Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #16
georgedaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I am also planning to join from Toronto.
What and where is the actual meeting point for this ride?
georgedaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #17
Moto-Rad OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Hello,

I am trying to get a sense of who is arriving when so I can work the ride logisitcs out. There are some takers and there are a couple of Plan A's and B's happening. I was hoping to go up west branch north of Massey but the logging trucks are running hard, 24/7 so not only is there traffic but the graters are wreaking havoc on the hard pack as well. So I will likely deviate from that leg. Nonetheless still have some good routes planned.

PM me for details.
Moto-Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #18
Moto-Rad OP
Adventurer

Just a quick note to let peeps know that this ride is still happening and got some riders coming in tonight. We will likely do a Friday afternoon local points of interest type of tour. Maybe even a morning hike as I live by a river mouth with a falls and the salmon are running. Get your nature fix.

Saturday will be a full day that I am looking at touring about First Nations backroads and trails. They are largely untapped and Wikwemikong Unceded Reserve, one of the largest in Canada has all kinds of back roads that are rarely traversed outside of community members themselves (my mom is from Wiky so its not a problem, but I have never been back there myself so its all new too me too..Garmin don't fail me now). From there we will head toward Whitefish River First Nation where at the trail head to the rail bed (twin track quad run) we will stop at my GF's for a quick bite of corn soup and bannock then hit the trail past Willisville and traverse to Fox Lake Road (gravel) that will take us towards Sagamok First Nation, chip and tar to Fort laCloche that has a nice beach that is quite shallow if anybody wants to get wet. There was another very doable water crossing on the railbed too, solid bottom, 6 inches deep, nothing to fret about. then meandre our way back with a bit of asphalt, chip and tar and gravel. I have a couple of other gems tucked away that we can hit on the way back too if people don't mind helping me pick up my orca of a GS up if we decide to go that way.

As Pirsig said..try to make good time, with the emphasis on good.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:34 AM   #19
bwokentoof
Pollyanna Man

Oddometer: 312
I will likely be up in a couple of weeks passing through on the way to a yearly moose hunt with my old dad. Maybe we can share a pint and a few lies.
bwokentoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #20
norton
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thanks for a great ride & hospitality

Steve,

Thanks for hosting us and the great hospitality. I had a great time, really enjoyed exploring Wiki! It all left me wanting to explore more roads & views. We barely made the ferry on the way back, as it was busier than expected, however we made it with many cars & trucks left behind us. I'm sure they wished they were on bikes too.
We had a nice ride back south, and got off Hwy 6 as quick as we could. I showed George and Martin a fun little detour from the main highway. We stopped in at the Trials event that was held near Lion's Head this weekend, and we were treated to Jordan Szoke (top trials and superbike guy) doing some magic on his trials machine for us. I hope Martin shares his pics of that.
I look forward to seeing some of the pictures, and I am going to play around with the GPX files to see our route. I'm not very good at that stuff, but will try and will PM you with what i come up with.
Anytime you are heading this way, let me know and I can show you some great roads around here, and you and any fellow riders are more than welcome to stay at my lodge as well. The rocks at my place would love to have those big GS's bounce off them for a change.

thanks again,

Mark
norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #21
Moto-Rad OP
Adventurer

I had a great time this weekend as well. I am totally down on doing the Bruce, do we want to do it this year, I think the ferry only runs for two more weeks as of today.

I am tired of manhandling my GS and I see you seeking out the stuff I avoid on the 690. Think I may go for the EXC. To heck with renos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
Steve,

Thanks for hosting us and the great hospitality. I had a great time, really enjoyed exploring Wiki! It all left me wanting to explore more roads & views. We barely made the ferry on the way back, as it was busier than expected, however we made it with many cars & trucks left behind us. I'm sure they wished they were on bikes too.
We had a nice ride back south, and got off Hwy 6 as quick as we could. I showed George and Martin a fun little detour from the main highway. We stopped in at the Trials event that was held near Lion's Head this weekend, and we were treated to Jordan Szoke (top trials and superbike guy) doing some magic on his trials machine for us. I hope Martin shares his pics of that.
I look forward to seeing some of the pictures, and I am going to play around with the GPX files to see our route. I'm not very good at that stuff, but will try and will PM you with what i come up with.
Anytime you are heading this way, let me know and I can show you some great roads around here, and you and any fellow riders are more than welcome to stay at my lodge as well. The rocks at my place would love to have those big GS's bounce off them for a change.

thanks again,

Mark
Old 10-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #22
motomart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I second that great time. Now for some photos.

Day One

More to come.....
motomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #23
georgedaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Had a great time
Steve,thanks for the hospitality and showing us around hope we do it again next year.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #24
motomart
Adventurer

Day two, part 1

Old 10-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #25
TOTim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Great photos as usual Martin.
TOTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #26
motomart
Adventurer

Day two, part 2

Old 10-03-2012, 06:40 AM   #27
bullion
n00b

Oddometer: 3
great photos of a great ride - I enjoyed every minute of trying to keep up with you guys!!!! - certainly was a challenge!!
thanks
Phil\Espanola
bullion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #28
Moto-Rad OP
Adventurer

I must say I had a great time, the ride and apres fireside chats. It was all good. Excellent photos Martin! The plan is, next year, last weekend in September. I am going to explore the Wikwemikong area more and map it out, I think we just scratched the surface there!

Thanks again, found some new roads and new friends. Looking forward to riding again.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:00 AM   #29
georgedaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullion View Post
great photos of a great ride - I enjoyed every minute of trying to keep up with you guys!!!! - certainly was a challenge!!
thanks
Phil\Espanola

Hey Phil,
It was a nice to meet and ride with you.I didn't realize it was your first time off road with that monster.
You did great, hope to ride with you again next year.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #30
guzzirelic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Hey Phil,
great to see that you've joined the asylum! Welcome to ADV.

Hope I can join Steve's next adventure!

Relic, (aka ken)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullion View Post
thanks
Phil\Espanola
1976 Yamaha DT400C; 1960 Panther M120
1970 Yamaha 100 L5TA Trailmaster
guzzirelic is offline   Reply With Quote