Old 10-03-2012, 05:30 AM   #16
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,898
Old 10-03-2012, 05:34 AM   #17
DynaSport OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
For those who did not get my "Wake up America" statement, Google Earl Pitts. It was meant to be humorous. Perhaps my humor is a bit obscure.
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:35 AM   #18
DynaSport OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
You shut up. And did my little brother give you permission to use his picture?
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #19
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,715
This is nothing but your sense of entitlement.
I see this all the time with out of towners who ride the BRP. "But this is the Parkway. I came to enjoy it. Everyone has to clear out of my way." No. No we don't.
The wings were probably doing the limit. Those are all public roads. No one is obliged to get out of your way and let you proceed at whatever pace you like.

If you want to ride fast, go do a track day. On public roads this is what you have to contend with and sometimes be subject to, so maybe adjust your worldview a bit.

No one owes you a clear line or a pulloff on a public road.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #20
TT RDHS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post

Most states have laws like this - http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatD...28&DocType=ARS

If you have 5 or more vehicles stacked up behind you... you must pull over, and let them pass.
If you're going too slow, get out of the way.
It's the law!

TT RDHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #21
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT RDHS View Post
Most states have laws like this - http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatD...28&DocType=ARS

If you have 5 or more vehicles stacked up behind you... you must pull over, and let them pass.
It's the law!

Exactly! I know cops give tickets in LA to folks going 75 in the fast lane because they are blocking traffic. The idea of entitlement can go both ways. Courteous is the positive way to treat others. It is how I want to be treated. I quit riding with a popular local group of "rolling road block" riders that told me "they don't care about anyone behind them"; AZZHOLES!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #22
Bluebone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Holy hell man, how much do you think HD's cost?
no kidding! has he checke4d the price on a GS or Tiger lately?
Bluebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #23
TT RDHS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebone View Post
no kidding! has he checke4d the price on a GS or Tiger lately?

Have checked the price of a used KLR lately???
TT RDHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #24
vwone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
I also ride a Buell and couldn't agree more with the original post. Every time I go to that area I run into the same thing.

I normally give them a couple of pull offs and then I start looking for a way around.

Normally that works but last spring on the Skyway I ran across a Triumph Rocket 3 and a newer Goldwing. This was a new on me, they would go through the turns ~ 25 mph and run full throttle down every straight stretch. These are not slow bikes and that was very frustrating. So I passed them and the look on the guy face on the Goldwing was priceless. I didn't want to out run them that way but I didn't want to stay behind that for 40 miles.

I don't get it, I will gladly pull over and do when faster vehicles are coming my way. Why can't they do the same for us? I won't even get started on the cruiser parades.
vwone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #25
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Passing!

Up here in New England, the best riding is often in rural areas. That means farm equipment & trucks, often heavily loaded, chugging along at sub-limit speeds on narrow, 2 lane blacktop. Other traffic, cars, & bikes, alike, pile up behind. (not just Harleys, but frequently, it seems) When the passing sections do come up, the following traffic just tailgates the slowpoke (car,truck, or bike) but won't make the pass. Once six or seven vehicles are piled up nose to tail behind a slow mover, I'm stuck if I am in 7th place. The passing zones are never long enough, given our hills & curves, to make a safe pass of the assembled clump, but the ones ahead in the mess will tailgate & weave but never summon the nerve to pass the offending slowpoke, even when it can be done legally & safely. I suspect that the prevalence of the interstate highways have led the average driver to lose his ability to make a safe, legal pass, on a 2 lane road.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #26
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Was above the tree line in Rocky Mountain National Park last week, and it started to sleet. On my Harley, BTW. And that road doesn't have a lot of guard rails. The traffic really started to slow down, to about 15 mph. It was actually work to keep the heavily loaded Harley balanced at those speeds.

Yes, the little cars causing all the slow down were afraid of the sleet and falling off the side of the road, and slowly drove past several pullouts. And yes, that was rude of them on one level.

But rather than gripe about it, or unfairly pick on one brand of car manufacturer, I just used a pull out myself and let them get ahead. Easy solution. Try it.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #27
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,346
There are people who simply do not have the balls to make their own rules (speed in this case), so they take it upon themselves to hold others back. They live bitter lives, and resist friendly courtesy if it isn't required by law. What is so hard about letting someone make their own choices, and face their own consequences? Seeing someone with more courage than themselves, and facing that reality.

It is easy to be irritated by them, but what they really deserve is our pity.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #28
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 809
You want huge bunches of bikers backed up behind some newbie who's inching along at speeds slow enough to make your head explode? Head to Sturgis.

I was there in the thick of it with my brothers and nephew. We all like to ride fast. After getting frustrated for a half a day in the black hills on awesome roads...poking behind one big group after another (which seemed to be held back by a two-up WInger instead of a Harley) we changed tactics. We just pulled over as a group when we ran up the tailpipes of some slowbie.. We'd take a five minute break, and as soon as a long spell went by with no traffic we'd zip out and have some fun. And normally catch the monster group of slowbies at the next town.

A lot more fun to stop and let the slow guys go ahead than to work your way through a big crowd.

Of course, I passed a lot of people too. I got a speeding ticket in Wyoming to show for it.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #29
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,443
Is it Friday? Are we still doing that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #30
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by opmike View Post
How did you come to the conclusion that this was due to you being on a Harley-Davidson and not just them being assholes or otherwise unconcerned about you? You're not the first person to be stuck being a bunch of guys in their own parade. Also, not everyone is going to let you by just because you're riding at a faster pace, and if they are going the speed limit, they quite frankly have no obligation to do so beyond courtesy.

He didn't come to that conclusion, or even say anything of the sort. He was noting that this is the thing that people complain about Harley riders doing, and he never got it before, but now after experiencing people doing it, he understands why people complain about it.

Yes, not everyone is going to let you by because you're riding at a faster pace, but they SHOULD. Whether they are going the speed limit or not. And if they know you are there and they don't, they are being a$$holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
I see this all the time with out of towners who ride the BRP. "But this is the Parkway. I came to enjoy it. Everyone has to clear out of my way." No. No we don't.
The wings were probably doing the limit. Those are all public roads. No one is obliged to get out of your way and let you proceed at whatever pace you like.

If you want to ride fast, go do a track day. On public roads this is what you have to contend with and sometimes be subject to, so maybe adjust your worldview a bit.

Ah, so you are one of them? Self-righteous, "I'll show them" attitude? Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT RDHS View Post

It's the law!

This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
There are people who simply do not have the balls to make their own rules (speed in this case), so they take it upon themselves to hold others back. They live bitter lives, and resist friendly courtesy if it isn't required by law. What is so hard about letting someone make their own choices, and face their own consequences? Seeing someone with more courage than themselves, and facing that reality.

It is easy to be irritated by them, but what they really deserve is our pity.
QFT.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (228,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote