Great report Kath, hope to hear more of your adventures

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger Hammer
Trotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #32
Chris Wils
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Hello Kath
Followed your travel stories all the way.It bring back memories,from my trip last year.
Did you see the green birds? Or the green flat spots on the road (birds who didn,d made it
Keep going girl,and let us enjoy reading your stories(even here in Europe)
Thanks.
Chris.
Chris Wils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #33
spaghettilegs OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wils View Post
Hello Kath
Followed your travel stories all the way.It bring back memories,from my trip last year.
Did you see the green birds? Or the green flat spots on the road (birds who didn,d made it
Keep going girl,and let us enjoy reading your stories(even here in Europe)
Thanks.
Chris.
Hi Chris,

I'm glad you've enjoyed reading my ride report. The last couple of days will be posted up soon. I didn't see the green birds. I was keeping a close eye out for them but it seems the wild life was staying away this trip. Thanks for the warning about them though, it gave me something to look out for as I travelled.

Kath
spaghettilegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #34
KLR Nirvana
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thanks for writing up your trip Kath - what an amazing journey :)

KN
KLR Nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #35
Chris Wils
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Hello Kath.
Yes you have to take care of wildlife.
Last year I was riding inland Queensland between Charleville and Roma,the road was in a bad condition,so I was doing 80 km/h,and on my right hand side their was the railway track,and some bushland.When I was riding the 80 km/h speed at 8 am (I left Charleville at 7am) I saw something moving in my right eye corner.When I looked to my right,I saw a big red kangeroo jumping with me,on the road,by 80km/h.After 5 jumps he (or she) turned right,away from me.I was lucky dat he didn,t turned left,otherwise I would have hit him,and my holliday would been over.I didn,t know where he came from,but I was surprised abouth the speed these animals can go.
Between Erdunda and Ayers Rock I saw two big skid marks (from a car) a big splash,and two dead camels on the side of the road.The Aussie people warned me to stay away from the road at night.And I kept this in my mind the whole trip:The nights are for Owls and Truckkies,and al the rest must stay away from it.
I love it to go across the Nullarbor,because I like long lonely stretches,and the Nullarbor is the best for it.
So long.
Chris.
Chris Wils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #36
TigerNoir
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Well done Kath. I have been reading about your adventure with interest. I am about to do the trip across from West to East on my own in 3.5 weeks. Friends are worried I will be out there all alone. I don't think so with all the travellers these days and you have confirmed that theory.

Great so see you have made your dream come true. Well done Girl.....
TigerNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #37
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 414
Great trip.

Well done.

Cheers,

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #38
spaghettilegs OP
Adventurer

Finishing the Nullarbor adventure

I have been back from my Nullarbor adventure for 2 weeks now and itís starting to feel like a distant memory. I wish I could be back out there on the road, seeing more of this big country and meeting new people. Unfortunately though, I have to be back at work.
Since being back I keep getting asked what the best part of my trip was. This is a difficult question. It was all the best part. I thought I would struggle traveling alone and camping solo but it wasnít as scary as I had imagined. Most nights I met people and was never really on my own. They would offer me food, wine and good conversation and I went to bed every night feeling very safe.

People keep asking me, would I do it again? I surely would! I loved it. The bike didnít miss a beat the whole way and the scenery is very impressive as you travel. Each state had a very unique landscape. South Australia was full of canola fields and I had great views of the Southern Flinders Rangers as I traveled. The Nullarbor was big and empty and as I entered Western Australia, the dirt changed to red, the trees grew taller and the green fields appeared again.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:54 PM   #39
spaghettilegs OP
Adventurer

South Australia

Fowlers Bay and The Nullarbor

Old 10-20-2012, 11:56 PM   #40
spaghettilegs OP
Adventurer

The head of Bight and whales; this was one of my best days. The weather was good, not too much wind and there were plenty of whales to be seen. I couldnít get over how blue the water was here. As the whales dived down you could still see there silhouettes under the water. This section of the Nullarbor is also really good because you can duck off down little dirt tracks and check out the Great Australian Bight.

Norseman - Hyden road; the best dirt road I have ever seen. This road is kept in great condition. There are a few mines along here so you can come across some road trains but with the dust they stir up you can see them coming a mile away and itís easy to avoid them. Along this road the dirt/sand was so red and the wildflowers make a really bright contrast. Unfortunately I didnít get any photos of the wild flowers.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #41
spaghettilegs OP
Adventurer

Wave rock; I thought this was just going to be a rock which looks like a wave and not much else. But this rock is huge and there is a nice walk you can do which takes you around the salt lakes as well.

York and a day of rest. I was running well ahead of schedule so I decided to have a rest day in York before heading into Perth. The road in was nice and not overly busy. I was in the habit of saying hello to every car that went passed and it didnít take long to realise they werenít going to say hello back. I kept waving though! York is a very nice little town.

Saw this in the motor museum and thought Rob and I could travel the Nullarbor together in it. But he wasnít keen.

So I found a compromiseÖ.

The day to ride into the big city had arrived and I didnít take to many snaps this day. The road got very busy and I got lost. It was such a great feeling arriving in Perth and when I finally found my friendís house it was a wonderful feeling to peel of the layers of bike gear and stretch the legs.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #42
spaghettilegs OP
Adventurer

After a day off the bike I was ready for a little day trip. I headed north to see the Pinnacles. A new road has opened up which follows the coast and is a little quieter then the main highway. The weather wasnít great but the ride was lovely. The road is in great condition and there are a few little turns off you can take into coastal towns. I didnít do too much exploring because I didnít have lots of time. When I arrived at the Pinnacles National Park, the young lady at the front asked about my stickers and I explained I was raising money and introduced her to Navigator. She didnít feel right taking my entry fee so let us in for free. Once again I am amazed and touched by peopleís kindness!

Navigator was a little naughty and climbed on the Pinnacles even though the signs say not too!

I was having lots of fun riding on the sand road they have created around the Pinnacles. It was good fun having the bike unloaded and able to slip and slide through the soft sand.

After this ride, Sherpa was parked up and I did some sight-seeing around the city, Rottenest Island and enjoyed catching up with my friend.

I hope you have enjoyed reading my ride report and traveling with me along the way. It was such a wonderful trip and I would do it again in a second. Thanks for the tips and suggestions along the way. It is true when people say youíre never really alone when you travel the Nullarbor. It might be time to start planning another trip I think!
Old 10-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #43
egret
noob

Oddometer: 357
Very nice piccies , especially the new ones with whales and Pinnacles ! What was the mileage in the outback if you remember ? The return trip was on bike or by other means ?
Thank you again,
-zie egret .
egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:10 AM   #44
spaghettilegs OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by egret View Post
Very nice piccies , especially the new ones with whales and Pinnacles ! What was the mileage in the outback if you remember ? The return trip was on bike or by other means ?
Thank you again,
-zie egret .
Thanks, I was able to get some great shots with my camera as apposed to using my phone. The Pinnacles were great and I couldn't believe how many there were! Over the whole trip I covered 3,643 km, my biggest solo trip to date. I flew home and I am having the bike freighted home. Unfortunately I had to get home for work, so it was a one way trip. But a very memorable one!