User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
GeoAggie OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Crashed My K1600GT

Well, I suffered my first motorcycle accident Sunday afternoon after nearly 20 years of riding with essentially no close calls. I was riding through some very curvy sections of hwy 82 north of Spavinaw (ne OK) when I came to a slight uphill section and three slow moving vehicles. I glanced at the surroundings and figured I could sneak by quickly. I passed the first car instantly but the second vehicle, an older pick-up truck, cut me off and rolled down his window to yell something. He pulled back over but I was focused on him and looked up to see a truck in front turning left. It was too late and I cut left and collided with his front end. I remember parts flying and and hitting the ground on my left shoulder and the side of my head. I rolled at least once and remember trying to push the bike away from me as we slid. Fortunately, the big GT ended up to my left and side and never contacted me during the tumble. Gear - Shoe Neotech helmet, long sleeve shirt with KTM riding skins jacket, Kevlar jeans with Aerostitch Darien over pants, Sidi boots and summer gloves. No road rash whatsoever - I did suffer bruises over much of my body. I rolled over on my knees to collect my thoughts and immediately pictured my wonderful family - wife, 8 year old daughter and 6 year old son - wondering WTF am I doing. I stood up and walked around to shake things off (old football term ;-) but felt pain in my right hip. The driver of the pick-up truck was yelling something at me but I waved him off and asked to be left alone since I was hurt. I took my helmet off and was relieved to see no major damage but my vision in my left eye was hazy off to the side.

The ambulance arrived quickly and we took off for a 11/4 hour incredibly long trip back to Tulsa. My vision returned to normal quickly during the trip. We spoke with my wife by cell to assure her it was ok and the tests at the ER were negative (CT scans for neck, head and x-rays for hip). My neck muscles are sore but it could be from being uncomfortably tied to the board for so long. I haven't been able to move my hip much and the latest x-rays show possible fracture. A bone scan is scheduled for tomorrow. My vision is fine and no headaches. The hip is feeling a little better and I'm hopeful it's only soft tissue damage. I have been running a low grade fever but its probably the trauma.

We found the bike and its being shipped back to Tulsa BMW for inspection. I kind of hope the GT is totaled and I get to start over with a new bike. I have other bikes to look at while recovering. My one lingering thought is why - why did I put myself in that situation with an aggressive pass. I'm generally a cautious rider who takes safety very seriously. Obviously, I also question why I'm riding right now with two little kiddos. It made me so sad to think of their life without Dad. But, it is part of who I am and it speaks to me to ride and focus on being in the moment. I thought I would share the story with those who could take something positive away . . .

Jeff
GeoAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,220
Dang. Glad you are ok.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,948
Glad you're ok! We all make mistakes. Thanks for passing this info on. Sorry about the GT. It's one nice bike. It's amazing how fast you can run out of real estate on the whisper jet. Get well Soon!
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
TT RDHS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
dang. Glad you are ok.
+1!
TT RDHS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,021
Sounds very scary. Glad you came out with nothing broken! Live and learn.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
Good luck on your recovery.

Sounds like the pickup truck driver in the middle was trying to do you a favor by warning you the lead vehicle was turning.

I test rode a K1600gt. Great bike, not for me, because I knew I'd ride it too fast.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
Woland
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Shit happens, be glad it wasn't worse and learn from it.

One such lesson ought to be don't pass unless you KNOW its safe to do so.
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,034
we have a lot in common. My name is also Jeff. And I totaled my beloved ST1300 on June 1, 2011 - a date that shall forever live in infamy, at least for me.

Don't be too hard on yourself. You were smart to wear the gear, but as you can see, it will not prevent bruises or broken bones. You made one bad decision in the heat of the moment. I did too, we all do sometimes. It's just that most of the time we get away with it.

It will probably be a life changing event for you. You start to realize what is important, and what isn't. You start to see the potential cost of your decisions.

Get back on a bike, asap. I didn't replace the ST for almost a year, but as soon as I was physically able, I rented a bike just to make myself get back in the saddle. These days I am riding a Kawasaki Nomad, and loving life in the slow lane.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,331
Glad you're going to be alright, it's definitely a rude awakening. Thanks for posting as well, we all need reminded occasionally, I know I do anyway.

Had my first get off in a long time last month, just my complacency, and lack of attention. Fortunately it was slow speed, and the only things bruised were my crash bars, and ribs. A cheap lesson for me no doubt.

Hope you're able to get back to riding again soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
NateLePain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,656
Sure glad you're ok and hope you find yourself back on two wheels soon.

nlp

10 Triumph St. Triple, '06 BMW F650GSA, '03 Honda XR70R, '03 Honda XR80R, '86 Honda TLR200 Reflex
NateLePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
uraberg
whosaberg?

Oddometer: 686
I've been in a similar situation, and I learned one thing really quick.

When traffic is moving slow, there usually is a reason for it. Hang back, relax, and pass when you've positively determined that you can.

It sounds pedantic, and it is actually more to remind me, than to convince you.

Glad you made it out in one piece.
uraberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #12
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,411
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Jeff, i'm so sorry to hear of your mishap, it feels like yesterday that we spoke regarding the purchase of the GS. The recap of your story was a heartfelt one, and i can very much relate in regards to the wife and kids. I'm up in the canyons every weekend, and going on a longer ride this Saturday, and like you, sometimes wonder what the hell i'm doing what i do. Life.

Feel better ol' friend......
Old 10-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #13
GeoAggie OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Thanks for all of the positive comments. Most of what I'm hearing from the office s negativity. I will post some pictures of the bike sent from the dealership. It appears the right side of the engine case was crushed on impact. Also, all of the damage is on the right side confirming my impression that the violent impact sent the bike and I hurling sideways where the bike stayed to my front left sliding down the grass.

The guy in the pick-up was likely warning me and if I would have just played it cool and set back no doubt it wouldn't have been as painful. However, he also distracted me and slowed me enough to catch the next truck's front end.

I have a bone scan tomorrow morning so I'm hoping there is no fracture in hip. Anyone healed on here from such an injury? Everything on the Internet is oriented towards 70+ year olds and at 49 I'm hopeful for a little quicker healing potential! I'm usually a guy who recovers quickly even though the worst I've had is a broken rib.

MrBreeze - I appreciate the encouragement and kind words. I'm kinda glad I wasn't on my beloved ST1300 as I wasn't convinced I was going to sell it after purchasing the GT. I just want a sport tourer thats cooler to ride in the summer. The ST is still my all time favorite as it does everything without fuss or drama and I have reduced the heat felt while riding.
GeoAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #14
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 212
re: the decision to pass ... those decisions happen quickly. I've asked myself the same question even when a decision didn't result in a close call (what COULD have happened?). You can't always do everything perfect when riding these things, there's unavoidable risk. The bad result is nevertheless more experience to have in the bag, and it'll make you a better rider.

Hope you have the quickest recovery.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,559
That sucks. Glad you're ok.

No broken bones and no road rash good gears pays off in the long run. I'm sure you'll get back on the road again soon.
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote