Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #61
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcycle View Post
I'll just rip out about 12" from the bottom and put in a new section. Shouldn't take me too long, because now I'm a drywalling expert, right?
Unless you have stock sitting around, get some greenboard for that part.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #62
walkingbear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
When painting the bathroom last night, I found a loose piece of drywall paper toward the floor (where the original drywall isn't in the best shape anyway). I pulled at the loose piece and underneath was black mold. It's now very apparent that the bathroom was flooded at one point, as I've found rusted nails, water damaged drywall and now mold no higher than 3" off the floor. So back to drywalling I go... I'll just rip out about 12" from the bottom and put in a new section. Shouldn't take me too long, because now I'm a drywalling expert, right?

Don't forget to treat the mold. spray 50/50 bleach and water. Let dry and put a coat of shellac or sealer on before covering up.
R nine T
walkingbear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #63
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,729
Great looking work. I'm interested to see the finished project.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #64
azcycle OP
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 704
I have about 4 sheets of drywall left over, but it's the normal stuff. Do the right thing and buy new green stuff or just use what I have? To do it REALLY right, I'd have to gut the whole bathroom, but that's not going to happen at this point. I'll probably use the drywall I have. Have a can of Kilz, too. Will treat anything higher than the replaced piece with bleach/water and Kilz it, then repaint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Great looking work. I'm interested to see the finished project.
Thanks!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #65
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,207
You could put a coat of RedGuard on the lower portion, but you'd have to coat the edges, too, to keep the sheetrock from wicking water up inside. This would be mostly to protect it from mop water and tub splashover until you get to redo it completely.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #66
azcycle OP
Chihuahua Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
You could put a coat of RedGuard on the lower portion, but you'd have to coat the edges, too, to keep the sheetrock from wicking water up inside. This would be mostly to protect it from mop water and tub splashover until you get to redo it completely.
That's a good idea... I'll look into it. Thanks!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #67
walkingbear
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That's a good idea... I'll look into it. Thanks!
here is blue. coating on the bathroom wall before the tile. Great stuff will keep out water pentration.

R nine T
Old 09-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #68
azcycle OP
Chihuahua Wrangler

Ripped out the bottom 24" inches of bathroom drywall last night. Glad I did... it was crumbing and water-damaged (some moldy). Good news is the PO used the greenboard. Also installed the vanity mirror and light. Bathroom is nearly complete! Trip to IKEA tomorrow to get the "kitchen" counter and some other stuff.

Crappy iPhone camera and the fluorescent lighting makes the wall color look green. It's more of a neutral grayish/brown.

Ordered a very nice hide-a-bed couch that is a more modern technology that doesn't include a metal and wire/spring frame. It's solid wood with a memory-foam mattress. And the best part is it's custom built here in the US - Texas to be exact. That should arrive just before the baby is due.

I think this project will be wrapped up in a week!
Old 09-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #69
Ratski
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
I think this project will be wrapped up in a week!
Sorry but, famous last words.

Looking good though, I just bought my first house and already completely redid a basement rec room into a bedroom and am working on finishing the attic.
Ratski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #70
azcycle OP
Chihuahua Wrangler

Ha! Yeah, we'll see. The end is in sight, however!

Spent most of Saturday driving up to the city-wasteland that is called Phoenix and shopped at IKEA. Got some small items, a small dining table/chairs, and the main reason I went: A cheap laminate countertop. The rest of Saturday was spent sanding the replaced bathroom drywall and finishing paint.

Sunday got to work on the vinyl plank flooring. This stuff is so incredibly easy to put down. Cutting is as easy as scoring with a razor blade and snapping it off. I got the entire thing done in about 7 hours. My knees are killing me (even with the knee pads) but it was well worth it!

I do have to finish the planking in the bathroom closet, and then I'll install the old cabinets, counter, and kitchen sink.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #71
azcycle OP
Chihuahua Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratski View Post
Sorry but, famous last words.

Looking good though, I just bought my first house and already completely redid a basement rec room into a bedroom and am working on finishing the attic.
You cursed me!

Made very minor progress this week. Hung cabinets and leveled the floor cabinets (holy cow were they off originally!) I basically had to lift the one side by a 3/4" to level the whole thing. Plan on finishing that tonight, including putting in the water heater and countertop, and start door/floor/ceiling trim.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #72
azcycle OP
Chihuahua Wrangler

Lots of work this weekend. All ceiling, floor, and door trim installed and painted. With only a cheap plastic miter box and hand-saw, this took a long time. Cabinet pulls, water heater, and counter and kitchen sink installed. Built a cabinet box for the little refrigerator, stained and installed that. Do I have photos? No. I'll snap some tonight after I clean up the mess a bit. Only need to paint trim one more coat, install the kitchen wall tile, bathroom sink and toilet, and closet doors. Should get quite a bit of that finished up tonight.

Had a nightmare main house plumbing issue this weekend. The old bathtub in the "pink" bathroom has always drained slowly. A previous owner reglazed it themselves to this ugly beige color, and it began chipping. So I had a professional reglazer come out and before they started, they said that the drain HAS to run freely or they can't reglaze or warantee their work. No problem... called a plumber to come out and snake the drain, but warned them that previous plumbers (and myself) had snaked it with no success. Snake goes down a couple feet, hits something, and stops.

Plumber came out Saturday morning, tells me that this year house doesn't have a p-trap but rather a "box-trap" which are difficult to snake. So he goes to work. A little while later, he calls me into the bathroom and says: "I found out why your drain is so slow." He shows me the snake, and it's covered in mud. "You don't have a pipe anymore."

He sends down his camera and I watch as it descends down. And I could see where the old pipe just disintegrates to nothing, leaving a pipe-shaped tube of dirt with a tiny pool of water at the bottom. So our bathtub has been draining into the soil beneath our house for who-knows-how-long. At least the year we've lived there. The previous owners told us it had been running slow for a while. I know that many of the pipes had been replaced before we moved in but they obviously didn't bother to get under the tub. And we have an original step-in shower which I'm sure has never been replaced. Thankfully that drain is running nice and fast.

So now he is digging under the wall outside the bathroom to get UNDER the bathtub and replace with a new pipe. They also are scrubbing and inspecting basically every other pipe in the house, and installing a 2nd sewer clean out. This basically will empty our savings two effing weeks before our baby is due.

This is how far he got on Saturday. Apparently our house was built on a huge slab of bedrock (Caliche) so it was slow going while he jackhammered through it. This hole is about 3' wide and about 4' deep here. Dirt underneath is very moist, and we found TONS of tree roots, of course... they had an eternal spring of water!

azcycle screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 09:57 AM
azcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #73
azcycle OP
Chihuahua Wrangler

More main house plumbing drama and then on to the final good stuff! Part of the quoted bathtub drain job was to put in a second sewer clean-out vent. We only had one and it wasn't really installed correctly. It also was installed at a "y" junction where one arm came from the main house, and the other came from the guest house. This is relatively new PVC, so that was good, but as I mentioned, it was misaligned. As the plumbers got down there, they found that the main sewer line exiting the main house was in very bad shape.

So with that taken care of, and two new cleanout vents installed, they inspected the rest of the line heading toward the street. That's when they found out that the new PVC ended about 8' from the street, and was tied into the original clay sewer. I suspect the PO didn't replace this section because they needed a permit. So they got as close as they could without one, and left it. The clay was cracked, misaligned, and filled with tree roots:

We got a permit and the plumbers fixed that. Now, we do have a small section of original sewer pipe under the slab but they did a thorough scrubbing of our entire system and said the rest is in good enough shape to last a while longer. So what began as a $300 bathtub reglazing project became a four-figure plumbing re-pipe. Wasted our savings account, just 2 weeks before our baby is due. I'm thankful we had the money and didn't have to borrow/finance or run up a credit card, but still. I haven't written a check that big, ever. Not fun.

But onto the fun stuff!

The guest house is 99% complete! I've spent the time since the last update painting, adding floor/ceiling/door trim, painting, plumbing, and tiling. I've still got to build a little microwave shelf but I think that's going to have to wait. Also need to do the small stuff like hang towel racks, blinds, and mount the AC/Heater window unit. I also need to insulate and drywall the garage-side of the shared wall. Okay, so maybe not 99% but it's totally liveable now. We've got a tiny kitchen table and our sleeper/couch just arrived today.

This is another project that I really don't want to think about the cost, but for posterity and for those who asked, I would guess it ran us about $5,500, including a few hundred bucks in new tools. I did all the labor except for the main plumbing and electric, which was about $2,000 of that cost.

She's done!

And just for comparison... here is what it looked like at the end of July:

azcycle screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 10:02 AM
azcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #74
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
Quote:

zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #75
walkingbear
Beastly Adventurer

great job

It is a really nice job. Congrats on finishing and on the baby.

Mine little one is 18 months now and time does fly pass quickly .. enjoy the baby. The best times are the mid-night feedings where you are alone
and rocking the baby to sleep.

The bonding is incredible.
R nine T