Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 03:12 AM   #31
gateman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiasDePlaya View Post
Don't do that because the treads will not work when wet.

What?

Great now cos you said that my tyres wont work now.

BullShit
gateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #32
NortwestRider OP
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,741
Don't you hate it when you have been doing something for along time and someone tells you it won't work and the next day it doesn't!!!.Kinda like the CT on the back of my Vstrom !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #33
NortwestRider OP
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Don't you hate it when you have been doing something for along time and someone tells you it won't work and the next day it doesn't!!!.Kinda like the CT on the back of my Vstrom !!.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #34
DiasDePlaya
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Sure it will. The traction for the front is for braking, for the rear is accellerating. They are opposite functions.
A tire will throw water either way as long as there are sipes.

Still, a lot of people doing this like to run in the direction indicated. I think it has something to do with their comfort zone. They're already breaking the laws of nature just by running a rear in front, then god help them if they ran it backwards.
So why most tires have almost the same treads design for the front and the rear?

By far the main function of the tire tread is to evacuate water.

"Ya veras como quieren en Chile al amigo cuando es forastero"
Traditional song
DiasDePlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #35
NortwestRider OP
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Front what I undetstand the front and rear tires are bilt different under the the tread,they may look alike ( tread wise ) but are built to handle 2 different functions...

Old 10-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #36
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,728
Except for tread design, I don't think a tire cares which way it runs. Bias tires are reinforced by 45 degree cords rim to rim that overlap one another. That is what plies are all about. Radial cords cross at a 90 degree angle. It may have been pertinent at one time, but modern tires have steel cords now and most have a belt that overlap the cords and runs around the circumference.

I understand the weight transfer issue, but rear tires seem to be able to be used for braking as well as acceleration. If you have a directional tire, it should run in the direction of the arrow, as that is what provides the best grip, based on the tread design.

itsatdm screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 03:31 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #37
mustang
Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 630
less weave and wobble with it reversed vs mounted the rotation direction arrow......I tried both ways , reversed was best . YMMV
on the 705 on a tiger anyway
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #38
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

I routinely flip my front TKC when they start cupping and have never noticed any difference. TKC's are directional, but I can't see any difference in the tread.

The advice to run the tires in the direction of the arrow, is the tire manufacturers, not mine. If you do some searching of tire threads, that appears to be the only objection

itsatdm screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 06:40 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #39
DiasDePlaya
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Basically there are two types of motorcycle tires treads. Treads perpendicular to the direction of travel and the treads in diagonal direction.
If the tread is perpendicular to the direction of travel in that direction are installed will have no effect on the behavior of the wheel. The designs are made diagonal to remove water from the contact area towards the edges as the wheel rotates, so these treads make an arrowhead in the direction of rotation, both the front and rear wheel. If installed inverted the arrowhead tread could accumulate water towards the contact area, facilitating the aquaplaning.

"Ya veras como quieren en Chile al amigo cuando es forastero"
Traditional song
DiasDePlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #40
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,039
Quote:
So why most tires have almost the same treads design for the front and the rear?

The discussion was about dualsport tires for running gravel on the Alcan. If you're gonna eavesdrop, pay attention.

Seriously, the rear treadblocks are designed for propelling the bike forward on dirt surfaces. Braking is secondary. Since the front wheel can't propel the bike it's sole grip function is for braking and cornering. The tire manufacturer will put a direction arrow on the tire to best take advantage of their tread design. A rear on a front should run in reverse so the best grip is for braking. As far as road tires having the same tread desing, true, but not true on adventure and dualsport tires. Similar, but not the same. Even knob height gets considered - too much makes the tire unstable on the road.

But everyone is confused by this tread direction thing because the manufactueres flip flop on us too. Compare the front tread on a Pirelli Scorpion Trail and a Karoo 2. One has the knobs running in a vee facing forward to cup on braking, the other facing backward like a rear knob pattern. Which is right? Both are directional.

More important is tire shape if you're gonna lean the bike. Many rear tires have a less rounded profile on a designated rear design and you can over ride them on the front. Just keep an eye on your chicken strips when you start bending the bike over in turns.

On road tire design is a whole 'nother animal. You get into profile shapes, compounds, heights and shoulder designs, lots'a road racing stuff there. Lots of sipes, no sipes, and on and on. And that's where you got your opinion that 'tread is for shedding water' but that's just a small part of the equation.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #41
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

You are right, but for a reason I ever heard of before..

What is a tread splice? When a tire is manufactured the tread portion of the tire starts out as a long flat strip. This strip is wrapped around the tire and the two ends are cut on an angle so one end overlaps the other rather than having square cut ends.
This overlapping point or splice offers a bigger surface area to bond together, rather than the small surface area provided by square cut ends. (Imagine gluing your fingertips together, as opposed to gluing along the entire length of your fingers laid on top of each other. Like an angled splice, the overlapping fingers result in a much stronger bond).
To further ensure the strength of this bond along the tread splice the directional arrow will show you which way to mount the tire so that when the rider is “on the gas”; the acceleration force on the rear tire is pressing the splice together, rather than peeling it back.
As for braking, 80 % of the braking should take place in the front on most bikes. Therefore, the front tread splice is run in the opposite direction than that of the rear, so when the rider is on the brakes, he’s not peeling the tread splice back.
If you are using a tire that has a directional arrow for rear rotation only and for some reason you want to put it on the front, make sure it is rotating in the opposite direction so you don’t aggravate the tread splice. Avon Tyres.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #42
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:

I think you'll find most of them are opposite. The fronts will V to the rear and the rears will V to the front. The rears drive the bike forward and the fronts get driven to stop.

I would tend to agree that running the V forward on the front could lend to hydroplaning. So you're right in that aspect. If you run a rear in the front in the direction indicated for a rear installation, you get the V facing forward. You want it facing back to channel water and for breaking grip. Hence running them in reverse rotation. I also think this is important for best breaking power on dirt.

My scorpion trails are opposite, front to rears. Sipes in a V facing back to the outside, but the rears have the V facing forward to the outside for best grip when accellerating.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #43
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
You are right, but for a reason I ever heard of before..

What is a tread splice? When a tire is manufactured the tread portion of the tire starts out as a long flat strip. This strip is wrapped around the tire and the two ends are cut on an angle so one end overlaps the other rather than having square cut ends.
This overlapping point or splice offers a bigger surface area to bond together, rather than the small surface area provided by square cut ends. (Imagine gluing your fingertips together, as opposed to gluing along the entire length of your fingers laid on top of each other. Like an angled splice, the overlapping fingers result in a much stronger bond).
To further ensure the strength of this bond along the tread splice the directional arrow will show you which way to mount the tire so that when the rider is “on the gas”; the acceleration force on the rear tire is pressing the splice together, rather than peeling it back.
As for braking, 80 % of the braking should take place in the front on most bikes. Therefore, the front tread splice is run in the opposite direction than that of the rear, so when the rider is on the brakes, he’s not peeling the tread splice back.
If you are using a tire that has a directional arrow for rear rotation only and for some reason you want to put it on the front, make sure it is rotating in the opposite direction so you don’t aggravate the tread splice. Avon Tyres.

+1
You're on to something there.
I have not heard of that before but it makes perfect sense.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #44
mustang
Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 630
This is a dedicated Shinko 705 front tire mounted in the direction of the rotation arrow .........

this is a Shinko 705 REAR tire mounted backwards on the front .........do you notice any thing similar about the two pics ?

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:22 AM   #45
gateman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138

Thats on backward. The direction arrow runs back ward. Its a back tyre by design mounted on the front. 38,000K's on that tyre in this photo. No bullshit.

SO I GUESs IT WORKS.

and thats a view from the back after a dash across Australia and back.
Same bike same tyres same trip before and after.
gateman is offline   Reply With Quote