Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #69811
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,350
I just lowered the price on the Mikuni TM40 in the FM section, its a deal on a great DR650 improvement, i know i will regret it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post19739712
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #69812
Paddle007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
That filling in the CDI box reminds me off the Ford modules from the mid 70s to the 80s. I have seen many of those that were so hot it dripped down the inner fender. Never seemed to bother them.
Paddle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #69813
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaped View Post
It is the same process as tightening any multi fastener item. Loosen all bolts, tighten one slightly then tighten the one across from the first one, then slightly tighten the next loose one slightly and the one across from that. Then start over the process by tightening with greater force untill all are tighten up to specification.

PS: Don't break off the bolts! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
please explain that more in detail, step by step with the proper torque specs, if you have all that info. that would also be good for krusty's DR index.
As noted in above post. In A&P school we learned to do criss cross or star patterns on most assemblies, and doing 3 stages of tightening to ensure
even pressure and alignment. No idea if Suzuki provide more detail on this. I've never seen any specifics ... just following standard practices.

One thing to add: Once everything is loose ... make certain motor is fully seated correctly and not hung up anywhere. Basically, just wiggle it around a bit and look at motor mounts to see if all looks OK. Then tighten back up. Look specifically for cracked mounts, bolts or frame bosses.

The more I read, more I feel its a counter balancer issue. But just a guess.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:04 AM   #69814
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac004 View Post
I have a 2006 DR650 with the Intimidators up front and the Cogent rear shock, with around 12k miles. Back around 6-7k miles when I was on the middle of the Great Divide Ride, I noticed that my forks did not seem as smooth and plush in their sliding action. A few months ago I serviced the fork with new seals and 5wt Maxima fork oil (as recommended by Ricor) thinking it might help. No luck. Over the last few months I have been playing around A LOT with fork alignment, attempting to get the forks at the same height in the triple clamps, keeping the triple bolt clams just snug for the fitup. I snugged the axle bolt down while trying all sorts of combinations of keeping the spacer, speed gear, and brake caliper off the bike so the right leg can properly align to be parallel with the left leg. I read a ton of posts on how to align the forks properly. No luck.

Basically, what I am feeling is a binding/stiction sensation as I compress the fork legs slowly. If I push down hard and fast, it seems to rebound like it is supposed to, at least on the initial quick motion up. But if I push down slowly, I have to pull up on the bars a little to get the bike to rise back up to the normal ride height. It will not easily return to normal ride height unless I pull up and "assist" the bike through the last of its rebound.

When I take the fork tubes out of the clamps and push down on them individually against the ground, they feel smooth and plush, no hang up or binding at all. It's only after I install them in the triple clamps that it feels tight. Any ideas on the triple clamps going bad or out of alignment. The only idea I have for the next course of action is to try another set of triple clamps, in case they are out of alignment.
Ok, per the suggestion of inmates here I did verify a few things:
-With the front axle clamp loosened (and the axle tight), I still experience the same stiffness.
-I purchased a Motion Pro Fork Alignment Gauge, which verifies that the forks are parallel when measured below the fender and just above the brake rotor.

I also noticed today a strange noise today, which I recorded. The noise sounds like a clunking during each compression/rebound. The "stiction"/drag I am feeling may be more related to damping then actual friction...kind of hard to explain.

Watch the video and let me know what you think. Notice the noise, and how I have to pull the bike up and "aid" it on its rebound to return to a somewhat normal ride height.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI5ZEIfTJ_g

I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the Ricor Intimidators, be it product flaw or operator error.
isaac004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:34 AM   #69815
Jammin
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Weird! But apparently normal.
This is the CDI on my 1999:
That is weird but at least good to know it's "normal"

I can't imagine Suzuki made all of these CDIs like that. There must be some design function for that then, right? Maybe cooling off the capacitor...

Ok, now for testing a CDI from a late model DR in an old DR. Jeff, do you have access to a 2006 or thereabouts CDI?

I was told by a mechanic in South Africa that Suzuki introduced a sort of anti-theft feature (to prevent hot wiring) on the DR by changing the resistance in the ignition switch over the model years so that a CDI from a late model couldn't be put into an old DR. Im not sure how true this info is. If it is true, I need to figure out what resistance the 2006 CDI needs and figure out a way to mod my ignition switch to match that.

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:23 AM   #69816
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Setting: 2 up with a top case, on a really curvy back road in my area, my friend on his 2008 R6. He couldnt believe that the mighty DR was able to handle the curves and keep up with him through it all! Granted he is riding a year less than me, but has almost double the miles...Gotta love the Doctor!
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #69817
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the Ricor Intimidators, be it product flaw or operator error.
Is it possible that the Intiminators were installed upside down? It looks like the way they are supposed to work, only backwards.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #69818
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
Is it possible that the Intiminators were installed upside down? It looks like the way they are supposed to work, only backwards.
That is possible. I install them in the orientation you see here, with the nut side pointing up to the sky. I did this because it is how the Gold Line Emulators are installed.

I did buy this bike with Ricor's second hand, so I do not have the instructions. Can someone verify if this is the right orientation, and/or provide a copy of the instructions?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #69819
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
Ok, now for testing a CDI from a late model DR in an old DR. Jeff, do you have access to a 2006 or thereabouts CDI?

I was told by a mechanic in South Africa that Suzuki introduced a sort of anti-theft feature (to prevent hot wiring) on the DR by changing the resistance in the ignition switch over the model years so that a CDI from a late model couldn't be put into an old DR. Im not sure how true this info is. If it is true, I need to figure out what resistance the 2006 CDI needs and figure out a way to mod my ignition switch to match that.
Suzuki calls for the same CDI part number from 1998 to current. 96 and 97 are a different part number but I don't know exactly what the difference is.

The anti-theft resistor is in the key switch which is also the same for 1998 to current with 96 and 97 being different. That makes me think that your SA mechanic is correct but it would only apply to 96 and 97 bikes. I couldn't find any mention of what year your bike is.

HERE are instructions for eliminating the factory key switch and replacing it with a simple on/off switch. Details for wiring in a separate resistor can be found there.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #69820
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
I have the instruction at home, but yes they slide in "bolt side up" and add about 1/2 inch to preload.

With the Intiminator you must use 5W fork oil.

There is a good thread here on adv rider with pictures on the installation procedures.

Quote:
That is possible. I install them in the orientation you see here, with the nut side pointing up to the sky. I did this because it is how the Gold Line Emulators are installed.

I did buy this bike with Ricor's second hand, so I do not have the instructions. Can someone verify if this is the right orientation, and/or provide a copy of the instructions?

DR650 - Living the Dream!
Escaped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #69821
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Here you go

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468588

Quote:

DR650 - Living the Dream!
Escaped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #69822
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:

That should be correct. Since no modifications are necessary to install them, you should be able to just pop them out too, and see if the issue resolves itself. Could be that one is bad. They should keep the front end from compressing while pushing on the handlebars, not from rebounding.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #69823
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Thanks all for posting and verifying the correct orientation of the Intiminators. I did install them in the correct position, so I am still puzzled and confused on why my fork is making the sounds that it makes, and moves slowly.

I think at this point I just need to disassemble it again and inspect.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #69824
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Thanks all for posting and verifying the correct orientation of the Intiminators. I did install them in the correct position, so I am still puzzled and confused on why my fork is making the sounds that it makes, and moves slowly.

I don t have a noise, but have the same issue with my forks. When I start to brake for a light, my forks move quickly through the first 2 inches, then slow. When I stop, they don't spring back until I start to throttle up and take off. Strange issue, not sure where to start so I'm just "observing" for now lol
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #69825
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:

Sounds to me like there isn't any preload on the spring. Maybe hearing it rattle inside? Which would also make the fork rebound slowly. Just a thought.
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote