Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #16
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik01 View Post

- what kinda bike should I get?

- I'm a exchange student, so I'm on a budget regarding buying a bike. So any clues where to look for a solid bike there can last the trip and not exceed 1.200$ ?

- how cheap is an insurance ?
Get whatever YOU feel comfortable on! Dont listen to anyone about any of it - find something that fits YOU. Doesnt matter what it is.....as long as its safe I suppose.
I would recommend something like a standard especially for your price range, you might find that doesn't feel right. A cruiser/dirtbike/etc might be better for you (however.... I can't say that I recommend that.... )
Along those lines I would say trying to find a decent CB750 might be a good place to start. If you like dirtbikes, you could try to find an XR650L or maybe a DR650.

and the insurance depends on your age. If you're older than 26 it will be much lower. You only need Liability coverage by law and that's pretty cheap. I pay $300 a year on 6 bikes.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #17
SxyRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Thx, honestly I was hoping to buy used gear as well, to save a few bucks there also.
when doing a tour cross country, is it the possible to have a regular backpack on your back also?
Used gear is fine... except helmets. It's my personal opinion, I'm just paranoid like that and will not buy a used helmet. There are plenty of good/safe helmets on the market for cheap.

You may find that a backpack is not good for long distances. If it's packed full/heavy, it can be tiresome and can actually restrict your movements somewhat. Plus there's the whole argument about having something strapped to your spine in the event of a get-off. You don't have to spend a lot on luggage. You can strap any bag to the back seat. The concern would be to make sure it's water resistant to protect the contents in the event you get caught in the rain. Plastic bags work. Put all of your stuff inside plastic bags and put them into a backpack or duffel and bungee net it to the back seat.
SxyRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #18
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,166
What side of the street do you ride on?

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #19
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
That Molly, but unfortunately I'm not allowed to leave the states during my trip :(
If I do, they won't let me back in haha

Yes, my instructor was very clear about that, that for the reminder. I went there yesterday, so now all I need to do is to wait for the new one in the mail

As for rain gear, will a normal rain coat and pants be enough if its pulled over the regular riding gear?

I luckily already have boots, and possible also helmet and gloves :)

Any thoughts about the bikes I've been looking at?

http://martinsburg.craigslist.org/mcy/3260173498.html

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...299756813.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_553wt_1165
That 185 is really small. 750 Vulcan looks good, but it's a little on the heavy side. Thought about an EX500 Kawasaki or GS500E Suzuki? Also a 454 Ltd Kawasaki. Honda Nighthawk 450 would work well.
Honda also made a CM400 that would do the cross-country thing quite well also.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #20
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,433
All you need to travel the world cheaply on a motorcycle is a KLR and a milk crate.

I leave in 3 days for a fly and ride from Richmond Virginia to New Mexico. I just received my motorcycle operators license. I have purchased a used jacket, GPS, used Wolfman soft bags, refurbished my camping gear and have been preparing for this trip for about one month. I am buying a KLR for less than $3K. I will have $1000 invested in this trip including buying gear that I will need. Flight, motel room insurance, etc. I will camp most of the time. I plan to be gone 3 to 4 weeks. I have no routes determined.

Good luck, get a DR650, XR650 or a KLR 650 and pack it up and go. Also check the tent space thread for options to stay with someone.

Ateam

Pic of bike soon to be mine.

Do a ride report, for sure. here is a response to a ride report thread from me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
My ride report will be written for my pleasure. I have written a few reports from a trip to Alaska with my parents and nephew in 2005 and my Dad's last run as a locomotive engineer on the CSX railroad. I have personal reasons to make this trip that starts in one week tomorrow. My ride report will share my thoughts, my feelings, my perspective of life on the road and a KLR, as a total newbie - first road trip deal. I want feedback and comments. I want readers to relate, to feel the road, the weather, the emotions and I hope you will know my bike as well as I do. I want you to hear the whine, feel the thermoclines, the ruts and the people I meet and share life with. If I do well, then my mission will be a success. If not, then ADV'ers will flame away. Got to be gusty to write to an unknown audience.

I'm not sure if I will even tell my friends that I'm writing a report. The work will be for the ADV audience, my target is my ADV brothers and sisters. We shall see how it goes. I mailed my boots, helmet and tools today to the current owner in Virginia. I have my large bag packed minus basic clothes, 41 pounds now. I have plane tickets, maps, a GPS. My 25 year old + MSR Firefly finally got going tonight with 20 year old fuel and an initial flame out, emergency response and fire abatement activities followed on my work bench in the garage. Then I got it sorted out on the concrete and let it burn for 20 minutes with only one pumping about half way. Friggin' amazing as well as my Eureka Timberline tent. So I am getting close, I have lists, I have ordered too much gear. But I'm rampin' up and getting stoked.

Ateam
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...596215&page=13

Another post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
I plan to head west-NW out the Waynesboro - Charlottesville area and take highway 33 or 39 across the Blue Ridge mountains. I will ultimately head toward the Greenbank, Snowshoe and New River Bridge area and then make my way across to the KY/WVA/Ohio area. Thinking of camping up in the mountainslike Bull Pasture, elevations in the +3K range. But then it could be raining, cold and miserable? So the no plan plan may be best. Camping on or very near the WVA side or not. Not sure how late of a start I will get out of Waynesboro. Would like to have some good camping options, scenic and should not be crowded on a Wednesday evening. No after dark riding the first day. I keep telling myself that you don't know what you are doing.

So how long ago was it that rode trials in NM? I have been a NMTA member for 15 years. We have a 2 day event in Roswell this weekend but I have to work.
AteamNM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:54 AM   #21
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by SxyRdr View Post
Used gear is fine... except helmets. It's my personal opinion, I'm just paranoid like that and will not buy a used helmet. There are plenty of good/safe helmets on the market for cheap.

You may find that a backpack is not good for long distances. If it's packed full/heavy, it can be tiresome and can actually restrict your movements somewhat. Plus there's the whole argument about having something strapped to your spine in the event of a get-off. You don't have to spend a lot on luggage. You can strap any bag to the back seat. The concern would be to make sure it's water resistant to protect the contents in the event you get caught in the rain. Plastic bags work. Put all of your stuff inside plastic bags and put them into a backpack or duffel and bungee net it to the back seat.
FYI, a backpack 'works' if it has a belly band and if you can lengthen the straps so it sits on the seat behind. If you have a spill, roll so you land on your back. (tested, a 1" hole in the backpack and the frypan got a 1" polished sections).

Works well on smaller bikes at least, a crotch rocket at 100mph - probably not ...

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:05 AM   #22
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,792
I agree that the 185 is probably too small - It's also old and probably over-priced for what it is because it's "collectible". A 250cc Nighthawk could probably be found cheaper and would be newer and more capable but the 250cc Ninja mentioned by others is a much better choice. The 750 Vulcan could be ok or could be trouble - you probably wouldn't know until you tried to put 300 or 400 miles on it at interstate speeds (although in the $1000 range, the same might be said of anything). Bikes I might consider would include the previously mentioned Suzuki EX500 or GS500. The KLR650 or DR650 would be good choices if you can find a decent one in your price range, which might be difficult. Other similar-sized machines that might work if you can find one cheap enough include the Suzuki sv650 and BMW Funduro 650. I'm sure I've forgotten a few other worthy middleweights. An old CX500 or CX650 in reasonable condition might be a fair choice too - the Silverwing model would have touring equipment.

In the larger touring bike range, you might get lucky and come across a 600-800cc airhead BMW in your budget. Most come with luggage or it would be easy to find (and save you carrying a backpack). If you are up to it, older Goldwings can be had pretty cheaply and would come with fairing and luggage. If you get one that has been in regular use it could easily last for tens of thousands of trouble-free miles. They are big, heavy bikes, however and difficult to work on if they do go wrong. Many have been sat for years and should be avoided.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote