Old 10-02-2012, 03:51 AM   #16
canoli OP
human

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Strom View Post
Hi Canoli,
Glad to see that you ended up ok.

I know what you mean by the remote location, I had an off last week 20k's west of Hermannsburg on what I consider a very busy outback road. Lucky a few very helpful people stopped, including 1 with a sat phone, and 8 hours later I was in Alice Springs hospital having my broken collar bone seen too. (Excellent staff)

So before I come your way again I will be looking at some better options for comms.

Stay well and have fun, Glen

WOW you were really out there and glad to hear that you made it back to town safely. Hermannsburg is truly in the middle of fregin nowhere. Not that Alice is a bustling metropolis ...in fact it gave me pause while laying in the hospital bed hearing the staff talk about the closest MRI machine ....1500 km's away. Getting myself some extra gear and going to take it extra easy on the trails.

Stay safe.

Canoli
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:43 AM   #17
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoli View Post
I looked everywhere for a place to turn around but with thick brush, sharp rocks and steep inclines surrounding me, I had no choice but to keep moving forward.
I'm glad you're fine, and are taking the event with good humor.

I'd like to politely challenge you on your assertion that you had no choice but to keep moving forward. You most certainly did have other choices. You can back the bike out. It's not always fun or easy, but doable. And even on really hairy cliff ridges, there are ways to drag a bike around to face the other way.

If you are riding and suddenly find yourself jammed up like you did, you were over riding the situation. There are times to slow down, and it seems like you were in one of those situations. Rough unknown terrain that is really too much for you and your bike is no time to seeing how fast you can comfortably go.

And lest I sound arrogant, I've btdt any number of times myself.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #18
canoli OP
human

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
I'm glad you're fine, and are taking the event with good humor.

I'd like to politely challenge you on your assertion that you had no choice but to keep moving forward. You most certainly did have other choices. You can back the bike out. It's not always fun or easy, but doable..
You're right.. I could have also stopped, disassembled the bike and put it together facing the other way

But yeah I get your point. Pushing an overloaded dual sport bike backwards up hills and through twisty single track for 4 miles would have sucked. But it prob would have been less painful.

Canoli
Old 10-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #19
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,548
Got to love arm chair quarterbacking...

Glad it all turned out ok. We all learn from our mistakes, even if they don't seem like mistakes at the time. Ride on and be happy you're blessed with an understanding wife.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #20
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
Thanks for sharing!

How about a 2 meter HAM radio for communication? License is easy to get, and the range can be hundreds of miles....might come in handy?

cheers,
Steve
Old 10-05-2012, 01:59 AM   #21
canoli OP
human

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
Thanks for sharing!

How about a 2 meter HAM radio for communication? License is easy to get...
Was told that here in Aus it requires training, a test and a couple of hundred bucks. However I did borrow a SAT phone for the weekend (it's Columbus Day Weekend why not go exploring) so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again to everyone for the good wishes.

Canoli