ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #31
Dunewar OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dunewar's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Ostend Belgium
Oddometer: 337
Ok ok guys, i get the picture. I wasn't going to sneak by her and get a sportsbike anyway, but as one poster said : i truly feel that a sportsbike is the safest because of the better brakes, better suspension and overall quality. But i do get the point where the comfortable speed zone moves up because the bike makes it easier.

And i admire the fact that she stands her ground for one reason only: she loves me. That's why all the replies about 'get what you want, she doesn't have a say' are void. Love like that should be respected. And should i die on a bike, my family will be well cared for. House will be payed for, big sum of insurance coming, no financial worries. I feel that it is the duty of any husband/father to take such measures, even those that don't ride.

Anyway, I could get what i wanted in any case, but i choose to have her consent. I just want my wife to have a peacefull mind when i'm out riding.

One problem though : her definition of a sportsbike is big. Anything with a fairing. Anything with a slightly forward position. Anything with the name ducati on it. A r1100s is a sportsbike. So is a vfr. And a gsx650f. Even a ninja 650. And a monster. Oh and the budget should be around what i get for my r1100gs (my choice). And i don't like riding a naked bike. Any tips ?



Maybe i should get a Dnepr or an ural...
Dunewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #32
Flyinace1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Flyinace1's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: So Cal
Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
I would say that because you agreed to that condition, you should keep it. That's not being a "doormat"; that's called personal integrity.
Definitely agree. You and your wife made a deal,I think you should keep it. It's not being a doormat, its being a man and keeping your word.
__________________
Anti-Murphy's Law:
Whatever can go right will go right

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:32 AM   #33
Dunewar OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dunewar's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Ostend Belgium
Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinace1 View Post
Definitely agree. You and your wife made a deal,I think you should keep it. It's not being a doormat, its being a man and keeping your word.
I know. I wouldn't break it unless she changed her point of view. But it doesn't hurt to reason with her In any case, the rest has already convinced me to abandon the sportsbike idea.
Dunewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:24 AM   #34
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal, Canada
Oddometer: 375
some people warn you about an angry wife situation. But you could be angry too by having to tolerate such inflexible conditions. That you can explain to her. Talk. Beside this is not law. Everything is negociable. you have to find the value of what you are asking by offering something else. Maybe relaxing one of your own conditions (if you have none, then start making some to recuperate some power...man...).

now for the hardware... you have made your choice. I wont recommend other bikes. I agree the luggage trick sounds a good idea, but she is not going to be fooled for long when she realizes these are removable.

so whats the winning argument... well, she is concerned with excessive speed. you are telling you you wouldnt change your driving. so isnt there some torque limiter rev limiter you can put in? if you find the idea ludicrous, then you are not honest with us or her and you intend to push it. Mentiond it at least, and if she doesn;t agree, thats because there is something else that bothers her. If she is ok, mention the extra price casuallly, maybe now she knows you were serious she may not force you to buy such limiter.

now here is another idea. is she riding with you? if so, have her agree to rent a sportbike and ride with her to show her how it is. because it is not a big investment nor permanent, she might agree at least for the ride. Then you can count on the bike to do the rest. If I read you correctly, you want it for looks mostly.
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #35
ganze
apocalyptic defender
 
ganze's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: texas
Oddometer: 436
you are a wise man.

It took several years for me to help my wife understand that motorcycles are not a guaranteed death sentence.

Then I got rear-ended at a stop light.

It wasn't real bad, I wasn't real hurt and I could have hidden it from her because she never looks at the bike. But that's not the kind of relationship that I want with her. I told her.

She was really cool about it. I had really been able to help her change her mind to the point that this didn't end all riding. She asked me to up the the life insurance majorly and said: "this is the price of admission with you. without stuff like this, you can't be you. just don't be a dumbass. " Which is real hard because I am not all that risk averse to begin with.

Give it time: she'll figure out that anything with a fairing is not a sport-bike.
__________________
Supermoto bikes exist so that 40 year old men who know better can act like total assholes.
ganze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #36
Navin
Unwounding
 
Navin's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 6,671
A classic Vespa that rarely runs sounds like a good fit for both of you.
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #37
Schickmeister
Youngin'
 
Schickmeister's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Your Mom's House
Oddometer: 2,659
No sportbike? Does that mean your wife thinks doing 100 and crashing on your BMW won't kill you, but on a sportbike it will?
__________________
Jason
'11 Flying Banana
Schickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #38
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 1,996
super duke R, tuono factory (v twin) or even the new tuono V4

you riding gear will get more bug splatter though.
__________________
Alan
2011 KTM RC8R
2012 BMW S1000RR
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #39
Navin
Unwounding
 
Navin's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 6,671
He might as well be looking for a unicorn.

He doesn't want a naked bike. She won't allow a faired bike. Gee, what is left?

A car.

A nice, safe, 50 airbag equipt car. I like cars too! There are some great cars!

But you want a bike. A bike that can't fit in your description of what you are either allowed to get or want to ride. You might as well want 350 HP and top shelf components brand new in 2013 for under $400 out the door and that gets 200 MPG.

Good luck.
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #40
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer
 
PhilB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunewar View Post
... One problem though : her definition of a sportsbike is big. Anything with a fairing. Anything with a slightly forward position. Anything with the name ducati on it. A r1100s is a sportsbike. So is a vfr. And a gsx650f. Even a ninja 650. And a monster. Oh and the budget should be around what i get for my r1100gs (my choice). And i don't like riding a naked bike. Any tips ?
She says "no fairing" and you don't like naked bikes; she says nothing with a slightly forward riding position, and you say "and the forward riding position somehow agrees with my back and makes me feel very comfortable" -- that doesn't leave much.

An adventure bike like what you've got is probably about all that will fit. Maybe look at some newer sportier adventure bikes? Triumph Tiger or Explorer? Or modify the ergonomics on the bike you have to get a more forward position that makes your back happier?

PhilB
__________________
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (228,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #41
Navin
Unwounding
 
Navin's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 6,671
Don't they have what she would call a fairing?
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #42
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon
 
Jimmy the Heater's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: WA Palouse area
Oddometer: 1,831
Hummmm I don't feel much difference in wind between my SV1000n and a BMW GS...not night and day anyway. It's not enough that it would prevent me from wanting to ride either one.

How about a Tiger 1050? Upright riding position, stonking motor, put some lower bars on it after you've had it awhile *shrug*
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #43
Wobbleside
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: South Bay, SF Bay Area, California
Oddometer: 150
Multistrada and done!
Wobbleside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #44
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer
 
PhilB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbleside View Post
Multistrada and done!
Except:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunewar View Post
... One problem though : her definition of a sportsbike is big. Anything with a fairing. Anything with a slightly forward position. Anything with the name ducati on it. A r1100s is a sportsbike. So is a vfr. And a gsx650f. Even a ninja 650. And a monster. Oh and the budget should be around what i get for my r1100gs (my choice). And i don't like riding a naked bike. Any tips ? ...
:(

PhilB
__________________
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (228,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #45
SnappNBrrap
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SnappNBrrap's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Nashvegas, Tennersee
Oddometer: 167
sportbikes are actually the safest, and if you argue against it you're an idiot. they brake, handle, and accelerate better than other types of bikes. all of which are necessary for getting out of certain situations. might i suggest something like a VFR800 or an FZ1 as a compromise. both are quite capable in the corners and are more touring oriented that a CBR/R1/Ninja/Gixxer etc.
__________________
This Turkey, don't jive.

09 Yamaha FZ6 in Faster Blue
SnappNBrrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014