ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 231 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #5386
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
anyone have any ideas on this?
Do you have a uSD card installed with data on it?

Have you tried connecting the Montana without the uSD card installed?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #5387
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Even if you don't see extensions on your files, they are not 'turned off'. The only thing you can turn off is the visibility of the extension for 'known file types'.
This is what I meant.

Without an extension, the computer does not know what to do with all those 1' and 0's.

Perhaps I should not be so quick in the future to assume that users poking around their Montana directories already understand how how computer file systems work.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #5388
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,774
Quote:
Try a master reset

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #5389
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Do you have a uSD card installed with data on it?

Have you tried connecting the Montana without the uSD card installed?
No cards?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #5390
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
Try a master reset
that's what I ended up doing, but I don't want to have to do that all the time!
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #5391
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,259
Quote:
On the gps, go to Setup/System/Interface and see what's there.

If it's "Garmin Serial" choose "Garmin Spanner" and try again. When it boots, choose "Mass storage mode". See if that works.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #5392
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,711
not to beat this topic to death....but the "NAME" does not include the .jpg that's the extension. Since the Montana requires a specific name to the file so it knows what to do with it its not unreasonable for someone to think they must copy verbatim what was presented. The extension is automatically added to the file when you "save as".

As video editor I spend a lot of time dealing with how files are named and how different software interprets them. It was not my intention to offend the author, only to point out that the laymen may not understand the extension verses the name of a file....
Old 10-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #5393
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
not to beat this topic to death....but the "NAME" does not include the .jpg that's the extension. Since the Montana requires a specific name to the file so it knows what to do with it its not unreasonable for someone to think they must copy verbatim what was presented. The extension is automatically added to the file when you "save as".

As video editor I spend a lot of time dealing with how files are named and how different software interprets them. It was not my intention to offend the author, only to point out that the laymen may not understand the extension verses the name of a file....
I have amended the text. Let me know what you think :)
Old 10-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #5394
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,945
Quote:
I think if you put " " on both sides of the name, it saves it with the name you really give it, and does not add the extension Microsoft thinks it should have. "image.jpg" It might balk with something about changing the extension might make the file unstable, but it saves it with the name you gave it.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #5395
scotty69
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
I am going to test my new Garmin tomorrow. I sure the thing stays on! What do yall think? Should I just put the sponge/sound guards now, or wait to see if the problem of shutting off from vibration appears on this unit?
Scotty
Old 10-03-2012, 03:49 AM   #5396
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty69 View Post
I am going to test my new Garmin tomorrow. I sure the thing stays on! What do yall think? Should I just put the sponge/sound guards now, or wait to see if the problem of shutting off from vibration appears on this unit?
Might as well put the earplugs in now. The problem's going to happen sooner or later so why wait?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #5397
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,711
Quote:
I think that's a bit better....
Old 10-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #5398
DrtSqtr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
can someone confirm for me

Hello all, Ive been trying to get my montana 600 set up and working the way id like it to for the past few weeks. Im running cn2013 on a sd card and id like to know the zoom level where you get all the street names.. I have tried all different combos of detail and levels to get what id like but no go so far.

for an example at 0.3 mile zoom the only name that comes up is the interstate im traveling on. Even when i pass over highways there is no name. frustrating for me when traveling in unfamiliar places i dont know the roads coming up or around me. even zooming in its a 50% change the name pops up. Im not to concerned on all the little side street names but id sure like the major highway names to pop up. Going exploring is always fun but to some degree id like to know the names of places im traveling on. Id have to say about 70% of the street names or displayed the other 30% is just blank. Just want to compare mine to others to figure out if its a software problem or i need to send my unit back to garmin.
DrtSqtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #5399
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtSqtr View Post
Hello all, Ive been trying to get my montana 600 set up and working the way id like it to for the past few weeks. Im running cn2013 on a sd card and id like to know the zoom level where you get all the street names.. I have tried all different combos of detail and levels to get what id like but no go so far.

for an example at 0.3 mile zoom the only name that comes up is the interstate im traveling on. Even when i pass over highways there is no name. frustrating for me when traveling in unfamiliar places i dont know the roads coming up or around me. even zooming in its a 50% change the name pops up. Im not to concerned on all the little side street names but id sure like the major highway names to pop up. Going exploring is always fun but to some degree id like to know the names of places im traveling on. Id have to say about 70% of the street names or displayed the other 30% is just blank. Just want to compare mine to others to figure out if its a software problem or i need to send my unit back to garmin.
You are not alone. I am having the same exact issue with my Montana 650 and CN NA NT 2013.20
Old 10-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #5400
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Apologies if this has been answered already; I searched and didn't find any reference.

By default my Montana is saving tracks to internal memory; is there any way that I can direct it to save tracks to the SD card instead?
I am fairly certain you can save them to internal memory by default, import them to your PC via basecamp, then reload them to your SD card. Then delete them off your internal memory. I will have to double check but I just purchased the 650 and am still discovering what gets saved to internal memory by default.
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote