Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #30871
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
I try to take notes when I see important information discussed here, so that I don't have to search 2000+ pages. Sometimes I make mistakes, however.

I believe that the stock chain is 110 links for stock 13/43 gearing on the WRR. Is this accurate?...
This may be a good place to add a recommendation to use http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Extremely useful when figuring out this kind of stuff. Has accurate data on WRR/X stock gearing/chain length/tires to use as a base. The big takeaway for me is that talking about gearing is pointless without including tire diameter (or circumference). It will also allow you to calculate what chain length is required for a given sprocket combo.

Next Trip: the Nevada-Utah-Arizona 3 step (hoping, DingWeed)...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #30872
Gryphon12
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 955
Very cool. Thanks.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #30873
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
2 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble View Post
108 links

I have searched around, but know that with stock(ish) diameter tires the preferred combo seems to be 13/45 with the 17" x rims, and 13/47 with the 18/21" ers. I have an x w stock gearing, but it just seems geared "wrong" 6th is kinda useless, so it will be a 13/45 for the 17" wheels.
1. I will be running both sets of wheels, and have heard of using offset axle spacers that will take up the chain slack to minimize the use of the adjusters when using 2 wheel sets w/ 2 gearing options. (they basically flip over) Where are these available from, and what have people experiences w/ them been. Sorry for sounding like a newb, which i am, but all my previous bikes have had clamshells.

2.110 or 112 links? Any final words before I order the wheels spacers and new gears?

Thanks!
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #30874
mwgak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Ran 13/45 (17") and 13/47 (18') with a 112. Could have run a 110 with stock tires. MT43 gets close to the guard with a new 110. Stock is 108.
mwgak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #30875
NL-Patrick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Puke

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
You can safely increase the height by 1 1/2" without getting into trouble. Any more than that, and you'll be looking for longer clutch & throttle cables and brake hose.
Thanks for the info, just got myself a little toy today. And yes is was raining today in Holland Luggage rack is is the first thing that's coming off and then the rear needs a cosmetic clean up.

Gr Patrick
NL-Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #30876
ArmyJoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by NL-Patrick View Post
Thanks for the info, just got myself a little toy today. And yes is was raining today in Holland Luggage rack is is the first thing that's coming off and then the rear needs a cosmetic clean up.

Gr Patrick
Ironic. The Wolfman rack is the first thing going on mine.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #30877
NL-Patrick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
I have a XT660z Tenere for long distance travel and the WR is just for fun
NL-Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #30878
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by NL-Patrick View Post

Gr Patrick
Sold my Wolfman rack here in just a few hours.

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #30879
jon_l
Southern Ontario

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
I thought the same thing!

Each to his own!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #30880
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,174
I've been thinking about buying a set of Wolfman racks for my WR. Have them on my DR and they're great. Too bad you're not on this side of the pond.

"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano

FYYFF
thumpididump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #30881
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Staintune sent me this, I'm wondering how it compares to the FMF setup? If all I have to do is whack on the staintune then lift up the airbox flap to get the same gains as FMF pipe + header + fuel map then going with the staintune feels like a no brainer to me?

Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #30882
sequent
South Australia's own....

Oddometer: 408
Hi All,

Back in Post #30605 I posted a couple of photos of my Australasian Safari-prepped WRR. Well the rally has been run and won, 3,300km over eight days - the little WRR and I ended up finishing 22nd overall from 37 starters, and won the 250cc class. In all that racing, the only "regular" maintenance needed was one oil and filter change on Day 4, a new chain slider on Day 6 and replacement of the rear mousse tube (ran the same front and rear tyres for the whole event, although the rear could have done with replacement by Day 5). She ran like a dream, lacked power in the deep sand, and maxed out at 115kph (with 13:49 gearing) on the transport stages, but for most of the rally was able to keep pace with the faster mid-sized machines. Fuel consumption (given it was mostly sand-based terrain) was pretty high, around 6 litres per 100km at race pace, so some of the longer (260km) stages needed the fuel I kept in a 4-litre Nomad rear tank mounted on the rear guard in addition to the 14-litre Safari tank I ran.

Dave.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #30883
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequent View Post
Hi All,

Back in Post #30605 I posted a couple of photos of my Australasian Safari-prepped WRR. Well the rally has been run and won, 3,300km over eight days - the little WRR and I ended up finishing 22nd overall from 37 starters, and won the 250cc class. In all that racing, the only "regular" maintenance needed was one oil and filter change on Day 4, a new chain slider on Day 6 and replacement of the rear mousse tube (ran the same front and rear tyres for the whole event, although the rear could have done with replacement by Day 5). She ran like a dream, lacked power in the deep sand, and maxed out at 115kph (with 13:49 gearing) on the transport stages, but for most of the rally was able to keep pace with the faster mid-sized machines. Fuel consumption (given it was mostly sand-based terrain) was pretty high, around 6 litres per 100km at race pace, so some of the longer (260km) stages needed the fuel I kept in a 4-litre Nomad rear tank mounted on the rear guard in addition to the 14-litre Safari tank I ran.

Dave.
how many in the 250 class? just curious as you never hear about them much or in the Dakar for that matter

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #30884
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
Staintune sent me this, I'm wondering how it compares to the FMF setup? If all I have to do is whack on the staintune then lift up the airbox flap to get the same gains as FMF pipe + header + fuel map then going with the staintune feels like a no brainer to me?
Why is the horizontal scale in mph?
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #30885
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
I took my WR250R to Broome once and it was terrible in the sand, it took so much physical strength to get it to do anything and I'd be worn out in 20-30 minutes of it and I'm at the gym 4-5 nights a week. This was its real downfall imo, thankfully there's no sand where I live now, for here it's the best bike ever imo!
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote