User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #3706
Zahnarzt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Help a brother out...

About a year (or longer) ago, I sow some blueprints on a block to lift the rear of the XT up a few inches.
after looking for two days and googling till my fingers are numb... I give up.
has any one seen this - I am dreaming I saw it - Does anyone have a copy or a link to the post ..
I need a hand ...

Thanks,

Z
Old 09-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #3707
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahnarzt View Post
About a year (or longer) ago, I sow some blueprints on a block to lift the rear of the XT up a few inches.
has any one seen this - I am dreaming I saw it - Does anyone have a copy or a link to the post ..
I need a hand ...

Thanks,

Z
You could be dreaming about it being for an XT. I certainly got quite involved with a project to make a raising link for a HONDA XL600, details here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447995
And the thread that started it all, where I replied with measurements and a blueprint that would make it work: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423896

Fun reading both, but I think the XT has a different or more complex linkage system last time I looked under there.

Edit: Bonus thread on the subject I started: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414478

featuring this photo:

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.

Zombie_Stomp screwed with this post 09-25-2012 at 02:01 PM
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #3708
pappito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
oil

Hi,

I just had a service, the bike has got new oil, filter, sparkplug and a good allround check.

THe oil is tricky. I had the engine drained completely. After this, I've filled the exact amount what the manual said: 2.8 liter. (it would be 2.7 if you don't change the filter)

After the 2.8 liter the dipstick has not reached the oil at all. I had to put 200ml extra in, and now it is at the full mark. I don't want to overfill it, but I don't understand what is happening.

I did not pour the whole amount in one go, I put two litres in, fired it up for few seconds, let it calm down for minutes and poured the rest.

What did I do wrong?
pappito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:16 AM   #3709
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappito View Post
Hi,

I just had a service, the bike has got new oil, filter, sparkplug and a good allround check.

THe oil is tricky. I had the engine drained completely. After this, I've filled the exact amount what the manual said: 2.8 liter. (it would be 2.7 if you don't change the filter)

After the 2.8 liter the dipstick has not reached the oil at all. I had to put 200ml extra in, and now it is at the full mark. I don't want to overfill it, but I don't understand what is happening.

I did not pour the whole amount in one go, I put two litres in, fired it up for few seconds, let it calm down for minutes and poured the rest.

What did I do wrong?

Start the bike go for a ride (not just idle) 5-10 minuts (min)
stop leave engine runniing for 15-30sec at idle with bike in level position
stop engine
check oil level within 1 minute if you wait longer you will read the level low

nuno
webmonstro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #3710
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,920
Anyone need a spare top end?

I have one for sale here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=19622094

No reasonable offer refused!

Sent from my ADR6350
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #3711
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahnarzt View Post
I need a hand ...

Thanks,

Z
Ive got one mounted if that hekps, got if of german ebay, its called "heckhöherlegung" they're on there from time to time:

Here it is, mounted to my shock:

Old 09-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #3712
Paulutions
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Question 83 XT550 Engine in a 84 XT600?

I have an 83 XT550 that has a bent frame and not much else going for it except the motor. A guy has an 84 XT 600 for sale near me that, apparently, has a blown engine. Would my engine bolt up pretty easily to his bike? The only real difference that I know of between these two motors , besides 50cc's in the top end, is that the 550 had an oil tank that was internal to the frame - which, by the way, makes trying to straighten the frame problematic. Any and all input here would be greatly appreciated.
Paulutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #3713
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
I have an 83 XT550 that has a bent frame and not much else going for it except the motor. A guy has an 84 XT 600 for sale near me that, apparently, has a blown engine. Would my engine bolt up pretty easily to his bike? The only real difference that I know of between these two motors , besides 50cc's in the top end, is that the 550 had an oil tank that was internal to the frame - which, by the way, makes trying to straighten the frame problematic. Any and all input here would be greatly appreciated.
Read back through the XT550 thread or PM Zecatfish (i think) it has been done.
vudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:04 AM   #3714
Zahnarzt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
New shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen View Post
Ive got one mounted if that hekps, got if of german ebay, its called "heckhöherlegung" they're on there from time to time:
Thanks Jens, That is what I remembered.
I an going to fit this until I can get a taller shock fit to the rear.
I'm thinking of finding longer shock and having a buddy TIG the ends from my XT shock onto it.
Other than the possible explosion, what could go wrong???

Z
Old 10-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #3715
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
Wilbers sell shocks for our bikes, they have en option to make them longer and stuff like that. I have on in stock length together with the raiser-thingy, and love the groundclearence and "dirtbike" look of the raised ass (old random pic):

Old 10-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #3716
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

The lack of pannier rack options is seriously pissing me off. I'm spending DAYS AT A TIME on the internet trying to track down folks who have made their own in the hopes that A: they look decent and B: they might have advice on finding a set, providing good blueprints with measurements accurate enough to duplicate a set from, OR C: they want to make another set and sell them.

Now please take a good look at this photo, which looks very similar to the German market released 2KF model I have. First observe the Hepco & Becker panniers in the link, pay attention to the rear tail rack on that bike: http://www.motomachines.com/Side-Car...85_p_2284.html

Mine looks very similar rack wise.

I am wondering if that pannier rack set will fit my 2kf frame. It's $350 F$@*ing bucks.

The other option I'm considering is taking a BUNCH of measurements of every possible mounting possibility and blueprinting it onto photos from the top, rear, and side. Then I could get a pair of the wolfman bags' rack maker's rack parts and DIY the $#!t out of it like I had to for the XL600 I owned. Those are really cool and can be found here: http://brmoto.com/racks/diy-side-rack-parts.html Browse the ones for other bikes and that gives one a lot of ideas on how to go about it. Mig welder, vise, drillpress....
It's a Yamaha at least. Be cool once mine has a pair like this.

Zombie_Stomp screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 04:57 PM
Old 10-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #3717
bosley1980
Rider

Oddometer: 152
Tire for XT600E

BAD NEWS
NOT AVAILABLE IN MY COUNTRY

Shinko 700 Series Dual Sport
Duro HF 904 Median Dual

So I choose between the others that you would recommend to me as a brand or as experience:
a) Bridgestone TW 41 + TW42

b) Bridgestone TW301 + TW302
(web)

c) DUNLOP Traimax

d) Pirelli MT60

e) Continental TKC80

f) Michelin Sirac

My use: 70% ON-ROAD + 30%OFF-ROAD

PLEASE VOTE

bosley1980 screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 11:43 AM
bosley1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #3718
Dannog
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jch View Post
How are you going to get an RPM reading from your engine to the tach?? Is there a way to just plug this tach into some existing cable to get a reading?
I picked up a send hand tacho pick up drive (from the earlier XT model) that bolts straight into the existing heads. There is a cover plate on the head now which I can remove and the drive bolts straight in. New tacho cable and everything works. Problem is still mounting the speedo/tacho mount plate to the triple as the centres dont line up and I have been unable to find a second hand one on ebay yet.

The tacho drive looks like this and bolts into the RHS of the cyclinder head.

Dannog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #3719
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

My frustration over lack of side racks is fading a little. I found this valuable web address from a guy called Folco who owns a 2KF with these racks. http://www.accessorimotocross.it/ind...rse-rally.html
I can likely safely assume the european model they'll be basing them on is a 2KF like mine, so I can just go by year. Now how to indicate which year mine is when ordering is a different question. They make these for several bikes but they are all listed on one page with no way to select a year/make/model. So I am asking them, in English, how to do that. They're pretty affordable, and I imagine I'll be welding on some crossbar action and maybe some of those cool steel tube hoops, with all the bracketry already laid out for me via their minimalist racks.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #3720
peak

Oddometer: 35
sudden stalling

My '89 starts right up and runs well for an hour or so, then suddenly dies with a slight backfire, and must rest for 20 min. before she'll start again. shop recently rebuilt carb and valve job. sound freakish? normal? any and all advice appreciated...
peak is offline   Reply With Quote