Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #46
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
In rural area of Texas a lot of cages will move over on the shoulder to let you by, even though I can usually pass them without help, but I am sure to give them a big wave.

In the city (DFW), they move over the other direction, to try and prevent you from passing. I give them the ADV salute.
Seems that way in most of rural texas. I was baffled on my first trip from houston to austin when folks moved over on the shoulder. Houston is the same way towards bikers and cars, they will block you and if you filter or split lanes they will run you over or open a door on you.

The adv salute in Houston will get you shot , or run over real quick. Not recommended.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #47
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
In rural area of Texas a lot of cages will move over on the shoulder to let you by, even though I can usually pass them without help, but I am sure to give them a big wave.
The only place I've ever seen this done was by the friendly and good drives of Canada up on two-lane roads. They'd be doing 80 or 85 MPH and put half of their vehicle on the shoulder to let us pass.

Always nice to have a somewhat sticky throttle cable to be able to wave with the right hand, lol.

I am really impressed that Texans do it since most drivers in America aren't even capable of operating their cage correctly, let alone being aware of their surroundings, courteous, and professional.
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #48
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
Heres a different one for ya. Local rider (Screen name of Ozymandias) traveling across one of the bridges coming into San Francisco lost control and hit the barrier head on. Fell 60+ feet to the hood of an Illegally Parked SUV. Landed on his back on the hood of the SUV. Lived to tell the Tale. How often do you hear of a rider's life being SAVED By an SUV. if it hadnt been there and he had hit the pavement he would have died. as it is he walks, talks, and Rides still.
Are you sure this isn't the thread you were thinking about?

Locally, this doesn't happen very often, but numerous times this summer while my wife and I were touring around BC and Washington State, we had vehicles slow down and/or pull over to wave us past on scenic twisty sections of highway.

Its a far cry from the cagers here on my commute who do everything they can do make my commute as adversarial an event as possible.
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #49
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,123
I was talkin about Ozymandias. Didnt know he had comitted suicide.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #50
CSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Couple of years back, myself and a couple others were heading back to Kansas. We knew there was rain ahead, but didn't know how bad.

An old guy at a gas station asked our destination, and then told us that they were having golf ball sized hail in the next county..he pointed out a nearby car wash, and suggested we seek shelter. 'bout twenty minutes later, we had golf ball sized hail and 50 mph winds.....had he not stopped, we would have most likely been in a world of hurt.

The ones I really appreciate tho? The ones that don't try to kill me.....
CSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:18 AM   #51
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
in ireland most car drivers move left to let you pass down the centre, instead of having to wait until a break in traffic to overtake. they flash their left blinker to let you know that they are letting you by
Old 09-20-2012, 02:50 AM   #52
thunderkat59
Cooter on a scooter

Oddometer: 1,188
I hit a patch of 'creosote(?) that was sprayed on rail road ties above a RR bridge/ curve that are plentiful in PA on my Softtail. It mixed with morning dew and was crazy slippery. The giant behemoth fishtailed and overcorrected off the dropped shoulder so I had to lay r down. A little dazed, I couldnt lift the beast because I didnt see the tip of the fender stuck under the guard rail. A passing car driver helped me lift it and gave me his phone to tell my Wife of the dilemma.
thunderkat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:50 PM   #53
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
I was talkin about Ozymandias. Didnt know he had comitted suicide.
As FalconX mentioned earlier, BARF's Ozymandias and ADV's Ozymandias are definitely two different people. ADV's Ozy wasn't around when BARF's Ozy had his wreck.
der_saeufer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #54
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
After crashing at 70mph on the freeway, I wound up in the central reservation and my bike was on the hard shoulder. The moment I was stood up and gave the thumbs up I was okay, the assholes in all three lanes started moving, stranding me in the middle of the motorway. With rush hour traffic, I could have been there for hours before I could cross, never mind that standing doesn't mean uninjured. Mercifully, a very kind cager (not to mention one with good observations) several cars back saw what was happening and selflessly slewed his car horizontally, blocking the two fastest lanes. He then got out and forced the traffic on the inside lane to stop (just by hand gestures, nothing was blocking them). He then checked I was okay and that I could walk over to the hard shoulder. He then moved his own car onto the hard shoulder, before waving for the traffic to start moving. He then went and got my tank bag, which had come off the bike and then helped me pick the bike up. He hung around until I had checked the bike over and managed to ride it away. Hell of a guy.

I've stopped to help at accidents since that day.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #55
Goldburg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Helping out in a bad spot

I was just up in the Linville NC gorge area and despite a few warnings I was gonna take my 1200gs up and over NC105 to wiseman's view. I'd been on some rough stuff earlier in the week and thought I could handle rutted up gravel. Well I was going up a steep incline and saw some knee deep ruts ahead and stopped the bike before I got into them. I was unsuccessful turning the bike around and dumped it at zero speed. After no luck lifting the bike by myself (the wheels were uphill and all the weight was below), I gathered a few things from the bike for the two mile walk back to civilization. I hadn't been down 10 minutes when this sedan pulls up and asks if this is the road that goes to Linville Falls. I told them no, but if they'd help, I'd be glad to lead them there.

The guys got out of the car and we righted the bike and it cranked right up. What a huge relief...
Old 09-24-2012, 03:03 AM   #56
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,970
Ran out of petrol yesterday and the first car stopped and gave me a lift the 15 km to the petrol station.

Very grateful Phil and Anna.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #57
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,328
Running the slab at 11:30 pm out in rural Oklahoma following a tractor trailer to run blocker for deer. Sure enough the truck makes an exagerated swerve and when I approach the spot there is a big ole doe munching on grass.
little foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #58
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
The other day while I was in my truck I got passed by a dude on a crotch rocket. when we get to the light I am first in line, he is behind one car. I stop way back, and when he looks over at me I wave him in front. i knew thats where he wanted to be anyway, just smart enough to not jump in front of a one ton pickup with little room to spare. Sure enough, when the light changed he took off like a bat out of hell, and a mile down the road his hat blew off.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #59
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,653
Old 10-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #60
skag
ResistsEnlightenment

Oddometer: 349
Kind of a convoluted story, but it does come around to the thread title. My other than riding passion is multi hull sailing and racing. A long time ago the Skagette and I ditched the kids, hooked up the Hobie 16 and headed headed for the mountains for a weekend of camping and sailing. Got to a camping spot very late and had not watched the gas gauge, I realized in the morning I was on dead empty. And bigger than shit, ran out on the way back down the hill to the only store/station within miles. I thumb a ride to the store, buy a can and 5 gallons and thumb a ride back. Pour the gas and the car is at an angle on the shoulder and 5 gallons doesnt fill to the sender and no amount of priming will get it started and ran the battery down trying. Now we were on a pretty lightly traveled road and it was early in the season. The only 2 cars Id seen up to now were the one that gave me a ride to get gas and the ride back. Im pissed, wifey is tripping and WTF, a low rider Chevy pulls up and stops and three 1% ers from hell emerge. I swear these guys were caricatures of 1%ers, prison tats and all,these guys could be bad fucking news. They were kind of amused as I told my tale of woe. And went to work, siphoned their own gas and gave me a jump and got me going. I couldnt believe my luck, as we were wrapping up I asked the ringleader how come they went so far out of their way to give me a hand. He gets this grin and says a while back he "went down on his scoot" was on the side of the road all fucked up and the only one to stop was towing "one of them little boats". The guy got his bike up and running, straightened some stuff, got him bandaged and on his way. He says "so I tells myself, them guys with them little boats,man they're OK"
Took some cash for their effort and promised to blow it on a round of schnapps.
skag is offline   Reply With Quote