ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #1021
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus
 
Chuckracer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Lowville, NY
Oddometer: 7,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Like I said before, if I wanted a Ducati/BMW/Tenere, I'd own one.
That's exactly why I like and want this bike: I DO want a Ducati/BMW/Tenere except I want it to be a KTM.

I'm in!
__________________
2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure
2001 Scorpa SY250

Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #1022
Navin
Unwounding
 
Navin's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 6,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
That's exactly why I like and want this bike: I DO want a Ducati/BMW/Tenere except I want it to be a KTM.

I'm in!

Like the KLRs with the BMW roundels?
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #1023
Meico640
Banned
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: South Side Massive, Brissy, Ozstralia
Oddometer: 264
That's what I meant, but it is smaller because they now have to really compete with BMW TRIUMPH ETC, instead of being the big dirt bike that you'd rather be on in the dirt !
Meico640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #1024
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
That's exactly why I like and want this bike: I DO want a Ducati/BMW/Tenere except I want it to be a KTM.

I'm in!
Yep!

This bike has a leg up for performance motorcyclists that ride in the real world.

MTS- stick to the pavement and has worse fueling (which it also uses more of) and less grunt

GS - can ride with grandpa on all roads also make sure you don the Aerostitch so you look like everyone else in your 20 bike group

Tenere- somehow even heavier than GS, with less power but better off road...vanilla functionality

1190 Adv - rip through twisties and broken pavement with your buddies on MTS's then leave them for dead when you rip through forest service roads to connect to more awesome roads, truly can go anywhere at a sporty pace*

*- if you live in the real world there are few places you can truly ride "off road" (paved and not), and those few places are designated trails and pay-to-visit-parks... And taking a real "ready to race" EXC there makes so much more sense, unless you are a star bucks poseur on your 9x0 bike. (I kid... Kind of)
__________________
'14 KTM 1190-R
wilmar13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #1025
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Central NJ
Oddometer: 9,703
I agree and celebrate that this bike will appeal to a broader audience.

But I'm at pains to understand how it's (at least the R version) less dirt worthy than the 9x0 absent any actual actual riding experience.

I hear the same whining about the exhaust routing and can, skid plate, and suspension travel. Yet these are areas where the majority of 9x0 owners have spent money to improve the 9x0's: so what's the big deal? As I've said, the 1190, equipped as many of us will accessorize them, will weigh less, be narrower, have the same or more power with the flick of a switch, have switchable dirt specific ABS and traction control, far more range, and tubeless tires, easier maintenance, etc.. At what promises to be a competitive price point.

I think the posing issue wrt this bike is being done by the people upset about losing the look of the 9x0. That's really my only beef with the 1190 and I would have preferred they kept it. I mean I like the looks of the 1190, but the 9x0 is a shape for the ages.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #1026
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
I think the posing issue wrt this bike is being done by the people upset about losing the look of the 9x0. That's really my only beef with the 1190 and I would have preferred they kept it. I mean I like the looks of the 1190, but the 9x0 is a shape for the ages.
Agreed on the 990 being the epic Rally bike, but it is imagery and history now... That is the irony of the Starbucks slams; the 990 is the poseur bike. The 1190 is designed and marketed to be nothing but what it is, a sporty real world motorcycle.
__________________
'14 KTM 1190-R
wilmar13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #1027
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer
 
triplenickel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Campbell River, BC. Fantasy Island
Oddometer: 2,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
I'll agree that it might, but lets not get ahead of the game and say it already is a runaway sucess! I guess I'm in the minority but this bike is far less appealing than what it replaces for me. Maybe we need a poll of 950-990 owners to see how many would replace their bikes with this? Like I said before, if I wanted a Ducati/BMW/Tenere, I'd own one.

We know how you feel dude let it go already. You keep praising the old LC8's but keep it in perspective you're selling yours......................
__________________
07 SE

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #1028
Navin
Unwounding
 
Navin's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 6,672
And I'd buy a new, better one but it would need to be lighter and have better ergos for off roading. This ain't it.

I don't see how it can be called a full blown sales sucess before it's released or even tested by a mag but hey, to each his own! I guess all the guys who are drooling should have been lined up to buy the SMt990s but they didn't???
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #1029
bikepharmer
Baja is on the way
 
bikepharmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Oddometer: 122
Am I missing something or...

I have not seen that the 990 is going away, only that they are adding a new member (1190) to the line up. All this talk of a by-gone era, loss of a classic, etc. and I have not heard any of that. I see the 990 competing (trouncing) with the F800GS and Tiger 800 XC. The 1190 is fitting right in there with the group mentioned, and I bet they are eat them alive to. For example, it is the only bike in that class that is chain driven (with associated pros/cons). In that class, I bet the KTM crushes the ST and BMW, MST, and Tiger explorer. I am sure they did their market research before developing the bike.

Unless I missed something, the 990 isn't going anywhere, folks.
__________________
2012 KTM 990 ADV R.
2007 KLX 250S
The man who starts alone can start today.
bikepharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #1030
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
I don't see how it can be called a full blown sales sucess before it's released or even tested by a mag but hey, to each his own! I guess all the guys who are drooling should have been lined up to buy the SMt990s but they didn't???
I can only speak for myself and say that the engine is just plain f*cking awesome, and since it is a MOTORcycle... Unless KTM screws it up somehow, which I don't see likely, it is going to be an awesome motorcycle. Just as you can't stop thinking how great the bikes KTM made 10 years ago are the best thing ever and this is a huge misstep, I can't stop thinking how much I wish this bike was available when I painfully debated between 990R I have always wanted and the sexy RC8R that had a great motor and purchased the latter.

The SMT is a supermoto with big tank and a bit underpowered. This bike seems to cover the gaps by adding power and giving more well rounded wheel sizing.
__________________
'14 KTM 1190-R
wilmar13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #1031
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepharmer View Post
I have not seen that the 990 is going away, only that they are adding a new member (1190) to the line up. All this talk of a by-gone era, loss of a classic, etc. and I have not heard any of that. I see the 990 competing (trouncing) with the F800GS and Tiger 800 XC. The 1190 is fitting right in there with the group mentioned, and I bet they are eat them alive to. For example, it is the only bike in that class that is chain driven (with associated pros/cons). In that class, I bet the KTM crushes the ST and BMW, MST, and Tiger explorer. I am sure they did their market research before developing the bike.

Unless I missed something, the 990 isn't going anywhere, folks.
Excellent point!
__________________
'14 KTM 1190-R
wilmar13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #1032
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
I'll agree that it might, but lets not get ahead of the game and say it already is a runaway sucess! I guess I'm in the minority but this bike is far less appealing than what it replaces for me. Maybe we need a poll of 950-990 owners to see how many would replace their bikes with this? Like I said before, if I wanted a Ducati/BMW/Tenere, I'd own one.
KTM was NOT going after 950/990 owners who will upgrade, they are going after new owners from other brands. All the existing 950/990 owners who don't like this bike will keep their bikes for many many years to come or maybe look at the smaller & lighter v-twin bike KTM is said to be making.
This bike is not for them.

Is that so hard to grasp that KTM is branching out? There is a reason all the mfg are producing 1200cc big adv bikes these days. They are selling. BMW leads the market and KTM wants a piece of the pie. No different than what the Super Tenere, Tiger Explorer XC, Stelvio NTX and even the new 1000 Strom concept are shooting for, plus for road only (ie regular 1190) you've also got the 1000 Versys and the new Caponord. BMW has shown it's not giving up with the new GS and they even have an enduro version that is said to cross back towards KTM with better dirt performance. Is there any doubt what all these mfg. are going for???
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 09:06 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #1033
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam
 
cyborg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Pacific NorthWet
Oddometer: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepharmer View Post
Unless I missed something, the 990 isn't going anywhere, folks.
A certain KTM official at a certain recent KTM Rally in Bend, OR did in fact mention to me that the 990 engine was at the end of production this year, so I wouldn't count on the KTM990 continuing. I suppose it is possible they may size down the LC8 to an 800, just speculation.

Now how can I wedge the new '13 1190 engine into my '07 990S, hmmm.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #1034
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer
 
farmerger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Chase, BC
Oddometer: 510
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
KTM was NOT going after 950/990 owners who will upgrade, they are going after new owners from other brands. All the existing 950/990 owners who don't like this bike will keep their bikes for many many years to come or maybe look at the smaller & lighter v-twin bike KTM is said to be making.
This bike is not for them.

Is that so hard to grasp that KTM is branching out? There is a reason all the mfg are producing 1200cc big adv bikes these days. They are selling. BMW leads the market and KTM wants a piece of the pie. No different than what the Super Tenere, Tiger Explorer XC, Stelvio NTX and even the new 1000 Strom concept are shooting for, plus for road only (ie regular 1190) you've also got the 1000 Versys and the new Caponord. BMW has shown it's not giving up with the new GS and they even have an enduro version that is said to cross back towards KTM with better dirt performance. Is there any doubt what all these mfg. are going for???
Exactly. I've been drooling over the 950/990 Adventure for years now. Never could get myself to sell the 1200GS, because even though its not nearly as good off-road its that much better on. But as I kept trying to make my GS more dirt worthy it became obvious that it will never even get close to what the KTM can do in the dirt. I will admit that when I read that the new GS will have a wet clutch I got right out excited thinking finally the GS will be more dirt worthy, but then the BMW guys screwed it up, put fatter even more dirt unfriendly tires on the new cow, made no mention of lower gearing for off-road and to put the coup the grace on it made the diameter of the front forks smaller. This new 1190 looks like it will still be much more dirt worthy than the GS, but should be just as good, maybe even better, than the GS on road.
__________________
Crashin' like Ewan!

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
farmerger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #1035
what car??
down the road
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 354
"'It will Look perfect in a Starbucks parking lot'"

Right next to the BM.....

Needs the boxes though......
what car?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014