User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 07:13 AM   #406
Guttooth71
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
New to BMW, and 09 g650gs

Hello to all, I just purchased a new to me a 09 650gs. Plan on using it 90% roads, 10% off road. 4400 mi on the bike, in good condition. I plan on having the 6000 mile service done ASAP for peace of mind. Since I am not very tall and can barely stand on my toes I have to add 1" lowering links. Also plan on hand, engine, faring guards and a tall windscreen. Any tips, tricks, or tools anyone Recomend? Can I expect 100k out of a well maintained bike? Thanks
Guttooth71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #407
RogerWilco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
We put the BMW factory "tall" windscreen on our G650GS and could barely notice a difference. We do not consider it to have been money well spent.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #408
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
I have a 2009 g650gs I bought new in 2009. I dont think anyone on here has had one long enough to put 100,000 miles on one yet, but I am about to the 30,000 (29,890) mile mark (I have 2 other bikes I ride). The BMW tall windscreen is a waste of money. I bought one and noticed no difference; it is only a couple of inches taller than the stock. I bought a CeeBaileys 20" windscreen and really like it.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #409
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 690
I have an '09 with 21k miles I've put on it. Here's my list of add ons:

SW Motech crash bars. Buy these first!
You will drop the bike and plastic is expensive. These have been great and I can put my feet up on them when on the highway, no hwy pegs needed.

Large Z Technik windshield. Tried the medium and it didn't make any difference but the large completely removes the buffeting. I still get some wind noise but wear ear plugs so it's not bad. I may still try the Madstad since its more adjustable.

SW Motech foot pegs. These are awesome. Great grip without being too spiky when the rubber is removed. Has a lower position that still works fine with existing pedals.

The biggest difference has been changing the rear sprocket to 49. I just changed my original chain and sprockets at 19k.
I use the DuPont Teflon chain lube you can get at Lowes. It's great and $5. I got the new sprockets and chain from the f650.com vendor area for a great price. I should have done this a long time ago.

I also reworked the seat, butt that's another thread I need to post with pics.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #410
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,356
I have about 11k on my 2009, but I only bought it two years ago and have other bikes and obligations.

Just had to change the sprockets and chain - stock chain started stretching at an accelerated rate and front sprocket was pretty worn. went With JT steel sprockets and RK XSO chain.

Add ons:

BMW engine guards - I like the enclosed cage and it gets hit fairly often.
BMW hand guards - really only weather protection, but it works for me.
Givi 3 case setup on Givi racks
Z technik tall windscreen. Made the bike comfortable to ride at highway speeds
TT fork protectors
TT chain guard
TT front sprocket guard
BMW tankbag
hardwired GPS on a RAM mount
Lightbar with two 35W lights, running all the time, wired to ignition controlled circuit.
Extra brake light pods - 2 on racks, 2 under license plate
20mm handlebar risers (Barkbusters)
GPR exhaust
Modified seat and new cover
Open air box
rear brake master cover, reservoir cover

Most of it is here: http://www.hmwrites.blogspot.com/sea...l/bmw%20g650gs
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #411
climb-on
climb-on

Oddometer: 2
"I had to use a sledge hammer"

OK, heres one for you . I took my G650 into the BMW shop to get a fork leak fixed (under warranty) the (self proclaimed) mechanic came into the front of the shop and stated "ive fixed hundreds of these leaks but had to use a sledge hammer to get the bushings out of the fork tube" consequently he damaged the tube and they have to order it. I told him that i had been a jet engine machanic for 8 years and that there was probably a better way. OOPs that did'nt go over very well !! whats your two cents?
climb-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #412
Guttooth71
Adventurer

Exaust question

I noticed when it's in neutral and is idling while on side stand exhaust is coming out of only the right exhaust pipe. The left one is not putting anything out. Is this normal? The bike runs fine, no issues yet, does the left sided exhaust engage once the bike is moving? Also anyone know how to set the clock? Thanks
Old 10-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #413
ctoldie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guttooth71 View Post
I noticed when it's in neutral and is idling while on side stand exhaust is coming out of only the right exhaust pipe. The left one is not putting anything out. Is this normal? The bike runs fine, no issues yet, does the left sided exhaust engage once the bike is moving? Also anyone know how to set the clock? Thanks
The left side is catalytic converter only. Right side is normal exhaust.
Your owners manual will tell you how to set clock,
ctoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #414
Guttooth71
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoldie View Post
The left side is catalytic converter only. Right side is normal exhaust.
Your owners manual will tell you how to set clock,
Thank you for taking the time to reply, only thing is the bike did not come with an owners manual. I will try looking online.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #415
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,356
Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to reply, only thing is the bike did not come with an owners manual. I will try looking online.
The left side on newer 650GS singles is fully closed, whereas on the older 650s I saw a small hole in the left side exhaust (like 1/8-1/4" hole).

Anyway, don't try to drill the exhaust out as some forums suggest. I did, and my left side was running real hot afterwards, and I only drilled a 1/2" hole through the end cap. I ended up buying an aftermarket exhaust and it runs so cool I can touch it right after a long ride.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #416
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,074
Quote:
Just turn the ignition key to on, then set the hour and minutes using the two small inset buttons on the dash.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #417
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
I have an '09 with 21k miles I've put on it. Here's my list of add ons:

SW Motech crash bars. Buy these first!
You will drop the bike and plastic is expensive. These have been great and I can put my feet up on them when on the highway, no hwy pegs needed.

Large Z Technik windshield. Tried the medium and it didn't make any difference but the large completely removes the buffeting. I still get some wind noise but wear ear plugs so it's not bad. I may still try the Madstad since its more adjustable.

SW Motech foot pegs. These are awesome. Great grip without being too spiky when the rubber is removed. Has a lower position that still works fine with existing pedals.

The biggest difference has been changing the rear sprocket to 49. I just changed my original chain and sprockets at 19k.
I use the DuPont Teflon chain lube you can get at Lowes. It's great and $5. I got the new sprockets and chain from the f650.com vendor area for a great price. I should have done this a long time ago.

I also reworked the seat, butt that's another thread I need to post with pics.
Hey,
how did the 49 affect the bike?

Thanks
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #418
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 690
Go to gearingcommander.com and you can see the numbers. Basically it raises the rpm a little. I was going to put a 15 CS sprocket on years ago but never did. I've always felt one major problem with the bike is not having a 6th gear so increasing the rpms would help my slow offroading riding but would make my highway rides even more vibey.

The 49 rear is a notch in between. The Professor Steve from f650.com said he thinks this is the way the bike should have come from the factory and I totally agree! No more lugging in low gears. I put these on just before a trip to CO and on the Alpine Loop offroading, this saved my ass. You can crawl up stuff in 1st gear much better and can descend more slowly as well.
Overall the bike feels more zippy, like it has a little turbo boost now. And while I still think it could use a 6th gear, it kinda makes the higher gears feel smoother, less vibey since the RPMS are up.
This isn't a drastic change but it's not subtle either.
I really like it...feels like a new bike to me.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #419
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,074
I went with a 15T front sprocket. The motor feels busier at highway speeds but I like the performance at lower speeds. Less downshifting as well.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #420
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
I wish it had a 15 front and a 6th gear :)

Thanks guys.
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote