Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #31
neilking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Oh. By the way, I'll have them with me in Oklahoma for the October test. Unless someone buys them before that.
13 Factory Beta 250
neilking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #32
Gordy OP
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,497
Maybe mine is getting all torn down by some minimum wage kid about now.
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #33
neilking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Maybe mine is getting all torn down by some minimum wage kid about now.
Lets hope not!
13 Factory Beta 250
neilking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:56 AM   #34
Gordy OP
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilking View Post
Lets hope not!
I originally thought that the BYOB bikes were modified at the factory and then shipped. I found out that the bikes are imported stock and modified at the importers.
We are talking engine cases, clutches, base gaskets, fork components, triples, etc.

On one hand, that would be cool job to mod bikes all day, but on the other hand, I hope that the guy doing it is good at it!!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #35
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
I agree - thats alot of duplicated effort. I dont know why they cant special order direct from the factory, but give BETA USA a TON OF CREDIT for creating these innovative programs. I'll bet the guy who does the BYOB bikes gets very good at it very quickly. FWIW: All of the BYOB bikes Ive heard of have been trouble free.
laser17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #36
Gordy OP
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
I agree - thats alot of duplicated effort. I dont know why they cant special order direct from the factory, but give BETA USA a TON OF CREDIT for creating these innovative programs. I'll bet the guy who does the BYOB bikes gets very good at it very quickly. FWIW: All of the BYOB bikes Ive heard of have been trouble free.
Oh, don't get me wrong, this is a great program!!

For example, by changing the shock instead of buying one later saves me about $300.

I am totally stoked about getting a custom bike and not ending up with a box of useless take-offs!
Old 10-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #37
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Oh, don't get me wrong, this is a great program!!

For example, by changing the shock instead of buying one later saves me about $300.

I am totally stoked about getting a custom bike and not ending up with a box of useless take-offs!
Didnt mean to imply you were against it - just giving Tim some "more" credit for his efforts - which are substantial. Enjoy the new bike - its finally the right frame color!
Old 10-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #38
Gordy OP
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
Didnt mean to imply you were against it - just giving Tim some "more" credit for his efforts - which are substantial. Enjoy the new bike - its finally the right frame color!
Not against it at all. I was surprised to hear that they do the engine mods over here though! They should be able to offer more savings if they did that aspect of BYOB on the assembly line.

It appears to be an amazing program and everyone should consider it when buying. I think I already expressed here the outstanding communication that Tim provides while ordering.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #39
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,245
Quote:
Not against it at all. I was surprised to hear that they do the engine mods over here though! They should be able to offer more savings if they did that aspect of BYOB on the assembly line.

It appears to be an amazing program and everyone should consider it when buying. I think I already expressed here the outstanding communication that Tim provides while ordering.
I believe that you might not have thought out the "basic idea" behind an "assembly line" though.

Not picking on anyone, but the idea is that you learn a tiny little part of the assembly process, that is dand near exactly the same, every time, mostly. This way, that person is the "winshield wiper expert" but really only for whatever car they build... But, they know what to do, what the results should be, and can do it in effectively, their sleep.

I'm afraid, that if you had to retrain each person for each of the different parts... it gets expensive. Look at a different wiper, or windshield, plus train all of the people in quality control, to know the various different specs, I doubt the bottom line would save much the way things are done in assembly lines today.

BUT, compared to that, once the dealer over here builds one or 2, AND if they are any good at mechanic at all, they become experts pretty fast, at several things about all the mods, and what they do...

which is a HUGE bonus for the buyers. IT is almost free dealer training, Plus this way, the dealer will have spare stock parts, lool!!! It is cheaper and win win.

agree?
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #40
Gordy OP
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post

agree?
no.

If you are substituting mag cases for the stock aluminum, you simply slip the guy in Italy some mag cases and he builds the motor with them. That motor gets earmarked for the guy that ordered a BYOB mag engine.
That has got to be way more efficient than building the motor once, installing it, shipping it around the world, taking it out, splitting the cases, building it again and then re-installing it.
With modern inventory control and just in time delivery, this not only makes sense, but is the way things are done with most industries.

