Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 06:22 AM   #1
Marylander OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Carpal Tunnel surgery - impact on riding?

Anyone have carpal tunnel surgery? I'm thinking about going ahead and getting this done since it affects my riding (my right hand in particular). I'm curious about the recovery time, how long until you could ride again, and how long until you could ride aggressively again. I have big issues with it when dirt riding as both hands go dead within just a few minutes. It's kind of hard to let go and knock some life into them while dodging trees/rocks. When commuting I can keep the left alive but the right hand doesn't make it far before it's dead.
Marylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:36 AM   #2
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,113
Many posted in this thread...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=carpal
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
Marylander OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Duh, not sure why I didn't think to do a search. Could it be that my brain is elsewhere since I'm just anxiously waiting for the mail for my new chain and sprockets so I can leave the house? Nah, it was just plain ole stupid. ;) Thanks!
Old 05-26-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
Stevunruly
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Carpal Tunnel

I have had surgery on both hands and can say it was one of the best things I ever did. Immediate relief and quick healing time. Certainly beats the alternative.
Stevunruly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #5
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,742
I had mine done one at a time in Feb-Mar with the endoscope, so minimal slicing. I had to "stay off that hand" for about 2 weeks after surgery and at 3 to 4 weeks I was able to ride again. My palms/wrists are still a little tender and I figure "full recovery" will take about 6 months. But after 6 weeks I was at about 95%. Flex your fingers, exercise that hand (per doctor's instructions), you'll be needing to break and free up the adhesions that reult from any surgery.

Get it done. It makes a lot of difference in quality of life. I dealt with carpal tunnel for 20-25 years and wish I'd had it done much sooner. Since the Medial nerve was squeezed and distressed for so long it's taking some time to recover by itself-- I have a slight amount of residual numbness in the thumb and firsty three fingers of the right hand. It's very different from the CP numbness and it is not as debilitating, and it's slowly clearing up.

Riding is so much fun without the hands going numb after a few minutes...
Old 05-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,322
this is a good cutting

Had both hands done & it is well worth the after discomfort.
Problem is getting in a hurry & not keeping up w/ the PT.....you can set yourself back, way back.

I'm 68 & it was one of many cutting I have had to under go just to stay in the game of a good life. This was at the top of the list.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylander View Post
Anyone have carpal tunnel surgery? .
Mine flared up really fast in March of 2005. Both hands it was acute. Tried physic for 6 weeks, and was able to jump the line in BC due to our private clinics and see a hand and plastic surgery doc in mid april. Canada's health care program had me on an 18-24 wait for the right hand I write with that. My left hand surgery was wait listed at 36 months or longer.

We tried some other treatments including have a big f'ing needle shoved up at the top of my hand into my wrist for a cortisone. I told the Doc if he ever did that to me again I would have to confess a murder. He looked at me kinda funny and I said, yes and it will be your murder i will be confessing to

I had my left wrist operated on June 1st and my right wrist done 3 weeks later.

They will only do both simultaneously if your have someone who likes helping you poop. :loll

How did it work out ?

In Mid August i rode in and finished (albeit mid pack) the 05 Iron Butt Rally

The only lingering issue i have is glove fit around my wrists and i am very fussy on MC ergonomics. Helimot makes gloves for me that accommodate my wrists.

Get it done the surgical techniques are far more advanced now than then.
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
yzmaico
Slacker

Oddometer: 307
Had my right arm done, both Carpal and Ulnar, worked great for me
yzmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
Marylander OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Alright, I'm calling the doc first thing on tuesday. Thanks all!
Old 05-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #10
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,113
Quote:
Duh, not sure why I didn't think to do a search. Could it be that my brain is elsewhere since I'm just anxiously waiting for the mail for my new chain and sprockets so I can leave the house? Nah, it was just plain ole stupid. ;) Thanks!
No problema. It will be good to have info here too.

Caught early is best!
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,886
Quote:
Alright, I'm calling the doc first thing on tuesday. Thanks all!

Best to ya. I did both hands at once, made a big difference in riding enjoyment. I was riding in a lot of hare scrambles and my method was to get off the front brake coming into a corner, sling the right hand a coupla times, then grab the bar to make the turn. It sucked.
On the road bike I would be flipping the throttle lock on within a mile of leaving my place.
I remember asking the doc if I was gonna be able to handle bathroom duties with both hands bandaged up, she assured me there would be no problem.
The part she neglected to reveal was that the meds they give you will lock you up tighter than a tick so for about three days it was a non-issue anyhow.

I recommend it, I'd still do them both at once if I had to do it over again.
I was back to work (cabinetmaker) in 2 weeks, back on the dirt bike in three mos. I did it in the coldest part of winter so as to miss the least riding.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #12
Marylander OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Had the endoscopic procedure done on my right hand this morning. Was diagnosed as severe on right, mild on left. Now facing two weeks of boredom... My kx250 is stripped down to the frame so no chance of being tempted to get out and ride, at least off road, too soon. :) I'm hoping I can ride the street bike soon as that's how I get to work. Hoping not to have to rent a car or take the train to work.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:28 AM   #13
SxyRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Cool... hope the healing goes well for you!

I have a sneaky suspicion this is in my future. I work in IT and the organization is less than helpful when requesting ergonomic equipment. :-/
SxyRdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #14
Marylander OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I've had the issue for a long time and think motorcycles, piano, and genetics have more to do with it for me than my IT job. I had my ergonomics figured out for computers from seeing a doc about RSI issues from piano and those things applied straight to the computer keyboard.

By the middle of the night last night I realized I'm allergic to codeine (already knew I was allergic to oxycodone and hydrocodone). I'm just not meant to enjoy narcotics... :(

BTW, I'm KirkRoy over on dcsb.net. Not hard to recognize Donovan's proud momma. ;)
Old 10-03-2012, 07:39 AM   #15
SxyRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
I've had the issue for a long time and think motorcycles, piano, and genetics have more to do with it for me than my IT job. I had my ergonomics figured out for computers from seeing a doc about RSI issues from piano and those things applied straight to the computer keyboard.

By the middle of the night last night I realized I'm allergic to codeine (already knew I was allergic to oxycodone and hydrocodone). I'm just not meant to enjoy narcotics... :(

BTW, I'm KirkRoy over on dcsb.net. Not hard to recognize Donovan's proud momma. ;)
Ewww... sorry about the allergy! Oh, hey... well, helps that my screen name and sig is pretty constant. :)

Signed up here to check the classifieds when we were shopping for Donovan's bike. Figured might as well make use of the account and post some....
SxyRdr is online now   Reply With Quote