ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #16201
MikeD.
mmm, Chicken Strips
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 72
Tank Sealant?

I just purchased a used 2007 Triumph Scrambler and the tank doesn’t look very good inside. It looks like the whole interior is painted red with a white coating around the filler. The red is scratched away from fuel nozzles and the white coating is peeling off and flaking into the tank. Is this coating from the factory or is this some sort of repair job? I am trying to figure out if I should get this cleaned and sealed or replace it.



By the way, I have been lurking in this thread for a while and now I have myself a new (to me) Scrambler! It will be a bit for title and plates so for now it is relaxing in the shed.

Mike
MikeD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #16202
TerryK
Ulysses
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: adelaide South Australia
Oddometer: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD. View Post
I just purchased a used 2007 Triumph Scrambler and the tank doesn’t look very good inside. It looks like the whole interior is painted red with a white coating around the filler. The red is scratched away from fuel nozzles and the white coating is peeling off and flaking into the tank. Is this coating from the factory or is this some sort of repair job? I am trying to figure out if I should get this cleaned and sealed or replace it.



By the way, I have been lurking in this thread for a while and now I have myself a new (to me) Scrambler! It will be a bit for title and plates so for now it is relaxing in the shed.

Mike
Looks like it's been resprayed, my 06 Scram has the red & the 09 Thrux is black inside the neck
__________________
Triumph Scrambler Blue & White
Triumph Thruxton Red
Yamaha TT-R250

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #16203
DoubleCafe
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DoubleCafe's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Cumming, GA - North GA Mountains
Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manray View Post
You can buy Touratech pannier hoops and fabricate the rest of the rack for the Scrambler using steel tubing or steel plate. There are 3 points on the subframe you can use to mount the pannier hoops to. One is the shock mount, another is the passenger foot peg and the third is under the seat beside the rear fender torx bolts.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/1...one-piece-18mm
Manray!

Thanks for the tip. I shop Touratech quite often and Never realized they sold just the hoops.
Thanks Again!
__________________
2014 Triumph Explorer XC
2007 Triumph Scrambler
2013 Ural T - "Death Proof Duck" Edition
1982 Montesa Cota 349
DoubleCafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #16204
MikeD.
mmm, Chicken Strips
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
Looks like it's been resprayed, my 06 Scram has the red & the 09 Thrux is black inside the neck
Are they red and/or black down in the tank also? I kind of expected that it would just be raw steel.
MikeD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #16205
trustme
Studly Adventurer
 
trustme's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Auckland , New Zealand
Oddometer: 948
Looks like a trend


My wife is pretty short but copes with well the Bonnie , just gotta make sure that stopping & starting is on fairly level ground. Only dropped it once in 2 years, stopped on loose metal , her foot slipped & down she went.

Since height is not a problem, I suspect she would get used to the high pipe pretty quick. Seems weird at first but after a couple of days she wont notice it.
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #16206
RMAK
The Magnanimous
 
RMAK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Ohio
Oddometer: 305
Trustme,
Those are the weirdest pillars I've ever seen on that building. Do those square protrusions near the top serve any purpose or just decoration? Maybe a NZ thing.

Also, nice family and bikes.
RMAK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #16207
trustme
Studly Adventurer
 
trustme's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Auckland , New Zealand
Oddometer: 948
Photo is taken in Arrowtown , an old mining town in the central south island. Buildings of that era had lots of funny little ornamental stuff.
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #16208
NoobIAm
Far, far from the Garden.
 
NoobIAm's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Oddometer: 2,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAK View Post
Trustme,
Those are the weirdest pillars I've ever seen on that building. Do those square protrusions near the top serve any purpose or just decoration? Maybe a NZ thing.

Also, nice family and bikes.
Well duh… it keeps the rats off the roof.
NoobIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #16209
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer
 
y0y02369's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,127
Wink Triumph Tiger 800 XC reviews

Hey y'all! So i am looking to get a new bike when i finish school (as a present to myself) and i have absolutely fallen in love with the looks of the tiger 800 xc. I have read a ton of reviews and people who have tried them but i wanted a real insight look, from owners! so i do plan to do some offroading (once i learn with a 250 ) but also a lot of freeway for commuting. So what are your thoughts and concerns? please list pros and cons... also costs of maintenance/parts!

thanks in advance!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #16210
Boola-Boola
Scramblin' Man
 
Boola-Boola's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Dorset County, Original England
Oddometer: 112
Question Triumph Tiger 800 XC reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
Hey y'all! So i am looking to get a new bike when i finish school (as a present to myself) and i have absolutely fallen in love with the looks of the tiger 800 xc. I have read a ton of reviews and people who have tried them but i wanted a real insight look, from owners! so i do plan to do some offroading (once i learn with a 250 ) but also a lot of freeway for commuting. So what are your thoughts and concerns? please list pros and cons... also costs of maintenance/parts!

thanks in advance!
Hi y0y0,
If it'sTiger 800XC advice 'n' stuff you're after then you're a bit off topic on this Scrambler thread.
Best place to look and ask may be on Tiger 800 threads like...
Triumph Tiger 800
Tiger Tales - Dialling in the 800XC for the dirt
Tiger 800XC owners: Would you buy it again?
(there may be others but a quick look in 'Beasts' turned up these)
You can, however, find out loads of good stuff about Triumph Scramblers on this one!
__________________
73's - Boola-Boola
-Triumph Scrambler EFI-

'You gotta deep-six your wristwatch, you gotta try an' understand, the time it seems to capture is just the movement of its hands.' (Walk in the Sunshine : Bob Weir)


Boola-Boola screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 11:24 AM Reason: make links consistently boldcase
Boola-Boola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #16211
optical
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: North Virginia
Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by optical View Post
Been looking through the thread.

6k miles have rolled around and my rear is looking a little bald.


I've been bouncing between Anakee 2, Mefo's and, K60s.

I think I'm going to settle on the K60s....

Anyone have issues with the 140/80 on the back?

What about a 110/80 on the front?
Ended up ordering a 140/80 K60 and a 100/90 TKC 80 for the front....we'll see how it goes.
optical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #16212
ajsimmo
Crinkley Codger
 
ajsimmo's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: UK, Devon
Oddometer: 88
Scrambler Alpinas

Contacted Alpina UK to ask about these -



Karl told me "The black alpina Tubeless cost £1250 inc UK delivery.... up to 6 weeks delivery time as they are made to order. Or the silver rim, black hubs i have in stock i can do for £1120 inc delivery"

After picking myself off the floor, I sadly realized that I would never have these beautiful wheels on my bike, except in my drunken dreams!!!!

Take a look if you've just won the lottery...... Alpina UK
ajsimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #16213
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer
 
y0y02369's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boola-Boola View Post
Hi y0y0,
If it'sTiger 800XC advice 'n' stuff you're after then you're a bit off topic on this Scrambler thread.
Best place to look and ask may be on Tiger 800 threads like...
Triumph Tiger 800
Tiger Tales - Dialling in the 800XC for the dirt
Tiger 800XC owners: Would you buy it again?
(there may be others but a quick look in 'Beasts' turned up these)
You can, however, find out loads of good stuff about Triumph Scramblers on this one!

Oh yeah i totally missed the "scrambler part" hhaha
I have already grown fond of thsese! some look really bad ass!!
thanks for the heads up!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #16214
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tvscum's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsimmo View Post
Contacted Alpina UK to ask about these -



Karl told me "The black alpina Tubeless cost £1250 inc UK delivery.... up to 6 weeks delivery time as they are made to order. Or the silver rim, black hubs i have in stock i can do for £1120 inc delivery"

After picking myself off the floor, I sadly realized that I would never have these beautiful wheels on my bike, except in my drunken dreams!!!!

Take a look if you've just won the lottery...... Alpina UK
Is that $1,600 each, or for the pair?
__________________
Current: 2012 Triumph Scrambler;
'97 Honda XR440 (plated)
Past: '83 Honda XR500; '84 Honda XL600;
'86 Yamaha XT350
tvscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #16215
Anarchist
Office Linebacker
 
Anarchist's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: In God's own, Carolina
Oddometer: 208
What is it about the Scrambler that makes me want it more than any other motorcycle in production? I love that bike. I have tested 2 of them but have not bought one yet.

I think they are absolutely beautiful.

__________________
Deo Vindice

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito
Anarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014