Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
Stinky OP
Team Hematoma

Oddometer: 446
Routing in Advance of a Trip

I give up. I'm running Topo maps in Basecamp and trying to plan a route or track to follow in advance of a trip. Routing ain't gonna fly obviously, so how do you create something to follow in Topo without routing functionality. Searching yields nothing. I get the whole "load existing tracks", but there's got to be a way to plan in advance without doing waypoints every 1/4 of a mile. Or maybe not. It is Garmin after all.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,424
If you are using routable maps you can create a route and then convert to track.

You can also just draw a track.

You won't get directions but you can still follow it. YOu may have to filter to meet the track point limit for your unit for imported tracks; it's not the same as it is for active tracks in the unit.

S
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
Stinky OP
Team Hematoma

I was afraid of that. Topo won't route (at least the version I have). I guess I'll have to try drawing a track.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:41 AM   #4
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Open Street Maps (OSM) is your friend.

When you download maps from OSM and your using Basecamp, you have two options. You can download the executable file, if you want your maps installed on the computer. Or you can download the image zip file, which when unzipped will result in an single 'gmapsupp.img' file that can be placed directly on the units SD card in the 'Garmin' directory.

If the maps are on the computer, the 'gmapsupp.img' file is the map that gets written to the device or the SD card by using MapInstall. Basecamp upon start up will see the maps on the computer and on the gps if the gps is connected to the computer via a usb cable.

Older generation Garmin units like the 60/76 series can only have a single 'gmapsupp.img' file loaded in the 'Garmin' directory on the SD card, you can't rename them. On the new generation units like the 62/78 series you can rename the image files to something more descriptive, like 'MO.img' and load several of them. But you have to keep the *.img file extension.

With OSM maps you do get what you pay for. I've found that they come up short on POI's compared to Garmin's City Navigator map set. I haven't had much luck using them for address searches, but the road detail is good.

This site might help too: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...eet-maps-64135

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
You can usually get away with just putting a point at every intersection or significant change in direction.

It doesn't take long... what software are you using to create the track? I normally use Google Earth.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,803
If you don't want a routable path just draw and then convert it to a track. If you want to make the trip easier then take the few hours and make a point for all the twists and turns as you can, I can say firsthand that it is annoying when you are traveling, come to a fork and the route says straight
Old 10-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
Stinky OP
Team Hematoma

Good stuff guys! Thanks. I ended up just drawing the track in Basecamp on my old topo maps. Slow but it seems to work. And the 500 point track on my 60 csx is a real buzzkill. At some point I will need to upgrade to newer hardware.

OSM looks cool and I will try that out. Not sure how to create tracks in Google Earth and export but that seems to hold some promise too. I seem to recall reading somewhere that you need the Pro version to do that.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
You can usually get away with just putting a point at every intersection or significant change in direction.

It doesn't take long... what software are you using to create the track? I normally use Google Earth.
If you are going to create Routes (Direct and Auto-routing) first, putting Via Points directly on an Intersection is not a good idea in the new Garmin world. When you do this BaseCamp and MapSource create special routing data called shaping points and many of the newer Garmin Handheld GPS's that support routing don't like that data. If you can, you should try putting your Via Points ≥ 50ft past an Intersection so this shaping data is not generated. Any closer than 50ft and the point might snap to the Intersection.

If you are creating Tracks no worries.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote