User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 8,010
Battlax tire ripple

A friend called me to ask if I'd look at his Concours 14. He had new Battlax tires put on 1000 miles ago and he said the front had begun to feel vague in corners. He's a commuter so when I saw the tire was a little squared off on the center it didn't surprise me, although with 1000 miles on it it seemed premature. What did surprise me was the ripples along the edge of the squared off section...it's not really cupping, more like worms just under the surface of the tire. I checked all the front suspension stuff, tire pressures (38 front 42 rear) and then rode the bike. Sure enough, in a corner at certain lean angles I could feel the nose get loose feeling. A little throttle would stand the bike up just enough to make it go away, but it was back at each corner at normal 20-30 mph speeds. We tried to photograph it, but it's difficult to see...easy to feel with your hand though.

So has anyone seen something like this and any thoughts as to if it's normal or not? My Tourance on the front of my GS has 9K on it and has no cupping or ripples so we're kind of surprised at this with the Battlax.

Thanks

Note.....I did find some photos showing scalloping that look very similar to the pattern we're seeing.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><

biggziff screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 07:54 AM
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
A friend called me to ask if I'd look at his Concours 14. He had new Battlax tires put on 1000 miles ago and he said the front had begun to feel vague in corners. He's a commuter so when I saw the tire was a little squared off on the center it didn't surprise me, although with 1000 miles on it it seemed premature. What did surprise me was the ripples along the edge of the squared off section...it's not really cupping, more like worms just under the surface of the tire. I checked all the front suspension stuff, tire pressures (38 front 42 rear) and then rode the bike. Sure enough, in a corner at certain lean angles I could feel the nose get loose feeling. A little throttle would stand the bike up just enough to make it go away, but it was back at each corner at normal 20-30 mph speeds. We tried to photograph it, but it's difficult to see...easy to feel with your hand though.

So has anyone seen something like this and any thoughts as to if it's normal or not? My Tourance on the front of my GS has 9K on it and has no cupping or ripples so we're kind of surprised at this with the Battlax.

Thanks

Note.....I did find some photos showing scalloping that look very similar to the pattern we're seeing.
I change a lot of tires on many different type bikes, and often see odd wear patterns. It
appears to depend as much on what bike the tire is on as it does the particular tire.
You mention Tourance; I see many of them that are badly cupped on some bikes, but
not on others. Perhaps the Concours just does not "bond" well with that particular tire (?)
There have been numerous discussions about front end condition, tire balance/pressure/etc
and how they may affect tire wear patterns, but many bikes in like-new condition exhibit
the same problem. I do see that tire pressure is critical, and when a particular wear pattern
starts, no changes will stop it's progress....
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
dirtrulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
I ran a set of battleaxe tires on my supermoto and they were the worst tires I have ever run. Didnt last 1500 miles, and that is on a light bike, cant imagine how fast they would wear on a heavy bike. My front tire did the same thing.
dirtrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:37 AM   #4
EVLED
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Correct pressures are 42/42. And Bridgestones don't work on the Connie. PR2's or 3's are the go (I prefer the 2's).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...EhGM3JDN1NmdGc
EVLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #5
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrulz View Post
I ran a set of battleaxe tires on my supermoto and they were the worst tires I have ever run. Didnt last 1500 miles, and that is on a light bike, cant imagine how fast they would wear on a heavy bike. My front tire did the same thing.

There are something like 18 different Bridgestone "Battleaxe" tires made. Some work
just fine on particular bikes, some don't. Which is the reason there are so many types...
Some are of a very soft compound with super grip, but a very short life should be expected.

So saying "Battleaxe" tires don't work, is like saying you don't like the weather....
Which weather, and under what circumstances?

http://www.bridgestone.com/products/...ory/index.html
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #6
truebeliever71
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hey. I'm the friend of Biggziff's with the tire problem. Thank to everyone to for their input. The tire is the Battlax BT023 which from my research gets decent ratings. Yesterday I called both Bridgestone and the vendor where I purchased the tires. Bridgestone told me to run it over inflated by a couple pounds to see if the helped with handling, if not then I have to contact the vendor for a warranty replacement. I did call the vendor and they said I would have to unmount the tire and send it back to them for inspection and they may replace under warranty.

I did over inflate it to 43 pounds and it did ride/grip much better today.
truebeliever71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
chorizo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Ive had a couple of BA's on the front and all of them cupped bad. I got about 3k on each.
My buddy says I brake too hard?
chorizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,097
Every motorcycle I've ever ridden scallops the front tire. Braking forces, I think. I replace 'em when the low end of the scallop is even with the bottom of the tread groove...

Of course, I typically wear my front tires out before the rear. I spend a LOT of time on twisty roads

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote