Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 06:24 AM   #1801
x_hog_ridr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Got to be rather thorough with the velcro and I find that if I pull the pants up as high as I can (and look like a total dork) it helps. I also find that not zipping the rain pants to the armored pants let's me pull them up higher. It's all about not creating a bowl to collect water on that long liner zipper.
I asked Wayne to make a pair of the internal rain pants with no opening in that area and keep the crotch all one piece.
He told me that I must be doing it wrong if it leaks, because I'm the only one out of millions sold. I said that velcro and a zipper do not stop water from coming through. I now use my Harley one piece crotch pants if I need internal rain pants. If Wayne could make these one piece, they would be the best.
x_hog_ridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #1802
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by x_hog_ridr View Post
I asked Wayne to make a pair of the internal rain pants with no opening in that area and keep the crotch all one piece.
He told me that I must be doing it wrong if it leaks, because I'm the only one out of millions sold. I said that velcro and a zipper do not stop water from coming through. I now use my Harley one piece crotch pants if I need internal rain pants. If Wayne could make these one piece, they would be the best.
You're not the only one with a wet crotch in Motoport gear. It's not as bad as my Aerostitch but it happens.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #1803
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFazer View Post
Oh, it was the elastic panel at the top of the pants, not the kevlar. With the jerry-rigged suspenders I had on there before, the front clips were attached to the kevlar in the front, but they were attached to the elastic waistband in the back. With the Motoport suspenders that I have on there now, there's no worries about ripping anything!
I wear clip on suspenders with my MP ultra II pants...i thought the same thing about clipping the clips to the stretch panel.....so i clip them to the supplied belt. works great..no damage to the pants...if you clip the clips just off to the side by the first belt loops the belt wont slide through the loops when the pants are un done.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #1804
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,989
Quote:
You're not the only one with a wet crotch in Motoport gear. It's not as bad as my Aerostitch but it happens.
You must be doing something wrong
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #1805
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:

Me thinks Wayne is having a case of "Selective Memory Loss"..............

I had the same issue with mine (about a year and a half ago), and after sending the liners back and forth...then showing him pictures of soaking wet shorts.....he agreed to send me a new pair of liners. Not only did he send me new liners (at his expense)...but I had them made without a zipper in the crotch. Guess what....no leaky
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #1806
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 446
The liners I was using didnt have zippers in the crotch (like a normal pant), it had zippers on the sides. The water probably seeped in from under the elastic belt of the rain liner. Sucked.
I will try Boon Booni's advice next time.
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #1807
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
You must be doing something wrong
It's really all about if a bowl forms over the zipper when you sit on your bike. If you've got a bowl you've got a leak. If I pull the pants way up no bowl forms and not leaky.

I can't pull my stitch up like I can the liners so the stitch always forms a bowl and always leaks.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #1808
makinwaves
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,883
Quote:
Same here. I guess I must be one in a million too!

To his credit Wayne replaced them with a new liner FREE OF CHARGE! The new one has worked pretty well but I'm starting to sense they may fail soon as well (noticing some moisture transfer). For the most part I suspect Wayne has only a small number of customers who commute year round and who live in the Pacific NorthWET. My gear sees a lot of rain and eventually, even with treatment, it's going to wear out.

I'd like to buy a new pair when these wear out...but Wayne has banned me from the store. But that's a whole other story....

((Edit - caught up on the other posts and see there are other one in a millions out there too. I don't think it's a bowl issue for me, simply longer term exposures to heavy rains for sustained periods.))

makinwaves screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 12:05 AM
makinwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:34 AM   #1809
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,989
Quote:
It's really all about if a bowl forms over the zipper when you sit on your bike. If you've got a bowl you've got a leak. If I pull the pants way up no bowl forms and not leaky.

I can't pull my stitch up like I can the liners so the stitch always forms a bowl and always leaks.
My smiley should've been a not a
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #1810
DEdge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Police air mesh kevlar Britches

After riding for a hundred kilometers in the rain between 19 and 35 degrees C yesterday and today, can assure you that the groin area did not get wet with the police air mesh kevlar britches without liner.. Have yet to test them in a monsoon but for a regular tropical downpour am a happy camper. Updated 10-18-2012 second wet ride was monsoon downpour and did get wet. The good news is in the tropics riding out of the storm, they dried remarkably quickly.

An outstanding pant. After riding with the BMW airflow 3 for a year or so and 8,000 km including in the Mojave with them, when I saw the Motoport gear was impressed and now have enjoyed the pants for a few weeks.

Motoport's overall perceived protection and especially the seams and zippers are head and shoulders better than anything have ever worn, including a Held suit, the BMW airflow 2, 3 and venting machine suits. IMHO up to now the BMW airflow 3 has been the highest perceived protection in suit armor and appears at first glance to be better than Motoport's tri-armor. Motoport's quad armor appears to be much better than BMW. But luckily have not crash tested either. I found the closest perceived protection to the Quad armor to be the Forcefield gear.

Without a doubt the pants I will be wearing most on and off-road will be the Motoport in the Caribbean and elsewhere.

On sizing sent them the marked jeans and first round was a great fit.
Cannot think of anything else they could do to make them better.

As a result ordered the ultra air mesh 2 jacket. Will post an update after receiving and ride testing.

DEdge screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 12:04 PM
DEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #1811
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Oddometer: 860
My latest motoport gear is three years old, including the liners. Earlier this year, in the spring, the pants liner sprung a leak on the upper inside of the left thigh. Fixed by motoport. Just a month ago, both inner elbows and upper forearms got wet. Motoport fixed the jacket liner, too. So far, Wayne seems to be standing by his lifetime warranty for the liners. I am guessing, though, that the jacket liner will start to leak soon - I had a bit of dampness around the inside elbows just last week. Tomorrow morning will be another test for the gear - rain all morning long.....

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
TheWorstKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #1812
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,742
Can the seams be sealed on these liners? Mine are about 5 years old now and I have gotten some damp spots.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #1813
Monty_Burns
Excellent.

Oddometer: 1,277
Lots and lots of broken snaps on the liners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7MDL View Post
Snaps are simple devices and 99% of them will be fine, no special technique required to unsnap them, I doubt we have to treat our liners with kid gloves, I certanly have not.

When they break it is usually because the flared edge inside was hammered too much and made it thin and cracked, or it was off center and not pressed enough. For probably less then 5 bucks you can get a snap repair kit and fix it yourself. I run into broken snaps every once in a while, do my own repairs. Do not hammer it too much.
I did a quick search on the broken snap situation, because I've had a lot show-up just recently. I rarely insert and remove my liners, but starting with one of the first time I removed my liner earlier this year, I had a the male end of a snap come apart.

Just tonight, I was putting my liners back in and found 3 snaps had failed. They are all failing in the same manor. The flared tube part of the rivet cracks where it intersects the base. It makes me think they got a bad batch of snaps in or something. My suit was made in Mid-2011 and I'm wondering if anyone else was having excessive snap failure (some failed snaps are normal as mentioned above).

Wayne has previously sent me some snaps to replace the one I had earlier in the year, but at this rate I'm going to run out. I needed the snap tool and happened to purchase it and a load of snaps from the hardware store for $2.99. A total PITA and I'm a little pissed that my cost-as-much-as-my-last-bike suit needs these kinds of at-home repairs, but it is manageable.
Monty_Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #1814
harley1550
Touring Rider

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty_Burns View Post
I did a quick search on the broken snap situation, because I've had a lot show-up just recently. I rarely insert and remove my liners, but starting with one of the first time I removed my liner earlier this year, I had a the male end of a snap come apart.

Just tonight, I was putting my liners back in and found 3 snaps had failed. They are all failing in the same manor. The flared tube part of the rivet cracks where it intersects the base. It makes me think they got a bad batch of snaps in or something. My suit was made in Mid-2011 and I'm wondering if anyone else was having excessive snap failure (some failed snaps are normal as mentioned above).

Wayne has previously sent me some snaps to replace the one I had earlier in the year, but at this rate I'm going to run out. I needed the snap tool and happened to purchase it and a load of snaps from the hardware store for $2.99. A total PITA and needs these kinds of at-home repairs, but it is manageable.
Quote:" I'm a little pissed that my cost-as-much-as-my-last-bike suit needs these kinds of at-home repairs"Unquote LOL What was your last bike? :) Cycleport gear isn't inexpensive, for sure, but it is far from the most expensive gear and MUCH less than any bike other than an old, unwanted one. The over the top hyperbola doesn't help your case with readers or illicit sympathy. My liners are 7 years old, used frequently, and are in as good of shape as they were when new. I don't baby them but I don't treat them harshly either, though I'm sure they could take relatively tough treatment. I'm not saying that you are rough on them but I have to admit the question arose. :)

You titled your post, "Lots and lots of broken snaps on the liners?" Where did the LOTS and LOTS come from? LOL

harley1550 screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 08:08 PM
harley1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:19 AM   #1815
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty_Burns View Post

Wayne has previously sent me some snaps to replace the one I had earlier in the year, but at this rate I'm going to run out. I needed the snap tool and happened to purchase it and a load of snaps from the hardware store for $2.99. A total PITA and I'm a little pissed that my cost-as-much-as-my-last-bike suit needs these kinds of at-home repairs, but it is manageable.
I had one of the storm flap snaps come apart. I used a pop rivet to fix it and it's never going to come apart again.