User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #61
BUSdriver
Pop Copy Manager

Oddometer: 79
Day 3

Breakfast in Jarbidge was great. The Outdoor Inn was a fantastic place to stop and eat. The people were friendly and the food hit the spot!

First thing in the morning Mike led us to a billy goat trail that even the billy goats struggle to climb. Fortunately, it was decided by everyone that we use an alternate route. If I didn't have all the gear on my bike, I'd have considered giving it a shot but I wasn't about to tackle it with the way I was loaded down.

The rest of the day is a blur but I remember stopping often to witness some fantastic views. I would say this was the 3rd best day in terms of scenery during the entire 8 days.

Toward the end of the day we made our way to Owyhee for a fuel stop and food, which was good because I was hungry and almost out of gas. I was carrying (among many other things) 2 extra gallons of fuel but I really didn't want to stop and take the time to remove everything required to get to it... so I pushed on. I pulled into the gas station after 110 miles. I only have a 2 gallon tank so that was pretty good considering some of the terrain we traversed.

After some good food (still took forever to get it delivered) and a stroll through the well stocked grocery store, we made our way west. Sometime before sundown, Dan located a spot out in the desert for us to camp. We all got set up, charged gps units, repaired a few things, and got some rest.

One of the early scenic diversions in the morning of Day 3

Same overloaded bike... just more dust.

One of the many gorgeous views from Day 3

Mark often has to contort his body to get the best shot

Checking the map

Not sure if he's standing or sitting, but we definitely know Dr Dan is not using all his fingers as he waves.

Somebody had to take photos of Mark

Lunch break by the river

More great scenery

Campsite on Day 3

You may notice the reason Dan slept in a bit longer than the rest of us. (He was the first one ready to go, however... not sure how he does that)

I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by noon I'm only half done.

http://mototrailadventures.blogspot.com/

BUSdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #62
ugo1st
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
this was an old stone home ruin sitting out in the middle of nowhere, made me wonder what poor soul decided to settle there? maybe it was an official outpost or something, was hot here we didn't stay too long.

there was a date scribed into one of the stones

and this guy tanning in the hot sun, think he followed us because I saw him again later in the trip,, another story

ugo1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #63
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Keep it coming!!!!

Wow! Great RR and Photos Fellas!!! Thanks for posting up....dd
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #64
John_L
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugo1st View Post
Never underestimate the versatility of an old KLR with dirt tires, fresh rider on comfy big seat too...

the day 3 campsite was especially good for Mark+Husky, an old dry wash provided the perfect "kickstand" for the Husky
Great report guys. Mark if you haven't already replaced the kickstand, get the Kenn Webb one off CafeHusky. It is way better than the stocker and super stout.
John_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #65
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
In 2011, a Canadian husband and wife went missing when they mistakenly followed their GPS into the mountains between Owyhee and Jarbidge, Nevada. The woman was found in her van after 48 days. Her husband had taken off on foot to try to find help.

When we went thru the area between Owyhee and Jarbidge, I wondered if we might find his body out there. I hoped not but it seems like crazy things always happen on these desert trips so it was a possibility. At the time I was planning the routes, I did not have any specific knowledge of where the van was found, just that it was in Northern Nevada.

Luckily, we did not find him.

He was just found by some hunters.

Elko Daily News Article

Here is a map of the area that was searched.

On the 4th day of our ride, I met a guy named Chris who was involved in the Search and Rescue attempt to find the husband. He was hanging out with his son at the radio site at the top of Hinkey Pass. He told me exactly where the van was found and showed it to me on my map. He told me he was planning to go and search some more for the unlucky husband later in the summer. When I saw on the news that Mr. Chretien's remains had been found, I thought maybe Chris had found him.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #66
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

Oddometer: 143
Hinkey Pass! But that was day 4, not 3:

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
kramsetac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #67
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
I know it is a bit early to mention talking to Chris on day 4 but it seemed timely since they just found Mr. Chreiten out there after he had been missing for 1 1/2 years and we rode right past where they found the wife and van on day 2 and even closer on day 3. Sorry about that!

Now post some more pics you guys!! I want to see more. It was another picturesque day of riding.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #68
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,173
Awesome!!
Old 10-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #69
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

Ok, i have a short time slice here at work, so here is the beginning of Day 3 -- which probably contained the most beautiful scenery of the trip (though that is debatable, as you will see in future reports). After another meal in downtown Jarbidge, we began our day:

Notice the way the shovel heads spell out Jarbidge? Clever!

After screwing around the with impossible powerline road that Mastermarine referenced, we took the main route south up and out of the canyon. We soon crested the pass at 8500 feet:

Immediately to the right was a road that climbed quite a bit further, so...of course...we felt compelled to take it.

If I recall, the peak elevation was 8900 feet. Pictures from the top:

Amazing fuel injection: The grossly overloaded 250 motored to the top. The Husky 610 was fine, but sure blubered at that elevation!

Then it was into the valley of astounding awe. We probably lost an hour stopped at every turning and just staring at the scenery. Simple spectacular. This is Nevada, right?

And one of my favorites -- documenting the gawking:

Back to work. More of day 3 later...

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
Old 10-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #70
killurtv
free range moron

Oddometer: 640
Fantastic!!! Thanks for posting. I love that area too, can't wait to get back out there.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #71
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugo1st View Post

stubby

The Answer! Gotta beef up the top of the stand.

Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #72
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

Regarding the 610 kickstand: I'd be interested in a direct thread on here or on Cafe Husky for the aftermarket stand to fit a 610. As it turns out, I was only without a stand for the first four day loop. I had brought my 310 along as a backup bike and had it locked up back in Denio Junction. I bolted it onto the 610 and was good to go the rest of the week -- although the spring didnt work, so I had to secure it in the up position with an big innertube rubber band. The 310 stand was just a tad too long, though, so had to be careful about where to park out on the trail.

I looked around a bit upon our return and couldnt find an aftermarket stand (guess I didnt look hard enough) so bought a stocker replacement -- which is too short.

The problem with the stand that broke is that it had been cut and extended -- twice -- by the previous owner. It first started bending, then snapped, at the exact point of extension. Rather than cutting into the new one, I have left it unmodified and was going to experiment with a home made foot extension (copying the design of a Touratech model for a GS).

With a lead on the pictured aftermarket, I'll pull the trigger and put my new stocker into a "spares" box...

Ok, done with the hijack and on with the ride report!!!

Mark.

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
Old 10-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #73
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post

I had seen a rough looking power line road that comes right down into Jarbidge from the west. I tried to climb up it but it was too loose and rocky to bother with while carrying all of our gear. I fell over at least twice and came upon a small tree across the road before I finally figured this out.

You picked a good spot to stop, the upper section of that climb gets steeper and the rocks get bigger. One trip into Jarbidge we saw a Honda Rancher that didn't know when to stop

If you get up there again come in from the West, it's also a great ride. You passed the turnoff when you were on the Bruneau River Rd between the Charlseton Rd and the Rowland Rd (where the van went off the road). There is a sign that says Wickiup Creek, follow that road and it leads right into town.
oldtrucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #74
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,167
Stunning ride! I would be on my face in the dirt if I had to ride through such relentless beauty...

Denio looks like it went through some urban renewal since I was there last
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #75
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

On with my Day 3 pics. So...after the valley of awe, we dropped down into the desert, and after trying to find a non-existent road for a while, we went right:

Mike stops to read the signs:

and confer with Bill on routes:

Bill had to put on his glasses:

I think Bill posted this toaster before:

Mike blasts forward:

Scott motors down the canyon.

Time to lie around and look at maps:

I think after a while everyone got sick of my and my constant camera shots:

Some shots of the area where we stopped for lunch. More crummy Nevada scenes:

You can tell it was getting windy that day: We were able to ride in fairly tight formation without much dust -- it got blown away immediately.

Hey, lets go to Mountain City! I hear its nice:

Um....not so much:

Cool old sign though:

And out into the flat lands to begin our westward trek back to Denio Junction (still several hundred miles away):

ah...Camp. Mikey likes it!

And Scott:

Good night from Day 3:

More later!

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC

kramsetac screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 06:44 PM