Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #91
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

A Doctorate Degree in common sense?

Yeah, right up until the F-350 with dual rear wheels suddenly changes lanes and crushes
the legs of the filtering rider. Then maybe it doesn't look like common sense
as much as it looks like a call-out for the MBB helicopter on life flight duty.

( the preceding is a hypothetical scenario intended to illustrate that riding like an idiot
may have dire consequences which seem to appear suddenly though they can often be predicted
well in advance if you bother to think about what you are doing )

It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #92
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 21,075
Human Ills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #93
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post

WIth "comments" like the above it's easy to see how
your post count is so high.

It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #94
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
Yeah, right up until the F-350 with dual rear wheels suddenly changes lanes and crushes
the legs of the filtering rider. Then maybe it doesn't look like common sense
as much as it looks like a call-out for the MBB helicopter on life flight duty.

( the preceding is a hypothetical scenario intended to illustrate that riding like an idiot
may have dire consequences which seem to appear suddenly though they can often be predicted
well in advance if you bother to think about what you are doing )

Exactly how the fuck is your mythical dually going to change lanes when everyone is already stopped and packed in like sardines at an intersection?

I filtered and shared for years every day through central Phoenix and I never saw anything close to what you're saying.

And to "crush" it would have to roll over.

When I was sharing if someone would have moved over it would have been uncomfortable and maybe left a few bruises, but crush?

Give me a fucking break.

Edit: Why the fuck did I even bother writing that?

You are just some chickenshit fucktard that doesn't even bother to list ANYTHING about themselves in their profile.

Feel free to go fuck yourself.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #95
_Davi_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Living in the EU where it is legal, people here don't seem to understand that a filtered bike does NOT diminish anything for the cage in front AT ALL. Long line at a red. Filter through at a considerate pace. At the front, either slip in front of one of the two cars (even if it is all the way up, there is ALWAYS room for a bike length); if not, stay between the front two. Watch the damn light. When it goes green, goose it. There is NO car short of a lamborghini that can out-accelerate any of our bikes off the line, so you won't be holding anyone up.

Green, goose, gone. Amirite? Of course I am. I do it every day.
1977 VW Westy camper bus
1976 feet (no titanium yet!)
_Davi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #96
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 21,075
Quote:
WIth "comments" like the above it's easy to see how
your post count is so high.

I will admit that you obviously spent a lot of time neatly typing up your ignorance for all to see.
Human Ills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #97
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,768
For all you California haters....it's not illegal here!
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #98
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
Exactly how the fuck is your mythical dually going to change lanes when everyone is already stopped and packed in like sardines at an intersection?

You are just some chickenshit fucktard that doesn't even bother to list ANYTHING about themselves in their profile.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #99
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 1,243
Quote:
On a public road, surprise is a bad thing and predictability is a good thing.
On the public road people should be fully aware of their surroundings... so a motorcycle slipping past should not be a surprise. Unfortunately most drive along with their brains in neutral which is why they get 'surprised'.

A motorcycle filtering may be just what is needed to wake the drones up They are, afterall, operating vehicles on the public road and should be alert.
dbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:12 AM   #100
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,776
Quote:
Some of the drivers who are pissed off at you because you filtered might not be not pissed off because they are jealous -- they might well be pissed off because your bike appeared out of nowhere and they nearly hit you and it scared them.
These would be the same drivers who are no doubt so immersed in their own little world as to not be aware of what's going on around them? I don't see how they can hit you if they are stopped at a light.

Quote:
This problem is not limited to filtering : we have all been surprised by someone who changes lanes without using a turn signal. On a public road, surprise is a bad thing and predictability is a good thing.
You mean the driver who is again not paying attention to their surroundings. And by that I mean the person changing lanes as well as the one who is being surprised.

It is a sense of entitlement that causes drivers to get pissed off by filtering. If they didn't feel like they "owned" the road it wouldn't bother them. A bike going 1 or 2 MPH past a bunch of stopped cars does not put the car drivers or rider in danger.

The legality of it is a different matter. If it is illegal where you are and you do it, it is breaking the law. Same as speeding. Same as texting or talking on a cell. Some laws make sense, some less so. It wasn't so long ago that we had laws based on race. Would you argue those laws were right because that was what people expected?

MJS screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 02:20 AM
MJS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:16 AM   #101
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,991
Quote:
Your "logic" above fails

And that little piece of silliness, which combined highly debatable justifications with a misunderstanding of the original question , is an example of real logic? Good to know.
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:24 AM   #102
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post

When permitted, the benefits of splitting and filtering far outweigh any additional risk or hurt feelings, even where illegal there are going to be times where it's going to be necessary or prudent, and the negatives have also been covered.
All I'm really trying to say is we should acknowledge that when we choose to not follow the law we are in the wrong, and do it with discretion, reserving it for when really necessary. We shouldn't be using "safety" as an excuse to do it habitually.
The thing is that in many areas safety IS an issue and filtering adds to a riders safety. As I stated earlier it is likely that this varies by region, city, etc but you simply can not discount the very real safety benefits provided by filtering.
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:49 AM   #103
mamm
< advertise here! >

Oddometer: 200
Man, judging by the reaction here, mentioning "filtering" to some Americans is akin to saying something like "I raped your underage daughter, killed her and then buttfucked her corpse."

Lighten up, fellas. All the world does it, it's no big deal. The cars stopped at the light are going nowhere, and no one dies if you filter slowly and carefully to the front.

Think about a container full of bowling balls: there's lots of empty spaces for marbles in it. And get ghis: WHEN THE MARBLES GO IN, NO BOWLING BALL LOOSES ITS SPACE! THERE'S NO "CUTTING IN LINE"!

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.
mamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:22 AM   #104
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
The thing is that in many areas safety IS an issue and filtering adds to a riders safety. As I stated earlier it is likely that this varies by region, city, etc but you simply can not discount the very real safety benefits provided by filtering.
I don't think anyone is discounting the benifits. We would all love to do it.

I think there is no doubt that it is illegal in most places. However, were there is disagreement is in the viability of "safely" doing it. Some say it is, some say it isn't.

Like most things, people who disagree take their point of view to extremes and refuse to listen to the other/opposite point of view. Hense, this thread, and the animosities presented here.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:25 AM   #105
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm View Post
Man, judging by the reaction here, mentioning "filtering" to some Americans is akin to saying something like "I raped your underage daughter, killed her and then buttfucked her corpse."

Lighten up, fellas. All the world does it, it's no big deal. The cars stopped at the light are going nowhere, and no one dies if you filter slowly and carefully to the front.

Think about a container full of bowling balls: there's lots of empty spaces for marbles in it. And get ghis: WHEN THE MARBLES GO IN, NO BOWLING BALL LOOSES ITS SPACE! THERE'S NO "CUTTING IN LINE"!
True, but all it takes is one pissed off self centered asshat cager actively trying to run you down to make you consider not doing it again. Yes, this has happened to me.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote