User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
mountainkiller075 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Side Rack Confusion !@$$#!

I am looking to install a set of side panniers on my Tiger 800XC. I have decided on using Pelicans but don't know which type of side rack to use. I have narrowed the list down to:

1) Hepco Becker Sideracks
2) SW-Motech Sideracks
3) GIVI Sideracks

Does anyone have any information (pros or cons) on any of these sideracks? Any information is much appreciated I am looking to order these before the end of the week but can't decide on the sideracks....
mountainkiller075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,604
I only now that SW-Motech racks are quick disconnect and leave little tabs hard to see when the rack is off...

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,684
don't forget wolfman http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Racks/...ide_Racks.html
and carribous complete system http://cariboucases.com/store/?name=...=i&item=000363
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Smopho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainkiller075 View Post
I am looking to install a set of side panniers on my Tiger 800XC. I have decided on using Pelicans but don't know which type of side rack to use. I have narrowed the list down to:

2) SW-Motech Sideracks
3) GIVI Sideracks

Does anyone have any information (pros or cons) on any of these sideracks? Any information is much appreciated I am looking to order these before the end of the week but can't decide on the sideracks....
Hepco and Beckers use 1/4 turn twist screws, 3 on each side. When they' re off, all you have is a thin black plate left on the side and a small tab by the footpeg. What I don't like about them is the left bracket sits the pannier 5-6" off the bike frame. But that does leave room for a tool tube or two I guess.
Smopho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:15 AM   #5
motosickle2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smopho View Post
Hepco and Beckers use 1/4 turn twist screws, 3 on each side. When they' re off, all you have is a thin black plate left on the side and a small tab by the footpeg. What I don't like about them is the left bracket sits the pannier 5-6" off the bike frame. But that does leave room for a tool tube or two I guess.
The Givi racks are quick release also. They come with a special keyed tool to remove the racks. They are high quality and they come with a nice bag to store them in when they are off of the bike.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=9008
motosickle2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:16 AM   #6
Clockwatcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainkiller075 View Post

2) SW-Motech Sideracks
3) GIVI Sideracks

Hey MK, Your post doesnt say where you are. but maybe I can help. I have been making some racks for my bikes.
If you would like a peek , PM me...........
Clockwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
mountainkiller075 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the help everyone! I ended up getting impatient and impulsive and buying the SW-Motech racks to pair with my bike...

They seem like they will be able to hold up - I don't plan on ever taking them off ever, so I bought a hard bolt kit to replace the quick releases. Once I get them on I will post up some photos.
mountainkiller075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smopho View Post
Anybody know why everybody does this? It's such a dumb thing to do, there must be a reason

Subscribed since I'm looking to do the same thing. Seems all the racks in question would work fine. Which is cheapest I'll likely go with Caribou bags since the top box I have is so good. I think you can use any of the racks with their kit?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #9
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Anybody know why everybody does this? It's such a dumb thing to do, there must be a reason

Subscribed since I'm looking to do the same thing. Seems all the racks in question would work fine. Which is cheapest I'll likely go with Caribou bags since the top box I have is so good. I think you can use any of the racks with their kit?

Yes, I emailed Happy Trails about this and their reply was, 'That's what 95% of our customers want." I guess for most people they can't deal with one side sticking out further. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

I was also upset that they placed their right side lower mount precisely where the muffler headpipe runs and a Leo was just enough larger in diameter that it would not fit. DOH!!!

They are much heavier duty that the other brands here, and I've used them before so I went with them again. IMHO they will survive a laydown better than the others.

Touratech are non-symetrical and so are Wolfman. The latter now has a mounting system for hardcases giving you the option of running their soft bags or hard cases. I wished I would have gone that route. Still may.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #10
windmills
Gnearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
The Givi racks are quick release also. They come with a special keyed tool to remove the racks. They are high quality and they come with a nice bag to store them in when they are off of the bike.
Hey Motosickle,
hope you don't mind me butting in here...
Those Givi racks look about the best I've found so far (I also don't like the rack sitting way out on the left side of the bike when it doesn't really need to). Thing is, I wanted to use the racks as a base for soft bags, and that mounting knob top centre of the rack looks like it might interfere a bit with mounting soft bags. Is that knob a permanent metal fixture? Looks a bit like a rubber plug in your image, if so could it easily be removed to better fit soft bags?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Old 06-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #11
InTheLoo
Adventurer

Wolfman

The Wolfman rack will likely work well with Pelican cases. I didn't care to have a quick release rack and just finished fitting the Wolfman racks, Wolfman hard bag kit (of which Wolfman makes a Pelican 1430 specific kit) and Muffintop MT1-OC aluminum panniers to my 800XC for about $800 total.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:05 AM   #12
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I'm pretty happy with my givi racks - and the price I found on them made it a no brainer. They're quick release if I need to remove them, but I never do. I can't imagine any rack getting any closer on the exhaust side than the givi. It's actually close enough that I can sometimes get a little resonance between the exhaust heat shield and the rack on downshifts.
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #13
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,149
I hard-bolted Seahorse cases (like Pelicans but lighter duty) to my SW-Motech racks and kept the quick-release to be able to remove them. Super-strong and stable.

Even if you think you want to keep them on most of the time, it's handy to be able to remove them for cleaning and chain/tire maintenance.

I came up with a fool-proof method of getting both cases aligned exactly the same before drilling. If anyone wants me to describe it, I'll try...

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #14
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
I tested my Givi rack this weekend with a left side layover. I did not survive a zero speed impact. Bent it in pretty good but I was still able to use the rack with a little less passenger foot room. Looking for something more heavy duty now that I can use with the Trekker cases.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #15
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,599
Happy Trails or Wolfman. Strongest racks in the biz.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote