Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #9301
ferals5
f5eral

Oddometer: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1968 View Post
3 inches? 130/90 is only 13mm or 1/2 an inch taller than 130/80. 80/100 is 1mm shorter than 90/90.

You work it out by multiplying the tyre width (130 on the rear) by the profile which is expressed as a percentage (90 or 80).

cheers,
Michael
just remember sizing is nominal, different between manufacturers. I've had a 130/90 that was over 30mm taller than the 130/80 I run at the moment
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #9302
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk Unit View Post
Howdy folks,
Just picked up a 2006 Dakar up in Albany NY that came with a nice fun box of farkles to play with.
Oh hey, a local!

You still ride the 2-smokes? I've got one in the garage that gets muddy on a regular basis. I can also direct you to some nice dirt roads out in the hill towns in Albany County. Been meaning to get back down there, but the weekends have been busy lately.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #9303
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarGuy View Post
Now on to my request for help. Can anyone specifically recommend a good tank bag for a 2007 Dakar? Not too big... I just need it to hold a digital SLR, wallet, cell phone, and a few other small items. Indeed something that will easily clip on and off, and ideally would have straps to use as a backpack.
Thanks in advance for any advice. A link to an existing thread that covers this question specifically for the DKar would be welcome too.
The only Touratech item i've bought yet is the 35L tank bag system. It has a 15L tankbag and 2 10L tank panniers that attach to a base plate. The theoretical engineering is pretty impressive. The panniers hold more and are shaped better than the other ones i've seen (Aerostich or Wolfman). The main problem i ran into is that an impact on the bags usually seems to destroy a zipper (which make the system more convenient than strapped ones otherwise) and leads to a pricey replacement. The main tank bag is very nice with a large, detachable map window, zipper to expand or contract to 15L capacity, and backpack straps for off the cycle.

It is an expensive system and although generally pleased with the design, i feel justified in airing some complaints based on the snarky response i got when i emailed their customer service department. The base plate covers up the oil chamber and ends up wearing off the decals on the fairing. I was fine with these items, but when i parked outside for a half year the base plate went from a black color to a faded purple and the velcro degraded to the point where i could no longer ride with just the map window and no tank bag, an advertised feature that would have been handy a few times if it hadn't turned out to be an engineering failure. The Touratech customer service rep advised to be content with all the 'road warrior cred' i would get for having a weather faded accessory on my ride, but i never botherd to point out how much of a poser i would look like to have a black tank bag zipped to a faded baseplate. I get the idea, backed up by most of what i've read here, that the TT folks don't actually get out that much to test their equipment...?

Regardless, if you don't mind the hassle of loosening the base plate to check oil, or find a deal on a used one, the TT tankbag is pretty nice.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #9304
ar1814
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
I got the BMW one, not too bad, especially considering that I got it with the bike. I ride everyday with it (for several years) and it seems to hold pretty well.

It's quite expensive if you buy it new though, better look at Touratech or other brands like that, you can have some better products in this price range.
ar1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:22 AM   #9305
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,901
Quote:
Now on to my request for help. Can anyone specifically recommend a good tank bag for a 2007 Dakar? Not too big... I just need it to hold a digital SLR, wallet, cell phone, and a few other small items. Indeed something that will easily clip on and off, and ideally would have straps to use as a backpack.
Thanks in advance for any advice. A link to an existing thread that covers this question specifically for the DKar would be welcome too.
I personally like the Wolfman Enduro tank bag and have one each for both my Dakar and WR250R. This bag is smallish, but would hold what you describe. The problem with anything larger on the Dakar in my experience is that it really gets in the way when standing on the pegs off-road.

My Dakar with Wolfman Enduro (also mounted are the Wolfman Peak tail bag and Enduro saddlebags):

BTW, Wolfman used to make a tank bag called the "Denali" (since preplace by their "Rainier" tank bag)that was specifically for F650GS or Dakar models. I had one of these for awhile but found it much too bulky for my tastes. Here's a shot of my bike several years ago with the Denali bag (side pockets removed):

The BMW tank bag has some very nice features - especially the ease of mounting or dismounting it using a zipper at the rear - but again, for me, this bag is in the way when standing.

GSBS screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 04:29 AM
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:59 AM   #9306
Mohawk Unit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333 View Post
Oh hey, a local!

You still ride the 2-smokes? I've got one in the garage that gets muddy on a regular basis. I can also direct you to some nice dirt roads out in the hill towns in Albany County. Been meaning to get back down there, but the weekends have been busy lately.
Hey!
Sure do - you can find me riding stinky old mopeds every Thursday evening with about a dozen other people around Albany. Yes, I am the founder of Albany's one and only moped gang.

and YES I would love to talk about these dirt roads, going to send you a PM soon -
Mohawk Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:32 AM   #9307
DakarGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
I personally like the [URL="http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Tank/enduro_tank.html"]Wolfman Enduro tank bag
Thanks to you and the others for your feedback.
The Wolfman products look good. I am planning on getting the Wolf Tail bag. Question for you though; those straps look like they will chaffe the 'tank' in the crotch area. Any comment on that?

I actually tried some more fitting options with the Cortech last night and I think I'll hang on to it. The bag is really nice. It has some things I don't like, but I'm sure there will be something I don't like about any bag. I'm just like that

Thanks again for the feedback.
DakarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #9308
mothra
Rally Driver

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Its going to be hard to beat a Wolfman bag. I have an older version of the enduo and its perfectly sized for the items you described.

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Tank/11index.html

'02 F650GS Dakar
'09 HUSBERG FE450
mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #9309
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattomoto View Post
Yes, pretty spectacular here. Come for a visit out west. You won't be disappointed. Looks like I will be in Norway next year end of August first of Sept for the Mountain Bike World Cup finals in Hafjell. Looking forward to it.

Ya, will put the bold back in just as a place holder at least. My bike was not loaded down, but sure did get beat around a ton! Did not loose any parts atleast.
I'm "planning" (as in thinking about, wanting to go, but no firm plans) a trip to the MotoGP round in Brno (Czech republic). It was in August this year at least, so I'm planning for August, but I should make it back just in time so be sure to remind when it's getting closer, I'm about 1-1,5 hours south of Hafjell, 10 minutes from the airport where you'll be landing.

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #9310
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baams View Post
I'm at 86991miles(140000km) so far... no probs yet, except all my electrical cables are begining to disintergrate :(

I should prob do a valve check soon , been riding the last 50000 km without doing one. How often are you suppose to do it on theese bikes. I'm proberly way past the point
Supposed to be checked every 20.000 km I believe.
Mine were ok at 10k and 20k, but had to be adjusted slightly at 40.000km (on the exhaust side I think)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 10-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #9311
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
Turn the ignition switch on, but wait until the water temp light goes out before pressing the starter button (2-3 seconds). Then after the engine fires up, continue holding the starter button 2-3 more seconds (this I was told sets the EFI for the ambient conditions).

Mine is an 03, but I think the procedure is the same for the newer, 2-spark models. My Dakar has always started right up using this method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coyote View Post
If this were the case, wouldn't it be mentioned in the BMW literature somewhere? I mean i think the first part is, but i've never heard about the second before.

My 2006 stalls sometimes if i don't keep the starter in for a full second, but i figured the EFI adjusted ASAP regardless...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
The starting procedure is covered in a TSB as owners had problems from when the model was released, I think the TSB is over at F650, there is also a write up on the reasons for it with details of what the ECU does written up by a mechanic floating round the web, have been kicking myself for not bookmarking it as I need some info from it at the moment

EDIT found it

http://www.bikeboy.org/f650start.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdalland View Post
This is from my '06 Riders Manual.

So, wait for the temp light to go out and hold the starter button until the motor is running smoothly, 5 seconds max.
I've done it before and I'll do it again, regardless of what bikeboy says in his blog, don't uncritically press the starter button for 2-3 seconds after the engine has started.

The picture provided by rdalland of the manual states "Press starter button (max. 5 seconds) and do not release it until the engine is running smoothly". Imperative part of that instruction highlighted. My bike runs smoothly after 0,3-0,5 seconds so I naturally let go of the button. I would really be sceptical about going anywhere and how I would get home if it took several seconds before it started - that's what it does first time I start it after winter storage on half a tank of old fuel and a battery thats stood for 6 months in the freezing cold.

As for the ECU, I was told by the mechanic at the main BMW dealer here in Oslo that you had to ride it for about 20km so it was warm and the air sensor and lamda probe would have gathered enough info to adjust to the ambient conditions. The important part here is to avoid short trips only, because the ECU will never adjust properly, and the settings from the latest long trip will stay in effect even if the conditions are totally different than they were on that latest long trip.

All the bikes are probably a little bit different and everyone can do what they want, but I think a new owner asking for advice should not get absolute answers where there may be variations from bike to bike.

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 10-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #9312
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwags View Post
Hey all, Looking to put on some aggressive Dual Sport tires on my new/used 2005 Dakar. Specs say they should be 90/90-21 front and 130/80-17 rear. Right now I have 3.51-21 (51P) front and 5.10-17 (67P) rear, IRC Trials GP1's. It seems to handle fine.

The local shop told me to go with Kenda Trak2's in the following sizes 80/100-21 frt and 130/90-17 rear. Will that work properly. The front would be narrower and taller. The rear will be just taller. I am only 5'11 don't want to raise the bike anymore than it already is. I have not quite mastered the whole tire decoder ring thing. So I am a bit lost.

It just seems that no one has the right size for both tires in an aggressive tread. AARRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!

Looking forward to hearing from ya all!!
Might not be agressive enough for you, but the Michelin T63 comes in the correct sizes and sticks like dogshit on a sneaker on pretty much all surfaces.

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 10-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #9313
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk Unit View Post
Howdy folks,
Just picked up a 2006 Dakar up in Albany NY that came with a nice fun box of farkles to play with. I'll actually probably be selling a Touratech seat on here soon if anyone happens to be interested. Anyway coming from little old 2stroke bikes, I'm having so much fun riding and wrenching on the Dakar.

Feel free to hit me up on instagram if that's your thing, planning to post my experience with the bike on there.

I also wanted to ask if anyone knows any US shops to try for a 17t front - I'm thinking it would be nice for longer highway trips, and I'm on the lighter side so I think it could work. Having trouble finding anything bigger than the 16. If anyone's holding and didnt end up using one feel free to shoot me a PM.
Congrats.
I just bought a set of JT sprockets size 16/45 to use for highway commuting which I think will be perfect.

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 10-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #9314
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
I'm sure this is not the first such thread, and I don't know how to search a single thread...sorry if this has been asked before, but here goes...

I just got my Cortech Super 2 12L Tankbag. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-Tank-Bag.aspx

The bag itself is very nice, just what I want, and great quality too. I got the strap down model obviously.
So when I fit it on the bike, it does not sit well at all. Due to the raised center of the Dakar 'tank', the bag is really laterally unstable. Secondly, the bag base ties to the bike in the front with straps that go around the top part of the forks. The clips only clip to the bag and not the base. The base is held in place by the strap clips simply passing through some stretch loops sewn onto the base. In order to get the bag held tightly enough in position, you have to pull those front straps quite tight, which puts a lot of strain on the stretch loops holding the straps to the base. (Not sure if I'm explaining myself very well here.)
So I don't feel confident that the bag/base will hold up very well to any sort of off road stuff, specifically due to the lateral instability in conjunction with the weak strap loops on the base.

I just bough one I guestimated would be just big enough. It is ugly and there's no perfect, easy way to fasten it, but it's not that bad either. I have an old sleeping matress (compressed foam) that I just cut out a few pieces from and used duct tape to stick together so it looks like a camera bag. Main compartement fits an SLR and the front has room for wallet, cellphone, air gauge etc or a tiny bottle of chain lube like in this picture.

Bag is made by Oxford and it says Sprint on it

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 10-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #9315
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
I just bough one I guestimated would be just big enough. It is ugly and there's no perfect, easy way to fasten it, but it's not that bad either. I have an old sleeping matress (compressed foam) that I just cut out a few pieces from and used duct tape to stick together so it looks like a camera bag. Main compartement fits an SLR and the front has room for wallet, cellphone, air gauge etc or a tiny bottle of chain lube like in this picture.

Bag is made by Oxford and it says Sprint on it
Bike is looking good. Like the dash/switch/mirror setup!

Bags not bad either.