Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 05:45 AM   #16
Shadow10
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
^^^^^ Nice!

I would be very surprised if there are many of those around, let alone in private hands. The production models are very rare.

I plan on keeping mine original. I can never understand why so many people molest them the way they do.
Shadow10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:49 AM   #17
Shadow10
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
Toyotacelicas.com is the one I joined, but I'm not sure how reliable it is in the technical area. The ratio of dumb kids to intelligent technicians is much different when there's 4 wheels, it seems, especially in a Jap import.

I can say heater cores aren't too fun on anything modern. Even on my old fullsize truck, I let a shop take care of it. Not sure I'd do that again, but probably for the Toyota I would. On the other hand, there might be a trick to it for these. I would imagine it's not terrible, just a tight fit. I think a lot of the fasteners are in view.

I haven't drove it a ton. I just went out and registered/insured it today so we'll see how it goes. Shocks are definitely kaput, so I'm taking it easy on the bumpy stuff. As well, the AC compressor seems to be out, and upgrading to a modern one is a good chunk of money. Luckily I'm just in it for the roof and heater. From what I can tell the sunroof gears seem to strip easy (sacrificial piece like a garage door motor I think) but you can only buy the entire assembly new, which is too much. I'm probably gonna see what I can find in a junkyard and find somebody that does custom plastic work or something to make some sturdier ones, as mine didn't work when I got it. It would be awful nice to have an overdrive or a 6th gear on the thing, though. It's comfy at 55, but just a hair into buzzy territory at 65mph. Sheds wind almost too well. You can have a conversation at that speed with the windows down, but don't expect much breeze to get in unless you stick your arm out for it. That's why a sunroof to draft the heat out would be nice.

I'll report back after I get some more miles on it, but I'm pleased so far for the money. 1200 bucks and it starts, stops, etc.
The more I find out, the more it looks like a major job. Basically the whole dash and centre console needs to come out. It may end up being a job I tackle myself as the labour cost, if I find someone willing to do it, will be astronomical. I think a manual should be my next purchase.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:56 AM   #18
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,644
Didn't the supra replace the celicas in 86 or so for a few years? In fact, the first supra IIRC was a celica with an inline 6, in 86. I drove an 88 turbo for a couple years,nice car but the bmw m3 6 cylinder made just as much power without a turbo. The supra i had weighed as much as my 67 GTO, 3600 lb so not a lightweight car.

The 86-to late 90s supras always go for big coin for some reason Should kept mine for a couple years.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #19
Lesharoturbo
Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2 View Post
Didn't the supra replace the celicas in 86 or so for a few years? In fact, the first supra IIRC was a celica with an inline 6, in 86. I drove an 88 turbo for a couple years,nice car but the bmw m3 6 cylinder made just as much power without a turbo. The supra i had weighed as much as my 67 GTO, 3600 lb so not a lightweight car.

The 86-to late 90s supras always go for big coin for some reason Should kept mine for a couple years.

The Supra was a trim line of the Celica. The first model was a Celica Supra with the main difference being a 6 cylinder engine in 81 or 82. They were made side by side until the death of the Supra, and now the Celica.

The FR-S should have been a Celica.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #20
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,277
I never owned one, but I did envy the few guys I knew who did. One had the hatchback, the other the sedan. Both were abused and lasted for a long time.

By the time I could have bought one, they had bloated up into a $40K sports car, and sadly, too rich for my blood. Oh well.

Toyota aught to bring it back as a semi-sporty hybrid - 22RT motor with hybrid boost?

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #21
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,142
In 96 I picked up a nice clean 85 GT hatchback with about 140,000 mi. It was a solid, but Unexciting drive. It looked great though.
They say cars only depreciate, but this one was different. I paid $1300, spent a few Hun on timing chain guides, and a couple of other little things, and five months into it somebody waved a $3500 bill at me.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #22
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
Toyotacelicas.com is the one I joined, but I'm not sure how reliable it is in the technical area. The ratio of dumb kids to intelligent technicians is much different when there's 4 wheels, it seems, especially in a Jap import.

The average age of the owner of one of those today is about your age.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #23
assquatch20 OP
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
The average age of the owner of one of those today is about your age.
Then we need to do something about people my age, huh?
Old 10-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #24
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,508
I have liked most of the Celicas produced and saw this thread and thought, kewl, Celica pics, but not till those rally ones - you guys are slacking!

Anyway, I built a Tamiay scale model of one of the rallye celicas, with the castrol colors - yeah, it came out ok but not great.... collecting dust - wife likes it though...

post more pics!
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #25
assquatch20 OP
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
I have liked most of the Celicas produced and saw this thread and thought, kewl, Celica pics, but not till those rally ones - you guys are slacking!

Anyway, I built a Tamiay scale model of one of the rallye celicas, with the castrol colors - yeah, it came out ok but not great.... collecting dust - wife likes it though...

post more pics!
It ain't pretty, trust me. And something that gets me is the ride height. I'm not a tall dude, but I have to fall down to get in and climb out.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:53 AM   #26
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesharoturbo View Post
The Supra was a trim line of the Celica. The first model was a Celica Supra with the main difference being a 6 cylinder engine in 81 or 82. They were made side by side until the death of the Supra, and now the Celica.

The FR-S should have been a Celica.
The first year of Supra that wasn't the same as the Celica was 1986.5.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:37 AM   #27
lethe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,312
Got my wife a 2001 GT in 2002 and had it for a few years
I thought it might be mainly marketing that it claimed to be 15 more horsepower than the same engine in the Corolla until the first time underneath for an oil change. Nice large diameter exhaust the whole way and also a significantly different intake. It was a fun little car and phenomenal in the snow with snow tires on it, only limitation then was ground clearance. Not necessarily fast but also wouldn't call it slow and it could really make up time on the back roads.
lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:16 AM   #28
Shadow10
Studly Adventurer

Brought my "new" 1993 Celica home tonight.

I forgot how good these cars are. Very smooth, sweet handling, nice to drive, loads of torque and definitely no slouch.

All this even by modern standards.

I will post some pics when I have given it a good once over. Its not quite looking as good as it can.

I have a very dodgy lower back, so I think I will be looking for an orthopedic seat from Recaro.

After that it will be a sweet, sweet ride!
Old 10-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #29
MotoChris521
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
My first "car" was a silver '75 GT coupe. I wish I could find another one.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #30
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
The first year of Supra that wasn't the same as the Celica was 1986.5.
The Celica became a FWD car and soon after the 86.5 Supra came out, the Supras went more into super car territory and the Celica eventually became a hairdressers car.

I disagree that the Scion FR-S should be called the Celica, the new FR-S is a pure RWD sports car which the last time a Celica was RWD was over 25rys ago! Even though it's roots were as a RWD sports car, it spent more time as a sporty FWD (save the all-tracs) sporty coupe. And it definitely doesn't deserve to be called a Supra either since it's only a 4cyl.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: