User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
4Rider OP
Dedicated Lurker

Oddometer: 164
Boise to Chico CA to So Cal- Route Suggestions Please

I'm doing a Fly & Ride from Boise Idaho to San Diego via Chico (Nor Cal north of Sacramento) and am looking for route suggestions, particularly between Boise and Chico. This will be a solo trip on a new-to-me bike, so I'm leaning towards sticking to normally used roads. The trip will be next week (October 10th 2012), and the weather is looking to be nice. I have no special itinerary other than stopping in Chico to visit my son along the way.

I have been thinking of heading north to Nampa and west into Oregon, then south towards Susanville along the way, but am definitely open to suggestions. Must-stop restaurants along the way, and friendly motel/hotel ideas would be great.

I think I have traveled most every road between Chico and San Diego, but perhaps someone knows some hidden gem that I don't.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Mark
Old 10-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Chico to San Diego

From Chico: 99 south to 70 east to 89 south to 395 south to 58 east to 247 south to 62 west to I10 east to 86 south to 78 west to Julian onto 79/51 south to I8 west.
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
4Rider OP
Dedicated Lurker

Thanks Ken!

Thanks Ken!

You don't happen to have any ideas for Boise to Chico, do you. Seems like the only choices are the Black Rock Desert, Winnemucca to Reno and over 80 to Chico, or across the eastern Oregon desert to 395 south to Susanville and across the hill to Chico.

Maybe that is all there is?

Mark
Old 10-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
Tripletreat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Boise to Chico

I've ridden from Boise to Chico and points south a few times and I definitely have some opinions. I absolutely hate the ride down through Jordan Valley to Winnamucca, Nevada. It's cannon-shot straight for hours, and it's too tempting to run through there at high speed. Last time I did that I was cited It seems so unfair to be motoring along at 55mph when there are no crossroads and you can see for miles in all directions! No, I've had enough of that. Now I go west into Oregon, thru Vale and Burns on highway 20, then south on 395. This can also be very straight and somewhat boring in places, but it cannot compare to the mind-numbing road to Winnamucca! I particularly enjoy riding along the east side of Goose Lake on 395. Nice pavement there, but early on the northern end of this road there are some washboard areas, at least they seem so on my old suspension. Another plus for this route is the fact that I've never had any encounters with the authorities. Your experience may be different, of course.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
4Rider OP
Dedicated Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletreat View Post
I've ridden from Boise to Chico and points south a few times and I definitely have some opinions. I absolutely hate the ride down through Jordan Valley to Winnamucca, Nevada. It's cannon-shot straight for hours, and it's too tempting to run through there at high speed. Last time I did that I was cited It seems so unfair to be motoring along at 55mph when there are no crossroads and you can see for miles in all directions! No, I've had enough of that. Now I go west into Oregon, thru Vale and Burns on highway 20, then south on 395. This can also be very straight and somewhat boring in places, but it cannot compare to the mind-numbing road to Winnamucca! I particularly enjoy riding along the east side of Goose Lake on 395. Nice pavement there, but early on the northern end of this road there are some washboard areas, at least they seem so on my old suspension. Another plus for this route is the fact that I've never had any encounters with the authorities. Your experience may be different, of course.
Thanks Tripletreat. That is the route that I've pretty much settled on taking.

Mark