ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 04:13 AM   #21676
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!
 
Madhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Cantonment Florida
Oddometer: 3,139
Mississippi Hill Country ride this winter.

I went along with Robdirt and Nanohicup a couple years ago. Wasn't blown away with the route because of so much recent pavement but still had a good time and was glad I went.

Seems Sam Carraro has changed it up a bit since then and I'd like to give it a go again.
He's created 3 trips. The Trans American Trail. Shadow of the Rocky's and Mississippi Hill Country.

http://www.transamtrail.com/

If anybody else is interested, let it be known. I'll order the north/south routes (507 miles total) and we'll figure out a date to do it sometime in the future.

__________________
Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:48 AM   #21677
Vico1
The Maestro
 
Vico1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Ft Walton Beach FL
Oddometer: 5,669
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore774 View Post
Penton Owners Group? I've done my share of lurking there. Vast amounts of info and knowledge there.
I'm almost done with a '72 JackPiner 175, then my '73 Six-Days is next. Just finished a '83 KDX200 to go
with my '80 KDX175. Wayne came over this afternoon to give me his approval on everything. Such a nice guy.
I did make sure he didn't get out of my sight so no violations could occur to any of my bikes or pets.
John,

Sorry about the name change!

The POG is Panhandle Old Guys...

Althought I will have a look at the Penton Owners Group (are they ADV?)

I had a 100cc when they first came out (green and white steel tank) and then some years later I had a 250 Penton (red and white wiht KTM fanhead)...

Long since gone....
__________________
KTM 500 EXC Yellow Vee Black DR650
A few others in the past

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:33 AM   #21678
Rob Dirt
More or less in line
 
Rob Dirt's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Mobile
Oddometer: 2,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse View Post
I went along with Robdirt and Nanohicup a couple years ago. Wasn't blown away with the route because of so much recent pavement but still had a good time and was glad I went.

Seems Sam Carraro has changed it up a bit since then and I'd like to give it a go again.
He's created 3 trips. The Trans American Trail. Shadow of the Rocky's and Mississippi Hill Country.

http://www.transamtrail.com/

If anybody else is interested, let it be known. I'll order the north/south routes (507 miles total) and we'll figure out a date to do it sometime in the future.


Does he give updated maps to people that already paid? When are you thinking about riding the MHC?
__________________
Heart of Dixie
Rob Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #21679
jmoore774
VOR - Black Beauties
 
jmoore774's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Gonzalez, Florida
Oddometer: 34
Pog

Panhandle Old Guys ...... I guess I qualify for that one too.
Penton Owners Group have their own site http://www.pentonusa.org/
Check it out, it's cool. It's good to know the history of John Penton and how he got Penton motorcycles started in the U.S., and for current KTM riders to know their heritage.
jmoore774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #21680
Barney
I reckon so
 
Barney's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse View Post
I went along with Robdirt and Nanohicup a couple years ago. Wasn't blown away with the route because of so much recent pavement but still had a good time and was glad I went.

Seems Sam Carraro has changed it up a bit since then and I'd like to give it a go again.
He's created 3 trips. The Trans American Trail. Shadow of the Rocky's and Mississippi Hill Country.

http://www.transamtrail.com/

If anybody else is interested, let it be known. I'll order the north/south routes (507 miles total) and we'll figure out a date to do it sometime in the future.

I'm interested.

Also thinking about riding half the TAT next year.
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #21681
cpg7562
just me..
 
cpg7562's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Pace, Fl - USA
Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse View Post
I went along with Robdirt and Nanohicup a couple years ago. Wasn't blown away with the route because of so much recent pavement but still had a good time and was glad I went.

Seems Sam Carraro has changed it up a bit since then and I'd like to give it a go again.
He's created 3 trips. The Trans American Trail. Shadow of the Rocky's and Mississippi Hill Country.

http://www.transamtrail.com/

If anybody else is interested, let it be known. I'll order the north/south routes (507 miles total) and we'll figure out a date to do it sometime in the future.

I bought his Mississippi hill country maps a while back. Looks like good stuff just need to find a long weekend to go up. It's all north of Jackson ms. He sets it up for a 2 day trip if I remember the way he has it laid out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Chris
'10 KTM 690 R

My Spot
cpg7562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #21682
cpg7562
just me..
 
cpg7562's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Pace, Fl - USA
Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg7562 View Post
I bought his Mississippi hill country maps a while back. Looks like good stuff just need to find a long weekend to go up. It's all north of Jackson ms. He sets it up for a 2 day trip if I remember the way he has it laid out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also the narrow roll chart holder would be super handy to use his charts. Can do it off GPS but the charts are easy to use too the way he has them setup


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Chris
'10 KTM 690 R

My Spot
cpg7562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #21683
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!
 
Madhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Cantonment Florida
Oddometer: 3,139
Yep, got roll chart and got gps.
All I lack is knowledge.


OK then, there's some interest.
Good!

I'll order the stuff from Sam and we'll get this show on the road.

We'll talk dates soon.
__________________
Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #21684
SingleTrackJeff
Lurker and Hangaround
 
SingleTrackJeff's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Pensacola, Fl.
Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore774 View Post
Panhandle Old Guys ...... I guess I qualify for that one too.
Penton Owners Group have their own site http://www.pentonusa.org/
Check it out, it's cool. It's good to know the history of John Penton and how he got Penton motorcycles started in the U.S., and for current KTM riders to know their heritage.
Found these links on the other POG aka Penton Owners Group

http://vimeo.com/49236480

http://vimeo.com/49236479

http://www.indiegogo.com/dirtyoldtimes?c=gallery


Looks like a cool movie if it ever gets out.

My first enduro bike was a 1971 125cc six days steel tank Penton. I still have some of that bike laying around.
SingleTrackJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #21685
Vico1
The Maestro
 
Vico1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Ft Walton Beach FL
Oddometer: 5,669
Father Son Fall Outing

Phil and I are departing on our second annual Father Son Fall Beast Ride. Up to the Smoky's and Deals Gap etc for a few days.

We are Tail Virgins but looking forward to checking off the square.

I know Inept is lonewolfing it across Northern GA. Barney and WR are planning something and of course next weekend it is the Vintage days....

Everyone ride safe and post up pics...
__________________
KTM 500 EXC Yellow Vee Black DR650
A few others in the past

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #21686
Vico1
The Maestro
 
Vico1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Ft Walton Beach FL
Oddometer: 5,669
Old stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleTrackJeff View Post
Found these links on the other POG aka Penton Owners Group

http://vimeo.com/49236480

http://vimeo.com/49236479

http://www.indiegogo.com/dirtyoldtimes?c=gallery


Looks like a cool movie if it ever gets out.

My first enduro bike was a 1971 125cc six days steel tank Penton. I still have some of that bike laying around.
Great stuff.

I will be showing old movies "similar" to these at the Trot...
__________________
KTM 500 EXC Yellow Vee Black DR650
A few others in the past

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #21687
Woods Rider
X-Crazed Racing Fool
 
Woods Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Navarre, FL
Oddometer: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
Phil and I are departing on our second annual Father Son Fall Beast Ride. Up to the Smoky's and Deals Gap etc for a few days.

We are Tail Virgins but looking forward to checking off the square.

I know Inept is lonewolfing it across Northern GA. Barney and WR are planning something and of course next weekend it is the Vintage days....

Everyone ride safe and post up pics...

You guys have a safe trip and don't miss the Cherahola Skyway and Teleco Outfitters. Barney and I are leaving for the TETS on Monday and will be in the mountains on our dirtbikes.......can you say sore ass?! Im sure between the two of us we will post some reports from the road.
__________________
2009 530 EXC - Dualsport Rocket Ship
2004 DL1000 VStrom - For the road

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the window of a car!
Woods Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #21688
forrestrider
Dont Do Stupid Shit..
 
forrestrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Foley . Al
Oddometer: 1,734
Well tired of messing with the 990 and takeing it in the AM to KTMWorld.
forrestrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #21689
cpg7562
just me..
 
cpg7562's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Pace, Fl - USA
Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
Phil and I are departing on our second annual Father Son Fall Beast Ride. Up to the Smoky's and Deals Gap etc for a few days.

We are Tail Virgins but looking forward to checking off the square.

I know Inept is lonewolfing it across Northern GA. Barney and WR are planning something and of course next weekend it is the Vintage days....

Everyone ride safe and post up pics...
When ya headed up? I drove the tail today! Not on a bike though :( in a jeep. Check my spot in my sig. I'm staying at Fontana village for the weekend there is a BMW rally group of folks up here too. Talked to a guy on a 950 Adv today, he was the only orange in the area I saw. Might see you guys around. Be safe!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Chris
'10 KTM 690 R

My Spot
cpg7562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:51 AM   #21690
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!
 
Madhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Cantonment Florida
Oddometer: 3,139
Franchise Opportunity


A British Engineer just started his own business in Afghanistan. He's making land mines that look like prayer mats.



It's doing well. Business is booming and he says prophets are going through the roof.
__________________
Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014