ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #16
Peirre O`Bollox
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Peirre O`Bollox's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Madam trixy`s house of ill-repute
Oddometer: 153
Though it may seem OTT

Whatever brand the OP buys, I`d check the maximum accesory power output that the bike will safely support, especially if the OP is considering buying multiple items of heated gear (jacket, pants, gloves etc) as the bike alternator may only support 1 or 2 of these items when used together. also they may have to consider any other FARKLES consuming power output while ride
__________________
I accept no responsibility for swearing, drinking, motorcycle riding or your pregnant teenage daughter.
Peirre O`Bollox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #17
perterra
-. --- .--. .
 
perterra's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 7,400
If you get the gloves, find a brick and mortar, dampen your hands and try to put them in the glove. If it goes in your good, if it's like my old Gerbings you will spend a half hour trying to get them on. Gerbings good stuff, and their new gloves may be primo, but the old ones stink in wet weather.
__________________
My Father was my maker. Poverty was my maker. Distrust was my maker. I have met them all my life.


IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #18
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery
 
SpaceManSpiff's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peirre O`Bollox View Post
Whatever brand the OP buys, I`d check the maximum accesory power output that the bike will safely support, especially if the OP is considering buying multiple items of heated gear (jacket, pants, gloves etc) as the bike alternator may only support 1 or 2 of these items when used together. also they may have to consider any other FARKLES consuming power output while ride
^^ This is key.

For winter riding, I have the Aerostich Airvantage vest (with the zip-on sleeves)...although it is very bulky, the nice thing about it that it is very warm even when turned off. For summer riding, I have Aerostich electric bib which packs nice and small...and is enough to take the edge off. I prefer heated grips to heated gloves...but I do not often ride in *really* cold weather.
__________________
Wildlife Biologist for Hire!
SpaceManSpiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #19
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 5,938
what ever you get... stick to one mfg so ALL connectors will be uniform.
lots of happy Gerbing owners, same for warm&safe, etc.

some folks may like uninsulated heated gear, but when you are freezing your ass off when group is stopped. remind yourself how good of a choice that was....

lots of complaints about newer Gerbing micro-wire with incomplete coverage. hot where wires are, cold elsewhere.

when I purchased mine, specifically looked on Fleamarket for used Gerbing to get old insulated style without microwire to get full coverage. heated jacket with sleeves are needed if one if planning on using heated gloves.

only microwire piece purchased was gloves with microwire. where thinner wires makes a larger difference. coverage on gloves are good.

have not tried wireless controllers yet... anything that reduces mess of wires all over has got to be an improvement.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #20
perterra
-. --- .--. .
 
perterra's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
what ever you get... stick to one mfg so ALL connectors will be uniform.
lots of happy Gerbing owners, same for warm&safe, etc.

some folks may like uninsulated heated gear, but when you are freezing your ass off when group is stopped. remind yourself how good of a choice that was....

lots of complaints about newer Gerbing micro-wire with incomplete coverage. hot where wires are, cold elsewhere.

when I purchased mine, specifically looked on Fleamarket for used Gerbing to get old insulated style without microwire to get full coverage. heated jacket with sleeves are needed if one if planning on using heated gloves.

only microwire piece purchased was gloves with microwire. where thinner wires makes a larger difference. coverage on gloves are good.

have not tried wireless controllers yet... anything that reduces mess of wires all over has got to be an improvement.
Blowing a fuse sucks too.
__________________
My Father was my maker. Poverty was my maker. Distrust was my maker. I have met them all my life.


IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #21
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 5,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
Blowing a fuse sucks too.
all heated gear is hooked directly into battery with a fuse in between of course. have never blown a fuse with top/bottom/gloves/socks all going.

controller uses pulse width modulation so full amp draw doesn't hit all at once. seldom have I used heated socks .. but use heated jacket and gloves all the time. heated pants regularly. really depends on how cold one rides...
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #22
perterra
-. --- .--. .
 
perterra's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
all heated gear is hooked directly into battery with a fuse in between of course. have never blown a fuse with top/bottom/gloves/socks all going.

controller uses pulse width modulation so full amp draw doesn't hit all at once. seldom have I used heated socks .. but use heated jacket and gloves all the time. heated pants regularly. really depends on how cold one rides...

I blew one on the KLR, it was a cold mofo for a while. I really dont know why it blew, gloves and jacket liner.
__________________
My Father was my maker. Poverty was my maker. Distrust was my maker. I have met them all my life.


IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #23
Grinnin
Forever N00b
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Maine
Oddometer: 2,582
At least 2 posts have suggested INSULATED heated gear. I wish I had read these before my purchase.

I have an Aerostich heated jacket (not the AirVantage like SMSpiff's). I occasionally use it alone and it's a very good wind shell with some insulating capability. And the pit zips align with my shell pit zips so I can quickly ventilate when the temps warm up.

BUT about 80% of the time that I use my heated jacket I wear an insulated jacket over it. It's all very versatile, but an insulated and heated layer would be so much simpler.
__________________
Motorcycles are magical.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #24
bahnzii
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Oddometer: 78
Another Warm&Safe vote...but whatever you get make sure it fits snug. You want those heating elements touching you, not hovering away from you!!
bahnzii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #25
stevepsd
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Mojave Desert, CA & Southern Oregon Coast
Oddometer: 226
Just replaced my Gerbings microwire with the Warm-n-Safe Gen 4 jacket & wireless controller.

The Gerbings microwire has huge areas with no heated coverage, was not to much of a issue until you have a drafty jacket.

The Warm-in-safe looks to be built better, no cold spots and the wireless controller is GREAT!

Plus Warm-n-safe give a HUGE ADVRider discount as well. This is gear designed by motorcyclists for motorcyclists.
__________________
'12 XT1200Z SuperTénéré, '09 KTM 530 EXC, '08 Triumph Tiger 1050, '87 XR600R Street Legal
Gone but not forgotten: '92 Yamaha TDM850, '82 XJ550 Seca, '80 XS1100,'85 GL1200A, '84 V65 Sabre, '80 CB750F SuperSport, '77 RD400, '72 TS250, '69 CB450K, '68 CL70
stevepsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #26
bob393
Gnarly Adventurer
 
bob393's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Goshen, NY
Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
Warm&Safe. Period. Owner is an innovator, rider, and advrider supporter. Everything is USA made.

If you want Chinese reverse-engineered copies of his products buy Gerbings.

Mike's a good guy who stands behind his products 100%.

No relation or affiliation to Mike. Just a satisfied customer.
+1 so far!
__________________
2007 R1200GS almost farkeled to perfection!
bob393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014