to have a shower before going to the emergency room for an X-ray and sling.

Mistake. Trying to get the wet T'shirt off over my head I found the pain excruciating. I look at my collar bone and the skin has several wrinkles over the bump where the break was. I then did a dance to get the shirt off without lifting my arm.

My wife comes home and can't believe I've broken another one. I show her the wrinkles and she says sh__. I spend a couple hours turning gray in emergency and finally the X-ray and a doctor comes out and says "Yup it's definitely the collarbone. Cheerfully he says "We can't help you, we'll just sling it up and give you some pain pills"

Man those Oxycodone (same as Oxycontin) are powerful. One tablet by mouth and the pain was gone in 10 minutes.

Last big ride this year I lock up the back wheel on gravel (missed a gear while standing and accidentally stomped on the brake I think) and slide down the road on the right side. I look down in horror to see my elbow grinding along the gravel surface. Sh__ . I'm still hanging onto the bars! No elbow pads but a rakish tear in the jacket sleeve.

Dirt riding seems so much safer than road riding with all the texters, drinkers and just plain bad drivers out there. When riding a bike there is no "insulation" like in a car.

John
Engineer John is offline   Reply With Quote