ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Will you buy the new KTM 1190?
1190R - Hell yeah, and I'm going to make it bigger, better and badder! 75 18.07%
1190 - Yup, been waiting for this one. 150hp and 17/19s will KILL! 60 14.46%
Multistrada - I've gone/going for better street performance/electronics 5 1.20%
BMW GS - I like big heavy bikes - Go Charlie! Go Ewan! 9 2.17%
NO! I'm keeping my 950/990 forever (along with my typewriter, corded phone, film camera...) 196 47.23%
Really? We need a poll about this? 70 16.87%
Voters: 415. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #16
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,286
1190 ? when I first read that I thought it was going to be about a new Buell........darn it's not.
Wolfgang55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #17
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,370
You can't edit the poll - or rather I can't edit a poll, so I've emailed admin to add the option of the mythical 800/700 v-twin to the poll. Not sure how long that would take but if it happens soon the numbers will even out.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #18
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
1190 ? when I first read that I thought it was going to be about a new Buell........darn it's not.

It might as well be about a new Uly.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #19
petesonhisway
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster View Post
I could not have said it better.

Let's take a bike that has attitude and character that has been fighting the blah out of Germany and make it look more blah...

Pass..
What he said.
petesonhisway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #20
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Gotta say, I expected the votes for the "Really? We need a poll about this" which is why I added it but I honestly underestimated the number of guys that are disappointed and would rather keep their 990's Really, truly didn't expect that.

G
Old 10-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #21
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
This bike should appeal to the folks who spend so much effort trying to make their 950/990 more resemble a BMW.
+1
The ones without trailers.....
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #22
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
Gotta say, I expected the votes for the "Really? We need a poll about this" which is why I added it but I honestly underestimated the number of guys that are disappointed and would rather keep their 990's Really, truly didn't expect that. G
And you read it here, so it must be true
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #23
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,672
Looks like Suzuki might beat them to the punch!

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...1000-revealed/

Or is that a rebranded KTM??? Hard to tell anymore!
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #24
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
This bike should appeal to the folks who spend so much effort trying to make their 950/990 more resemble a BMW.

Iíve only got a one horse stable...so...Iíve booked a test ride....Donít think the SE will be going anywhere soon.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #25
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Looks like Suzuki might beat them to the punch!

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...1000-revealed/

Or is that a rebranded KTM??? Hard to tell anymore!

Seriously.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #26
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,069
I reviewed the 100,000 mile thread, think I'll pas on the special edition MultiGSTenre' by KTM.

dlrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #27
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,310
Quote:
Gotta say, I expected the votes for the "Really? We need a poll about this" which is why I added it but I honestly underestimated the number of guys that are disappointed and would rather keep their 990's Really, truly didn't expect that.

G
Just had a look at your website and am seriously gobsmacked at your skill behind the lens.

But, it makes it all the more surprising then, that someone with such a fabulous eye is so surprised at the poll results. I should have put money on that. Got to research this ADVRider Bookie shit.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #28
NKL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
I understand KTM had a gap in their line up ( an Adventure bike for comfortable two up riding on mainly street) but I don't understand it replacing the 990. I think the 990 should have run alongside this new one.
I certainly wont be buying it, I'm waiting for a manufacturer to make a lighter 700 ish twin similar to the 990, I just hope it's KTM that do it.
Oh, and I certainly don't need 150HP.

NKL screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 11:25 AM
NKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #29
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,023
Wink Wow- a 950 Adventure is hereby demoted to "Dinosaur" status?

Quote:
Gotta say... ...I honestly underestimated the number of guys that are disappointed and would rather keep their 950's Really, truly didn't expect that
fixed.

Marketplace does make manufacturers respond by chasing the 'mythical' customer with whatever they think we want.

makes me think of the GS guys I've met that think the 1100 was the best of the model to have... and how BMW just kept taking things further while adding weight, complexity and reliability issues (instead of addressing them)

And just where do they get their market data? At a rally? Hell most of us are too busy riding to attend a rally 'Sides who wants to hang out with a bunch of people like yourself or worse people who aren't like you & don't want to ride- just talk about the latest "farkle" (I hate that word) & which year bike weighed how much more or less than another

Few of us come close to using what we have- and any LC8 offers A LOT more to grow into

here's a customer Suzuki will never interview:
Got out of the truck at a rest area last week & saw a 2010 1000 'strom parked nearby. When the guy returned he mentioned he had 135,000 miles on his obviously well-traveled, dirty bike. He had modified it himself- some of it wood & simple household objects. When I asked him his Inmate name he looked puzzled. Advrider? Nope, haven't heard of it. As I explained the vast wealth of FAQ, Mods, Ride Reports, Pictures, etc our forums offered he told me he doesn't even own a computer. Why? I asked-

"saves money for tires & gas..."
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #30
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGoLucky View Post
Just had a look at your website and am seriously gobsmacked at your skill behind the lens.

But, it makes it all the more surprising then, that someone with such a fabulous eye is so surprised at the poll results. I should have put money on that. Got to research this ADVRider Bookie shit.
Thanks.

I guess I figured that an upgraded engine was more important than the reduced suspension (which, let's be honest, they've been reducing ever since 04). I also underestimated the affection for the look. I'll admit that the 950/990 is extremely original and beautiful and that the 1190 is not (in photos so far) but I didn't think people here were as into that aspect. I mean all the adventure bikes are ugly compared to an MV or Ducati. Is the bike everyone is pining for the Dakar LC8?

The funny thing is that it's always Kiska - that's the independent but joined at the hip design/advertising agency that has been designing all the bikes (and all the ads, and all the photography) forever. They made the RC8 which is just a wild styling exercise so I'll admit that I'm disappointed that Kiska didn't make a statement out of the 1190 since it's so important. The 1190, it seems, is playing it safe stylistically.

G