Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #31
DynaSport OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
He didn't come to that conclusion, or even say anything of the sort. He was noting that this is the thing that people complain about Harley riders doing, and he never got it before, but now after experiencing people doing it, he understands why people complain about it.

PhilB
This!.

I should have titled the thread "I'm starting to understand the anti-HD vibe" to make it clearer.

And with me it is spreading to an anit-Goldwing vibe as well.

Listen, I don't care how slow you ride, and whether it is required by law or not I get frustrated when people know they are holding you up and could easily let you by, but just refuse to. I don't think it is a sense of entitlement at all. It is a sense of frustration that someone could do something so simple and easy and just plain refuse to. What's up with that?
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #32
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaSport View Post
This!.

It is a sense of frustration that someone could do something so simple and easy and just plain refuse to. What's up with that?
No worries, they're just being asshats as usual...

The slow riders, and some of the guys posting replies...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #33
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Yeah, I really hate it when I get all dressed up in my space man suit to go for a ride on my 180 h.p. racing motorcycle and I want to embarrass all those other riders in the twisties and the nasty bad mans on a Harley won't let me pass him.
Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #34
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
On a multi-lane federal highway, it is not just courtesy. It's the LAW. You are REQUIRED to yield to overtaking traffic. Unfortunately, the police seldom issue the ticket unless there is another infraction at the same time. Hence, the prevalence of the slow (insert stereo-type here) in the middle lane, refusing to travel in the right (slow) lane because they are too lazy to deal with on- and off-ramp traffic.

On two-lane highways (one lane each direction), the laws very by state. In Washington, the delay of 5 or more vehicles requires the slow vehicle to pull over to let traffic pass. Again, the police seldom enforce the infraction.

In a world of increasing congestion, and too many instances of road rage, the "delay of vehicle" or "failure to yield to overtaking traffice" should, in my opinion, be the first infraction enforced.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #35
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbonneville View Post
Fucking rude ass Buell riders ignoring the speed limits and riding recklessly, almost as bad as those old overweight goldwing riders.
If you don't like it, go to Russia!
unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #36
norseXL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
I don´t get it?
You´r driving a bike, just pass the suckers
Old 10-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #37
DynaSport OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRoadToad View Post
If they were going the speed limit, I do not see the problem. If not, just wait until it is safe and legal to pass.

The Toad
It is practically never safe and legal to pass on any road with curves and very much traffic. It is not "legal" to exceed the speed limit when passing, meaning that if the speed limit is 45 and the bike ahead is going 40, it is going to take a while to pass never exceeding 45 mph.

Also, it is obvious from many of the people posting that they have never ridden the Tail of the Dragon nor the BRP. There are no legal passing zones on the Dragon and VERY few on the BRP (at least on the section I was riding). The sight lines on both are very limited and I was not willing to pass in a way that I did not feel safe. Yet both roads have many places that it is easy to pull off onto and in a matter of five seconds they could have been continuing their ride without me behind them. For you guys who don't get this, we are simply wired differently. I like a little excitement in my ride from time to time. We all have our own acceptable risk levels and there may be some on here who would have passed in the conditions I was riding in. I could not see around them far enough to ensure I wouldn't become a hood ornament, so I wouldn't pass. Others would. And for the record, the people on the BRP parkway were NOT going the speed limit. I don't believe the people on the Dragon were either, but to be honest, I'm not sure what the speed limit is on that road. They were going so slow, however, that I don't see how they could have been going the speed limit.

But, even if they were going the speed limit, my frustration would not change. When someone obviously wants to pass you, let them pass. It's really simple.
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #38
FJ Fun
Grouchy Old Squid

Oddometer: 73
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
You want huge bunches of bikers backed up behind some newbie who's inching along at speeds slow enough to make your head explode? Head to Sturgis.

I was there in the thick of it with my brothers and nephew. We all like to ride fast. After getting frustrated for a half a day in the black hills on awesome roads...poking behind one big group after another (which seemed to be held back by a two-up WInger instead of a Harley) we changed tactics. We just pulled over as a group when we ran up the tailpipes of some slowbie.. We'd take a five minute break, and as soon as a long spell went by with no traffic we'd zip out and have some fun. And normally catch the monster group of slowbies at the next town.

A lot more fun to stop and let the slow guys go ahead than to work your way through a big crowd.

Of course, I passed a lot of people too. I got a speeding ticket in Wyoming to show for it.

Cakeeater
So, you went to South Dakota during Sturgis and you expected to be able to enjoy riding the roads there????
SRSLY????

Joe
FJ Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #39
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 718
What's with all these rules, you're on a tucking motorcycle! Yeah, you should blow past people doing the speed limit, because that is just totally obnoxious.
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #40
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlucky1 View Post
If you don't like it, go to Russia!
Just because you obviously hate America don't assume I do you fucking commie, now pull over you slow ass mother fucker.

BTW I'm just teasing you, just today I let a 10 speed bike pass me down a hill so no doubt a buell could do the same.

marksbonneville screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 10:29 PM
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:12 AM   #41
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaSport View Post
It is practically never safe and legal to pass on any road with curves and very much traffic. It is not "legal" to exceed the speed limit when passing, meaning that if the speed limit is 45 and the bike ahead is going 40, it is going to take a while to pass never exceeding 45 mph.

Also, it is obvious from many of the people posting that they have never ridden the Tail of the Dragon nor the BRP. There are no legal passing zones on the Dragon and VERY few on the BRP (at least on the section I was riding). The sight lines on both are very limited and I was not willing to pass in a way that I did not feel safe. Yet both roads have many places that it is easy to pull off onto and in a matter of five seconds they could have been continuing their ride without me behind them. For you guys who don't get this, we are simply wired differently. I like a little excitement in my ride from time to time. We all have our own acceptable risk levels and there may be some on here who would have passed in the conditions I was riding in. I could not see around them far enough to ensure I wouldn't become a hood ornament, so I wouldn't pass. Others would. And for the record, the people on the BRP parkway were NOT going the speed limit. I don't believe the people on the Dragon were either, but to be honest, I'm not sure what the speed limit is on that road. They were going so slow, however, that I don't see how they could have been going the speed limit.

But, even if they were going the speed limit, my frustration would not change. When someone obviously wants to pass you, let them pass. It's really simple.
Look, I agree with you totally but you can just slip past without any hassle, surely? To really enjoy yourself pass them on the inside!
Graeme
omeoxlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #42
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbonneville View Post
no doubt a buell could do the same.
Could probably do it in neutral
unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #43
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlucky1 View Post
Could probably do it in neutral
Why not the 10 speed did.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #44
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT RDHS View Post
Most states have laws like this - http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatD...28&DocType=ARS

If you have 5 or more vehicles stacked up behind you... you must pull over, and let them pass.
If you're going too slow, get out of the way.
It's the law!

Arizona is not North Carolina, or TN. Nor is it the Federal 2 lane blacktop policed by the Parkway fuzz.

The lore that circulates in motorcycling circles that somehow because you're on a bike means you get to make it up as you go is both a good way to get killed and a good way to be a jackass.

It's nothing more than a sense of entitlement our community feels.

The BRP is about 1.4 miles from my house. I ride it all the time. I've seen a lot of bad wrecks. Most of them owe to this sense of entitlement people feel. Same for the dragon.

If someone is going too slow, pull over and chill for a few minutes. No one owes you anything on a scenic highway.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #45
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
Ah, so you are one of them? Self-righteous, "I'll show them" attitude? Nice.

PhilB
Well, I don't think of myself as self-righteous. I just think that all you tourists should really stop and think about your attitudes. You're on a public highway with other people who have just as much right as you. The BRP is a scenic highway built purposely so people can amble along at 35 or 45 and enjoy the views.
No one owes you anything on either road.

That's not being self-righteous. It's just seeing the world for what it is. I don't think that Harley wagon trains have any right blocking traffic and having Road Captains block intersections like they're a parade.
I also don't think that anyone should have to make way for a guy on a sporting machine.

You want a parade, buy a permit and do it downtown. You want a trackday, go to a track. Otherwise, ride and be polite, enjoy the BRP and the dragon, and accept that sometimes you can't ride balls out because there are other people on the planet.