Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #16
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
Pretty sure the lower gear was first intorduced in '08
and getting moving with a load being hard on the clutch is exactly what I worry about in hacking my std '07 GS. I'm not a huge fan of the GSA as a solo bike, but (unlike a solo bike) that lower gear and bigger tank really are a huge advantage for a hack.
IF I had bought a GSA ('08 or newer) it would be the bike I'd hack, with no second thoughts.
This is my first Beemer and I have no clue as to history and what came with what bike on what year. I think that an over all gear change came in 08 for both the GS & GSA. I did buy a lower gear ratio final drive to make it a bit easier to get moving. Not that it was really that hard to begin with, but I also didn't need gearing for 125 mph either. I suppose if you were loaded for bear and had stopped on a hill in San Francisco you might flog the clutch to get moving, but normal driving, fairly loaded, no need to abuse the clutch.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:18 AM   #17
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
This is my first Beemer and I have no clue as to history and what came with what bike on what year. I think that an over all gear change came in 08 for both the GS & GSA. I did buy a lower gear ratio final drive to make it a bit easier to get moving. Not that it was really that hard to begin with, but I also didn't need gearing for 125 mph either. I suppose if you were loaded for bear and had stopped on a hill in San Francisco you might flog the clutch to get moving, but normal driving, fairly loaded, no need to abuse the clutch.
I didn't realize there was a lower geared FD available for the 1200? There WAS a 3.0 FD at Max BMW, but I haven't seen it on thier site for a while. The stock ratio change in '08 was pretty insignificant (IIRC < 2%) and even the 3.0 is only 3% lower. The lower 1st gear in the GSA "enduro" trans makes the biggest difference.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:09 AM   #18
mauricedonini
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Go with the Ural. It's a load of fun!
mauricedonini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:09 AM   #19
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
and getting moving with a load being hard on the clutch is exactly what I worry about in hacking my std '07 GS. I'm not a huge fan of the GSA as a solo bike, but (unlike a solo bike) that lower gear and bigger tank really are a huge advantage for a hack.
IF I had bought a GSA ('08 or newer) it would be the bike I'd hack, with no second thoughts.
Yes, ignore my comments; I overlooked that you were talking about 1200 GS-en and not 1150's.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #20
jaydmc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,000
We have not tried it yet but BMW has a final drive for the R900 used in Europe that my dealer says can be ordered in. Not sure what the ratio is, Looked it up at one time. I have owned two R1200GS's with sidecars and built many more (we are up to just about 500 GS sidecars built so far) the only time I really wished I had a different final drive was when I towed out tent trailer to a BMW rally.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #21
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,304
Somehow I have fallen into a situation where we have both.
They are both different animals... for different situations and Mr Cob expressed it perfectly.
For myself, having reverse, 2 WD as an option and going slower [photography] is the key and I am afraid that the GS is going to sit covered and be used only for the black top which we do not ride that often...
Imagine yourself on a pass where suddenly you have to make a U Turn and have no reverse and barely room to turn around. I have sometimes spend hours trying to turn around. No more apprehension now... I know it can be done in minutes!
So it is a choice...
Do you want to see the true beauty of this country off road or just what the tourists contemplate through the nicely paved or if dirt flattened roads?
You need both...

Stay well... Ara and Spirit

BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #22
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
I think someone was looking for Mr. Cob's Ural video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz1sTwI536k
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #23
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,353
I am a firm believer in one of each personally.

And the adventure tub may it rest in peace:

99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #24
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,852
Being new to hacks but a 30+ year rider, I'll add my two cents...

If you have the money to hack the GS, then spend part of it on a used rig to "test drive." If you like the experience, then you should be able to sell the rig and put the money back into the GS build. If you don't like driving a hack, then, again, you sell the rig and you still have the GS to enjoy.

I bought a Kawasaki Concours / Hannigan rig from OgreFL in May and have been retraining my brain for the last few months. I still haven't decided if the Connie will become a permanent part of the stable or if it will fund a hack build on one of our other bikes but the test drive has been an enjoyable one.

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #25
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
You need one of each, a hack plus a 2 wheeler. I have a GS plus a Ural Retro, find myself taking the Retro everywhere but if I need to get somewhere or have some miles to cover I take the GS.

I see from another thread you're planning on hitting the BRP soon, PM me. I have a place near milepost 199 (US Hwy 52 and Fancy Gap VA) and if I'm there you can try out the retro on the BRP - a road and speed limit perfect for a Ural.

A GS with a tub sounds like a winner to me.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #26
GypsyWriter OP
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4PawsHacienda View Post
You need one of each, a hack plus a 2 wheeler. I have a GS plus a Ural Retro, find myself taking the Retro everywhere but if I need to get somewhere or have some miles to cover I take the GS.

I see from another thread you're planning on hitting the BRP soon, PM me. I have a place near milepost 199 (US Hwy 52 and Fancy Gap VA) and if I'm there you can try out the retro on the BRP - a road and speed limit perfect for a Ural.

A GS with a tub sounds like a winner to me.
I may take you up on that!! We're about to cross into Arizona so have a little ways to go, but we've been looking forward to the BRP. Having a blast so far except that highway 40 out of California is a bland and boring road (we're used to this scenery).

It's a blast to ride my GS Rallye - I love the way this beauty handles - but the idea of hacking her is becoming more and more enticing. The idea of bringing my pup on these excursions (of which there will hopefully be many more), as well as being relatively unafraid over rough terrain (yes, I really am a total wuss), is a big draw. Plus, I find these hacked bikes to be so awesome!!

Man, I'm almost ready for this cross-country trip to be over so I can start really researching my options (and its only day 2!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #27
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,400
Don't wish your trip away. I so wish I could hop on my Ural and do it all over again tomorrow. It sounds like you already have an offer of a decently priced tub and accessories on page 1 of this thread, plus two beemers. Hack one with that tub and be done with it. If that wasn't the case I'd be saying to try the Ural. I did a little over a year ago and quickly wanted 2wd so I upgraded to our Gear Up. No regrets. I'll also add that I still enjoy my 2 wheelers and would never only have a sidecar rig. To me that's like saying a snowmobile replaces a dirt bike. Two very different toys for sure.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #28
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
The way the dealer told it to me was that the enduro tranny was an option on the GSA from '05 - '07.
In 2008 it became standard on the Adventure model.
I have an '06 GSA without the enduro tranny and wish I had it simply for the lower first gear.
My clutch is suffering...

My vote is to hack the GS.

Cheers.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:51 AM   #29
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,555
About that R100GS, nice tug but suffers from highway-itis which you being Cali-based would suggest a fatal flaw. By this I mean that it's comfortable at 55. It'll go faster of course but your fuel consumption will suffer badly as will your oil. You can change things around to make it go happy at 65 but then of course you'll be taking fistfuls of low speed performance away.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #30
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,684
A good used Ural will cost less than having the GS professionally hacked. A good used Ural will also hold its value if you decide after a while to sell it and hack the GS.

You will never be able recoup the amount of money you spend hacking a GS if the need to sell it arises.

I have a GS I was considering hacking to go off-roading as my Goldwing hack didn't like it. I ended up buying a 2007 Ural Patrol with 2500 miles for $6k. I have never had a bike that put as big a smile on my face as this Ural does. I have put 4000 km on it in the 2 months I've owned it, about double my previous normal amount of riding on all of my other bikes combined.

Highwayitis isn't a terminal disease. Even living in So Cal I can usually find a scenic back road. If I have to get on the freeway, the Ural will cruise at 60 just fine in the right lane.

Anyway, my opinion (and you know what they say about opinions ) .... Get a used Ural first

Gratuitous sidecar / dog photo off road at Obsidian Dome near Mammoth

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote