Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #691
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 211
I've often considered the Enduro Star Trail Stand but since I live in wooded country and carry a small folding saw I've always just cut a piece of wood to serve the purpose, now if someone was to figure a way to get the two sides pieces of that grill to also go together and make a trail stand I'm in.

Here's a homemade stove I made out of a sheet of titanium that uses a beer can pot, it all folds up and goes in the grey bag in the first photo. I've used this for years and it has a small piece of mesh that allows air under the fire which makes it work well on fuel that can be hard to burn. Obviously this is for use in the non fire season which we have a lot of here on the Olympic Peninsula.

mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:55 AM   #692
Spad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I was thinking the same thing about making that Grilliput work as a trail stand (especially since the grill holes would theoretically make it very adjustable). For that matter, the same could be done with one of the collapsible buck saws. Combine the three and I think there's a market here waiting to be tapped!

- Spad
99 DR350SE
Spad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #693
DCMC
Supermoto Rider

Oddometer: 78
Tip: Smaller Bottles

In the spirit of going smaller, I realized I don't even come close to using a full sale container of any of this on one short trip. These smaller bottles (REI; about $1 ea.) make my kit a little smaller and lighter, and I still have all I need for a trip.

Bug stuff, camp soap, sunscreen. It's hard to write on this little boogers:

DCMC screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 08:32 PM
DCMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:48 AM   #694
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
Good tip DCMC.

Just a reminder to put some duct tape over the tops of the ones with spouts. When they are packed sometimes the spout nubbins get pulled up and a lot of your soap gets ejected. Ask me how I know.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #695
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Good tip DCMC.

Just a reminder to put some duct tape over the tops of the ones with spouts. When they are packed sometimes the spout nubbins get pulled up and a lot of your soap gets ejected. Ask me how I know.
I love all of the little bottles - I have a huge free collection from staying in hotels. I always put those in a ziplock bag. Sometimes I forget to label them, I once put lotion instead of condition in my hair.

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #696
RAZR OP
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMC View Post
In the spirit of going smaller, I realized I don't even come close to using a full sale container of any of this on one short trip. These smaller bottles (REI; about $1 ea.) make my kit a little smaller and lighter, and I still have all I need for a trip.

Bug stuff, camp soap, sunscreen. It's hard to write on this little boogers:

what team ftb said is true and has happened to me as well.

i use a long piece of electrical tape cuz you can take the tape off and tape it to the side of the bottle while at camp and then reuse it to tape the top down.

OR

THIS or THAT might be better than the 2 ones on the left in the pic(i see the Nalgene on the right).

i've tried all 3 and would say i like the Nalgene ones i posted the link to. the Go Toob is cool but i don't feel 100% about it spilling in my gear.

also, separate all your toiletry liquids in freezer or heavy duty ziplock bags, so if it does explode, it's not on your sleeping bag/clothing/etc.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #697
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,243
Great thread, skipped from page 17 but subscribed and will go back. Long ago avid backpacker so I have the basic camping stuff. Here is my deal. Doing a fly and ride out of Richmond Virginia back to New Mexico. Buying a KLR.

So I have never been on road trip on a motorcycle. I owned a street bike a few years ago, but very limited road riding experience. My longest trip on a road bike was about 3 hours.

I have been riding moto trials for over 25 years, I am 51 years old. Over 100 nationals in all those years and been riding between and over trees and in the rocks all my life. Recently purchased a XR250R street legal so I am officially licensed and preparing for a large trip. Been having a blast riding forest roads and techy single track.

I was told that all you need to ride around the world cheaply is a KLR and a milk crate.

I don’t think I will be packing as light as you guys but my intent is to go with essentials and a few perks. I will be riding for over 3 weeks. I may do the TAT through Arkansas. Gonna stop at my Mothers home in Kentucky.

I will likely start a ride report, but not sure yet and if so, I will link you inmates. Wish me luck and any advice or suggestions is appreciated. A very long journey starts with the first step right? In this case, the first twist of the throttle, mileage ZERO.
AteamNM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:07 PM   #698
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 211
Thats a great looking KLR, I bought an 04 about a year ago and put 17K on it before selling it in July. I spent many 6 to 800 mile days on it and found it comfortable and honest. I had a lot of fun riding sportsman level trials events in southern california a few years back, great group of guys and I would still do it if I lived in the same area.

Enjoy your trip and if you need to borrow some gear for it let me know, I've done some buy n fly's and they are great fun but it can be a challenge to gear up for a bike you don't have yet. I have lots of xl jackets and pants, some heated gear and a giant loop coyote that your welcome to if needed. Heck I think I have a wolfman tank bag stored away as well. I recently returned from a 5K ride on my xr400 and don't have any more long trips on the immediate horizon so your welcome to borrow what you need and mail it back when you get home. Denny
mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #699
russellkt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
This little piggy is headed to the ozarks for three days...

Feel too heavy but rain and lows in 30s forced a last minute change to a 20F synthetic sleeping bag which occupies almost the entire drybag

Right Tank Pannier - ATV tank bag with grommets to add straps
Folding Saw
0.5L Oil in Fuel Bottle
0.5L Water

Left Tank Pannier - ATV tank bag with grommets to add straps
Tool Kit
Slime Air Compressor
Valve Stem Tool
Vice Grips
Duct Tape
Electrical tape
Rags

Headlight Bag - Mountainsmith hip pack wrapped around forks underneath headlight
21 Front Tube
Tube Repair Kit
Tube Patch Kit
2 Tire Irons
Extra pair of protective glasses

Giant Poop Pants Bag

Right Leg
15 L Sea to Summit Dry Bag
Silk Long Johns
Terramar Silk/Wool Long Johns
700 Fill Down Jacket
Merino Wool Long Sleeve Tshirt
Merino Wool Insulated Zip
SmartWool Skiing Socks
Beanie
Lightweight Gloves
Hammock
Hammock Straps

Left Leg
Tyvek Envelope
6 Tent Stakes
2.5 mm line
Bug Net
Machete
10x10 Tarp

Overland Drybag
Compression Sack
6 packages of wild planet sardines in marinara
3 packages wild planet tuna
Kimchi
20F Synthetic Sleeping Bag(way bigger than Id like)
4L Wine Bladder

Underneath Bag
Lightweight Camp Shoes
Fire Glove

Stock Toolkit

CamelBak Backpack
3 L water
First Aid Kit
TP
Camp Soap
Kelty triptease line
Emergency Blanket
Rubber Gloves
Maps/Waypoints Printed
Almonds

Riding Gear
Scorpion Helmet
Scott Goggles
Fox MX Boots
Cortech Jacket(pads removed)
Camera
Old garmin etrex for emergency use
SixSixOne Compression Suit
Shift Recon Over the Boot Pants
2 pair thin quick dry socks
Capilene 1 Long Sleeve Tshirt
Leather Gloves

I'm way heavier than I wanna be so will update when I get back.
russellkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #700
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellkt View Post
This little piggy is headed to the ozarks for three days...
Nice, have fun! I've got two days to ride next week, also considering heading to the Ozarks as I can get out there and back fairly easily.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #701
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
the Go Toob is cool but i don't feel 100% about it spilling in my gear.

I have been using Go Toobs for years in my travels both on a bike and while on tour traveling worldwide. Mine get a lot of use, very handy to be able to carry under the 3 oz limit for carry on baggage when flying, and that amount is enough for most of my rides too.
Never had one leak yet and really think it's a great product.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #702
DCMC
Supermoto Rider

Oddometer: 78
I have been nerding hard here at the command center to show you the packing list v2, now with more farkles! It started when I went car camping with a friend and provided 90% of the equipment. To stay organized I used the moto list and added some color coding, a status column, and name coloring to make it easier for me to pack.

The car camping list

The food; life is sweet with a double wall tent and a big cooler.

The company

and Winelamp! (improvised from the wine and a bicycle headlight)

After all that excitement, I came home and updated my packing list: The packing list v2. The actual gear in the list is pretty much a mess, as it's in between trips, but heyit's an example One thing I realized from the pie chart is that I have a big opportunity to decrease weight by carefully going over my toolkit, as it's 18% of the weight.

And in keeping with small bikes bit of this thread, I passed a yellow air-cooled 250 while I was riding through georgetown the other day. I was walking along Mass Ave. later that day and saw it parked, so I have a picture. What year would you say it is?

DCMC screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 01:38 PM
DCMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #703
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,986
Looks like a late 70's DT250. I think that the earlier (like 77-below maybe) had the weird exhaust guard on them, I'd guess this is a 78-79.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #704
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 935
DCMC, that is one nice list you have there, in the new v2 model!
Old 10-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #705
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Looks like a late 70's DT250. I think that the earlier (like 77-below maybe) had the weird exhaust guard on them, I'd guess this is a 78-79.
I was thinking 79.

Quote:
mookybird
Enjoy your trip and if you need to borrow some gear for it let me know, I've done some buy n fly's and they are great fun but it can be a challenge to gear up for a bike you don't have yet. I have lots of xl jackets and pants, some heated gear and a giant loop coyote that your welcome to if needed. Heck I think I have a wolfman tank bag stored away as well. I recently returned from a 5K ride on my xr400 and don't have any more long trips on the immediate horizon so your welcome to borrow what you need and mail it back when you get home. Denny
WOW! What an offer. Really overwhelmed. I was telling a guy - Adam last night who stopped by for a dinner, a few drinks, sleep, shower and then a tire change on his way to Oregon to deliver a 1998 BMW single 650 and fly home to North Carolina. He contacted me through the tent space thread. We talked about good karma, how ADV is a very common thread that binds us all in a cosmic and an interwebs way. This Mookybird is some serious good karma. Thank you, I believe I'm well sorted out.

I have a friend that will be loaning me some saddle bags but looking at set of Wolfman on sale here in the flea market. They are used and beat up a bit but a good deal. $50 plus shipping from Canada which is another $30 bucks. ???

I have some serious good Wolfman stuff. Here is my initial list of the top of my head.

Wolfman number plate or light pack and a set of Wolfman tank panniers. I also have owned for a while a Wolfman front fender bag with a 21 inch tube, tire tools, patch kits, etc. inside. The KLR comes with a rear fender top box and a small tank bag. I have a classic old school tent, cooking gear, sleeping bag and clothes in separate dry bags. I have all the dry bags in one XL North Face water proof duffel for the one checked bag. I plan to use the duffel to hold the bigger stuff, tent, cooking gear, sleeping pad and bag, etc. across the rear seat. This NF bag has external compression straps and all bags inside it will be strapped together to prevent load shift. I will carry on my PC bag and carry on the plane a backpack. My North Face duffel is close to 50 pounds. With the loaned saddle bags, tank panniers, small tank bag, front tube bag and the rear fender top box I should have plenty of room. I will be camping for @ 3 weeks so it is heavy and I'm sure too much. I can always stop, find a postal place and mail stuff home if I need to.

I just finished trolling this thread, it has contributed greatly to my preparing and unfortunately spending way too much money getting sorted. My initial purchases which include a pair of Klim Sahara pants, a used awesome riding jacket off the flea market, and then add the purchase of Wolfman gear, some camping stuff; these expenses like any new hobby have a big financial impact at the beginning. Then it is a matter of weeding through what is best and works well. A self guided discovery.

But again inmates, you guys have been a large help. Thanks.

PS - I believe the best clothing deals on the flea market are found mainly in XL. Reason, old, rich fat guys and the quest of farkle Nirvana are always upgrading stuff or getting bigger????
AteamNM is online now   Reply With Quote