You don't order a F-150 with a diesel engine and leather seats and they pull the gas motor and cloth seats to swap them in somewhere close to the point of delivery.

I know that these are basically hand built competition machines, and I REALLY do appreciate what American Beta is doing but there is a much better way of going about this.

If someone like KTM was to do this program, it would be a huge success and I would bet that they would do it much different.

I am a project manager and this kind of inefficiency just drives me crazy. That's all.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #41
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
no.

If you are substituting mag cases for the stock aluminum, you simply slip the guy in Italy some mag cases and he builds the motor with them. That motor gets earmarked for the guy that ordered a BYOB mag engine.
That has got to be way more efficient than building the motor once, installing it, shipping it around the world, taking it out, splitting the cases, building it again and then re-installing it.
With modern inventory control and just in time delivery, this not only makes sense, but is the way things are done with most industries.

You don't order a F-150 with a diesel engine and leather seats and they pull the gas motor and cloth seats to swap them in somewhere close to the point of delivery.

I know that these are basically hand built competition machines, and I REALLY do appreciate what American Beta is doing but there is a much better way of going about this.

If someone like KTM was to do this program, it would be a huge success and I would bet that they would do it much different.

I am a project manager and this kind of inefficiency just drives me crazy. That's all.
+1. Well said Gordy. I agree 100%.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #42
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

2 things Gordy,

1. mine is/was an opinion, I would love to find out which of us is right, but doubt that we'd ever succeed.

2. you cannot get a Diesel in F150, so your whole argument, is all wet! (LOL/JK)

But yeah I see all of your points, agree with most of them, but even many no options projects I have been on, suck the life out of you implementing, and into production, let alone options...

Oh, and on your side... Kenworth takes orders this way, or was it freightliner? but that is NOT the definition of assembly line... Assembly lines produce many dang near exactly the same things, efficiently. every option costs money to completely get it setup so it can be done efficiently and quickly, I know dang well that is true. I watched the specail about that on TV, they spent millions to set up everything it takes to do "made to order" at the factory. Plus if it went like any other "project" they probably spent months ironing that whole process out, and spending money...

Beta have that kind of money, for trials?

Everything you said, I cannot argue with, as to me it seems simple too, give the guy that part instead of the stock one... but after building RV's on assembly line, anything except "stock" motorhomes took weeks longer to get done, if nothing but parts screw ups, and even occasionally worker screw ups. One of my best freinds builds lightbulbs, he'll tell you it is enough work to get 30 people to do things to ONE "spec" and when you change something everything goes {insert the sound of glass hitting the floor}.

you keep assembly lines simple, get lots of bikes/ trucks/ RV's and lightbulbs built per hour that way, which probably does best to keep costs down, and the plant operating efficiently.

Dealers/importers need to do this work as well, this way when you have a problem, they aren't like me, guessing at the problem and solutions... Hehehehe.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #43
Gordy OP
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post

1. mine is/was an opinion, I would love to find out which of us is right, but doubt that we'd ever succeed.

This just gives me something to do while waiting for the bike. Once it gets here, all opinions and pseudo-belly-aching will stop and will be replaced by some spiffy pics followed by a ride report.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #44
laser17
Studly Adventurer

I wonder if it would make more sense for them to start with a factory 300 whenever the Mg cases are spec'd. Has the Ti pipe already as well.

Of course, were all wrong about the solution to this efficiency issue. If there's one thing I've learned about the trials mfg's is that logic - need not apply....
Old 10-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #45
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Quote:
This just gives me something to do while waiting for the bike. Once it gets here, all opinions and pseudo-belly-aching will stop and will be replaced by some spiffy pics followed by a ride report.
Hey, no problem. I like discussing this with you, and not offended at all, I call it online learning, never know what I'll pickup,

Hope ya get it soon.

Did that gasser get sold?