Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #76
Dr. Beard
Cenosillicaphobiac

Oddometer: 906

So. Day... whatever. I woke up early to watch the sun rise and then PTFO again for another hour. We had been up late finishing off all the whiskey & trading lies in an amazing setting and I'm not a young pup like HBN anymore.

The ride out of the cove on the steep dirt was amazing in the morning. I do love getting up on the pegs right out of the tent n the AM... The last part of the Cabot Trail was as stunning as the rest and a great way to finish off the morning.

Then a great Atlantic beach stop for a snack/piss.

Then I got this nice shot of HBN while we waited for the ferry on the aforementioned weird peninsula. He was listen to a local woman warn us about moose and the like.

After that we parted ways at a random intersection as I left to followed the coast of Bras d'Or Lake on Hwy223. The first hour was much weirder than I expected. I usually ride solo on long trips, so having just had a compadre for a week on the road made riding solo feel a bit odd. Every once on a while you'd check your mirror & see nothing there and then remember that you were on your own again. After one of these particular moments about 30min later, I shook my head hard to remind myself to stay more alert now that I was solo as I was downshifting for a 90deg right hander onto a bridge. As I came around it onto a one-lane wooden bridge I faltered at the sight of 5 or 6 bikini clad young ladies jumping off into the lake. I motored by in my best cool-guy pose and nodded at the motorcycling Gods to acknowledge their sign: Everything was going to be just fine.

My plan at this point had been to head back down to Digby, camp for the night, and then take the ferry over in the morning. However, as soon as I had my Shinko's pointed South-ish the desire to just ride it out overtook me. So I made for the border to the North: I'd try to hit the border at Houlton MA before sundown. I'd better get low & fast...

A few pics on the way there as I raced the sunset & fought a killer crosswind on CA2.

Somewhere close to sunset the sky started to look a bit ugly up ahead. I had no rain gear on & was low on fuel: Next exit 20 clicks. Bugger. *&%$ it, let's see if we make it. It didn't look good:

I made it to the exit just as it started to sprinkle and got under the gas station awning just as all hell broke loose; hail, lightning hitting poles in the parking lot, the usual Hell from a badass thunderstorm. I made a run for the Get n' Go to pay and actually got a round of applause from everyone waiting in line.

After that, I pushed like hell into the coming dusk to get to the border. The wait at the border was a normal 20-30min, but I was anxious. After some eyebrow raising about what exactly I'd been up to in Canada to show up looked this crazy, they let me through. Before I rode off I asked about a decent hotel in town. The border guard laughed and said “We have 2 of 'em. They ain't decent, but your next option is another 3hrs.”

Another 20min & I finished a 12hr day in the saddle. After blasting around town (how much fun is a DS bike completely empty around town after a FULL day in the highway?? ) to get supplies, I crashed out with a beer & some vittles and tried to plan where I would camp the next day on the route back to DC. Or would I throw caution to the wind, try to break my distance record, & make it in one shot?
1974 XL250 Street Tracker
2002 R1150GS White Whale
Dr. Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #77
Dr. Beard
Cenosillicaphobiac

I wake up refreshed and ready for the road. Side note: I'm one of those people who, when pointed home at the end of trip, just want to get there. I'd done the math & thought it was just too damned far.

What do you think?

So basically I rode rt95 south for something approaching a decade. Just 180mi or so btw fill ups and a granola bar. Somewhere along the way I figured out how to eat those little packets of cheesie cracker while riding down the highway. Just when I thought all was going well, I hit NYC. At 4:45pm. On Friday. Jesus, that took a while...

Saw this along the way, but didn't take many other pics on the endless highway...

Then traffic hell in NJ. (I've repeatedly sworn to never travel through this hateful state... Nothing good happens on these hateful highways...)

Long story short, I rolled back into my driveway sometime well after dark and as tired as I can ever remember being. And the personal record I set of 14.5hrs in the saddle & something around 820mi is one that I don't mind not breaking for a while...

PS: I will now spend the rest of this RR hating HBN for getting more time off work than I could... Bastard...
2002 R1150GS White Whale
Old 10-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #78
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 26,801
We hate 95... And avoid NYC with a passion...
And take the upper route .. When we can...

I like sunflower seeds while traveling .. Easy to eat and grab a handful and put all in the cheek pouch of your mouth.. the air flow carries the shells away from the bike... Plus the burst of protein is nice boost....

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #79
Mangle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Wow, that last day looks like hell. I usually try to avoid the I-95 run unless I really have no choice.

I loved your ride report and loved the photos.

I usually try to avoid leaving the United States, but maybe I should take another trip up north!
Mangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #80
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,925
Thanks Beard. I have so much more to write and many more photos to post now

Beer and Trivia calls tonight but I may get in an update or two late-night.

Stay tuned
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #81
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 26,801
HBN ... You have a look on your face ...
Like please take the F^#&ing phot this crap is getting heavy ...

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #82
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post

Stay tuned
Keep em coming, looks like a great time (except that last day. 800 miles? no thanks
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #83
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,970
damn all the way to NS to audition for Capital One credit card commercial?

Quote:
Old 10-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #84
HBN OP
is car free

That would probably make more sense to a viking than me I'll crawl back under my rock now
Old 10-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #85
HBN OP
is car free

Day 8: Port Aux Basques to Port Saunders

I woke at 5:15 and quickly packed up my gear and tent. I didn't want the owners of the shop or some passing police cruiser to give me any hassle. My first stop was the Tim Hortons on the highway for a good cup of coffee and some wifi.

After demolishing my breakfast and seeing the first light on the eastern horizon, I decided it was finally time to go explore Newfoundland

Riding north from Port Aux Basques, the Gulf of St. Lawrence is on my left and the Table Mountains on my right. These twin peaks really stood out but with the low light my picture came out a bit weak.

The highway was desolate and I passed a car every 5 minutes or so. The overnight rain had left a heavy fog which slowly burned off where the sunlight could penetrate. The highway wound gently along the floor of the Codroy Valley offering beautiful vistas on my right and left.

I stopped to smell some flowers and have a snack.

I also wandered through a gate in the moose fence. I think this sign has been here a while.

Speaking of which...this was advertised as the "Largest Moose in Newfoundland". The rock scat underneath was a nice touch!

I hit a big rainstorm which was heavy but predictably short. After riding out the other side of it, I cruised through the twisty valleys outside Corner Brook with ski resorts on the hillside and a wide long open highway along the lake for miles.

After Deer Lake, I turned onto...

This carried me down to Gros Morne National Park.

I stopped for a map at the information booth and chatted with the prettiest booth girl I've ever seen. She may have even been on par with Beard's customs agent She suggested I ride down toward the tablelands and Bonne Bay.

This is the view of Bonne Bay looking east.

The town of Bonne Bay is very colorful, no doubt to add some color to their long and dreary winters. The Old Loft Restaurant, I found out later from some other travellers, serves a delicious moose pie.

The Bonne Bay Light stands in slight disrepair overlooking the bay.

After making two short loops through town, I worked my way up toward the tablelands. The terrain here looks like a desert on account of the Peridodite thought to originate at the earth's mantle and driven up by a plate collision millions of years ago.

This area was absolutely spectacular. The waterfalls cascading off the tablelands and down into the valley reminded me of Norway or Iceland.

It's ME on Trout River Pond. The view here is just extraordinary in person!

This fisherman looked like he was enjoying the day.

I was getting hungry so decided the village of Trout River on this desolate coast would be a great spot for some seafood.

I stopped in and inquired about the Salt Cod. I only wanted a lb or so and she wouldn't split the whole cod. Makes perfectly good sense and I didn't need 4 or 5 lbs of cod stinking up my tank bag

I stopped at the only restaurant on Main St. Went in and noticed that a fish sandwich was $12. Oh Hell No!

From here I rode up the hill where I came across a small take-out restaurant likely frequented by the locals. This is more my pace.

Cod Sandwich

This goat had slipped free from the electric wires. Nobody seemed to care - the goat, the restaurant owner or myself. He wasn't going very far anyway.

I downed the burger, left a tip and set back across the tablelands toward Bonne Bay. Along the way I noticed this stream resotration in progress. It sure is a little different than we do it in the states

I worked my way along the East Arm and stopped for a photo oportunity of Gros Morne's Peak and the surrounding scenery.

After taking a family's portrait down by the water, I made my way over to Rocky Harbor, the tourist town for Gros Morne with many hotels, restaurants and shops.

This is the view at the end of the road looking south along the rugged coastline.

The Lobster Cove Head Light. I regret not getting off the bike and walking around to take a better shot looking back on Gros Morne and Rocky Harbour but the place was mobbed with tourists and I didn't feel like taking my gear off again.

This is my only shot of the famous Western Brook Pond. This spectacular fjord was formed by retreating glaciers and exhibits 2000 ft sheer walls and igneous rock. The Long Range Mountains pictured here and throughout this day are the northernmost remnant of the Appalachian Mountains I call home.

I saw a sign for "Cow Head". Now that sounds interesting so I worked my way over to Summer Cow Head and went for a hike to the old lighthouse.

My bike is down there behind my finger.

The trail was spectacularly lush. I don't think I even edited this photo:

View from up top!

How's that for some contrast?

I should note that the trees here were stunted. So much so that they were as tall as I was!

The wood piles are growing longer and longer as I travel farther north.

Newfie Flag!

I continue north along the coast enjoying the smell of the saltwater and looking for any oddities along the way.

Say? What is that in the center of the photo?

Someone had a bad day! Story HERE

All sorts of bits and pieces of the Atlantic Endeavour were littered about the beach.

I continued along The Viking Trail till I saw a sign for The Arches.

It gets very windy here along the Straight of St. Lawrence as I will find out first hand later in the trip.

Evidence:

When I saw my name on the map I had to make a detour

I saw this outside Port Saunders. They must be desperate!?

The small town didn't have much to offer but I continued down to Port Aux Choix for a stroll along the Phillips Garden Trail.

I returned to Port Saunders for some water, a bottle of whisky, a danish ice beer and some chocolate then returned to this small jut of land behind an abandoned motel and beside an ATV track between the two small towns. This should do for a camping spot tonight.

Port Saunders is seen off in the distance:

I don't know what happened to all the trees here. It didn't look like fire but it could have just been from a hard freeze or extreme winds?

A father and daughter on a quad rolled past and didn't notice me. An hour later as the sun was setting, they came back the other direction and immediately saw me. I waved and they waved back - both not sure about me. I bet it'd take a while for some police to show up anyway and I wasn't hasslin' nobody.

I made a small fire with the driftwood about in an established fire ring beside a rotten outhouse.

The sun sank low and disappeared from sight while I sipped my whisky and enjoyed a full pipe. This was a solid day of riding and some amazing scenery like none I have ever seen before. I rested soundly and enjoyed the sound of the waves hitting the shore throughout the night.

HBN screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 07:34 PM
Old 10-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #86
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,170
Quote:

Stay tuned
Who'd a thunk it. Vikings work pink 'stich.

Quote:
When I saw my name on the map I had to make a detour

What? Your last name is Peninsula?

Great RR HBN! Screw the beer and trivia - keep it coming!

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #87
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,970
some very nice pics gents, mike what are you using for the HDR (at least I think its HDR?)
Old 10-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #88
HBN OP
is car free

Thanks! Don't worry, Beard met me there for a minute as well. Onward to the RR!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #89
Dr. Beard
Cenosillicaphobiac

I'm tempted to keep making posts everyday, even thought I'm home and bored at work at in this point in the narrative.
2002 R1150GS White Whale
Old 10-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #90
HBN OP
is car free

Day 9: Port Saunders to Big Brook

I was up around 6 with the sun and quickly packed everything, thought about making a cup of coffee but decided to get moving. My hands were wet with dew from rolling the tent which made them a bit chilly inside my gloves for the first hour.

The scattered showers overnight left the humidity very high but temps in the upper 40's. It was a bit cool but smelled like fresh pine.

Just before hitting St. Barbe, a calf and a cow ran across the road in front of me. I scrambled to take out my camera while downshifting and steering away. This is the only photo that almost came off before they ran into the woods.

(See on right)

Reminder to stay alert. This is the reason I haven't been riding at night!

Aw I guess I'll stop in St. Barbe to check out the ferry schedule to Labrador and get a big breakfast. I checked out the schedule for tomorrow then walked next door to the motel restaurant for a cup of coffee and some eggs.

This mural was painted on the walls inside. I was the only diner.

Man this was SOOOOO good.

I charged some batteries while I ate, paid the bill and saddled up for the ride to the tip. My destination this morning was L'Anse Aux Meadows at the northern tip of Newfoundland. In two days I would have gone from the Northern tip of Nova Scotia to that of Newfoundland. That's fun.

Just before some long stretches of straight highway across the Taiga, I had a GSA tail. He followed me all the way to L'Anse Aux Meadows.

The first thing you see when parking is this sculpture high on the hill overlooking the visitor center.

UNESCO World Heritage Site as evidenced by the UN flag.

I attended the informational film in the dark movie theater. After spending a week on the bike, sitting in a dark theater and watching something on a screen felt incredibly foreign. I don't watch much TV at home anyway but it felt quite novel to go from riding and camping all the time to watching a film. I enjoyed it.

The artifacts found at the site are on display behind glass throughout the visitor center. This was one of the cloak pins discovered. It is 1000 years old!

This butternut was also found preserved beneath the peat soil.

Walking the path down to the recreated settlement, a small cold creek flows through the low vegetation.

The remnants of an old workshop.

The recreated structure was a fraction of the size of the largest multi-room structure from 1000 years ago. It was still quite large and the construction impressive. I'd love to build a sod house one day.

Reinactors inside were chock full of information regarding Norse life and the settlement.

I had to take advantage of the opportunity to try on some berserking gear.

This replica dingy displayed the original methods of construction using wool, tar and various other naturally available materials.

A view looking back.

I chatted with some French Canadian adventurers from Quebec currently serving in the Army in New Brunswick. One was riding a 990 and the other a KLR. They suggested I check out Burnt Cape and some ghost town that direction. I was very vague on the destinations but figured I had a whole day to explore and find a place to camp.

The Dark Tickle is a nationally recognized jam, tea and herbal shop available throughout the province. I thought the name was a bit bizarre and sexual until I learned what a "Tickle" was.

The definitive answer comes from the Newfoundland English Dictionary. The word Tickle was first recorded in 1770.
"A narrow salt-water strait, as in an entrance to a harbour or between islands or other land masses, often difficult or treacherous to navigate because of narrowness, tides, etc; a 'settlement' adjoining such a passage;"

From here I rode over to Cape Onion as far as I could get without falling into the water.

The cliff is very steep

After taking a break and trying to push the bike backward uphill on moss, berries and spongy ground, I set off for Burnt Cape Ecological Preserve on the suggestion from the French Canadians. On the way back toward Burnt Cape I came across a couple walking in the road that suddenly stopped. I look around trying to figure out why they quit walking and notice a figure 100 meters down the roadway. It is the biggest male moose I have ever seen standing broadside to the roadway. He stood there for the better part of a minute while I chatted with the locals about this being the best traffic jam ever. Eventually he lumbered off into the bush and I carried on down the road.

Burnt Cape is a large area of exposed limestone with a naturally harsh climate that permits the growth of rare dwarf flora often found in arctic and alpine areas.

The road here was awesome hardpack limestone or just barren boulders curving along for a mile or two uphill. It was fun, a couple puddles, not very technical but fast and open with water on all sides.

These carins must have been 6 feet tall

Can you find the GS?

After munching down a chocolate bar, I turned around and set out for Cape Norman ligthhouse outside Cook's Harbor. The limestone towers further down the coast were interesting and home to many saltwater creatures.

This is the only photo I have of the tall stacks of drying wood I have seen throughout the trip. The farther north I travel, the shorter these stacks become.

The road to Ship Harbor is wide fast dirt and I make it to the dead end quickly, wave at some locals and head back toward Cook's Harbor. On my right are large open expanses of limestone, sand and low growing vegetation covered with vehicle tracks in all directions. It looks like a bloke on a dirtbike could have hours of fun out here.

I notice a dashed (gravel) road on my map leading to a dead end about 15 or 20k west. This must be that ghost town place the dudes told me about.

Sleds like this are all over the place along the roadside for hauling cut firewood.

While taking the above photo I hear a motorcycle, look up, and my two friends are turning right where I am. Hey dudes let's ride some dirt!

I took off in front and very quickly left them far far behind. Travelling at 60-70mph on good gravel is comfortable for me depending on conditions and I was having a blast. I'd stop and wait for them every few kilometers and snap a few moving shots as they approached. One time when I stopped, I heard motors coming down the road in front of me. A few folks two up on ATV's approached and stopped. The bearded and tough old man looked me over "You're not from here are you? Are you lost?" "I'm working on it!" I replied just as my newfound friends came roaring down the road and stopped in a cloud of dust. We chatted about the town up ahead and found that the bridge was out and the road past there is in terrible shape. Thanks!

Just before the ghost town we came across a very old shipwreck rusting away in the salt air.

WE MATCH!

After riding around here we take the ATV path through a few big puddles on back to the main road. It shortly ends at a washed out bridge support.

I bet we can get across that! I will check...

Knee deep and slick rocks. This is a no-go.

The moose don't seem to mind.

The view of Big Brook from the vantage of an old dory weathering away.

My friends decided to return back to their campsite in St. Barbe while I chose to scope out this town and stay here for the night.

Much of the belongings and items were still around the town and the small buildings dotting the open landscape.

This was the view inside the old schoolhouse

An old swingset sits idle, the children long gone.

I stank, therefore I bathe.

After bathing, I set up my tent in the foundation basement of an old home that had been removed. I hoped this would keep the strong winds down around the tent. Just as I was pulling out my sleeping bag, I heard an ATV approach. I stood up above the wall and waved as they road past. They pointed and drove straight down the grassy hill to where I was setting up camp. I talked to the weathered and somewhat suspicious gentleman whose wife kept her full face helmet on the entire conversation. He remembered when the town was still there not long ago, he had many friends who lived here, who moved on and knew people who had lived here until their death or they were moved out by the government. The foundation I was camped in was his friend's old house. It was transported down the road to Cook's Harbor years ago. He motioned toward a well kept shack near the road and said he knew the guy who owned it and visited rarely. I was welcome to set up my tent in the soft grass and use his fire ring and firewood. "Nobody would sleep in a basement!" he said as he keyed the starter and roared up the hill to meet his waiting friends.

My view:

Dude where's my roof!?

The reflection of the sunlight in these old windows and the warmth of the sun/salt beaten shack demanded a photo. I just wish I could have captured it better.

Unfortunate Cove

After the sun set, I made a small fire and burned all the semi-charred wood scattered about. Others had camped here before as evidenced by the makeshift fire rings on nearly everyside of a large clump of trees. Clearly this windbreak was used in various seasons as the wind shifted and more fire pits were needed.

I smoked a pipe and looked up at the stars. The surf crashed 20 feet away, the wind howled and I couldn't have been happier. I sipped some whisky then doused the fire and fell deeply asleep.

HBN screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 07:38 PM