ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #69826
isaac004
Studly Adventurer
 
isaac004's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Someone else was having problems with his Intiminator front suspension. When he took them apart he found the outer fiber/plastic? ring was distorted. I think it had expanded slightly and was sticking in the fork tube a bit. One fix was to file the ring ends a bit (just like on an engine piston ring). It seems RICOR was helping and working with him.

Several users have mentioned clicking when riding.
THIS! This is exactly the weird thing I think I am chasing down.



I just got off the phone with Ricor and explained my problem, and what they told me was the first round of Ricor's (mine were probably installed by the original owner around 2007-2009) had a slight issue with the seal ring being slightly too large. This is also exasperated by the fact that once it soaks and swells slightly from the fork oil, it becomes even bigger (Pro Tip: Belray sends to cause more swelling, even in regular fork seals). This makes sense with what I saw last year when I "rebuilt" the forks with new oil and new seals....it took a bit of force to get the Intiminator's out, as in I had to turn the fork leg upside down and compress it until the Intiminator shot out with force into my plastic oil collection pan. Likewise during installation, I simply could not just "drop them in"...I had to use the fork spring to help them slide in the fork.

So the guy from Ricor confirmed that I will need to trim down this seal ring. I just pop it off the Intiminator like a piston ring, remove some material either by filing or cutting with diagonal cutters, and reinstall. Once that ring is back on the body of the Intiminator, it should drop right down the fork tube with no resistance. Ricor confirmed that it is OK if it's slightly loose, the effects are not very noticeable.

Hopefully I will get to this in the next half week or so...I will post my results. Thanks everyone for contributing ideas and thoughts.

ER70S-2, thanks for mentioning this crucial bit of info!

planemanx15, this may fix your problem!

isaac004 screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 09:44 PM
isaac004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #69827
NordieBoy
Armature speller
 
NordieBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kiwiland
Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac004 View Post
THIS! This is exactly the weird thing I think I am chasing down.

I just got off the phone with Ricor and explained my problem, and what they told me was the first round of Ricor's (mine were probably installed by the original owner around 2007-2009) had a slight issue with the seal ring being slightly too large. This is also exasperated by the fact that once it soaks and swells slightly from the fork oil, it becomes even bigger (Pro Tip: Belray sends to cause more swelling, even in regular fork seals). This makes sense with what I saw last year when I "rebuilt" the forks with new oil and new seals....it took a bit of force to get the Intiminator's out, as in I had to turn the fork leg upside down and compress it until the Intiminator shot out with force into my plastic oil collection pan. Likewise during installation, I simply could not just "drop them in"...I had to use the fork spring to help them slide in the fork.

So the guy from Ricor confirmed that I will need to trim down this seal ring. I just pop it off the Intiminator like a piston ring, remove some material either by filing or cutting with diagonal cutters, and reinstall. Once that ring is back on the body of the Intiminator, it should drop right down the fork tube with no resistance. Ricor confirmed that it is OK if it's slightly loose, the effects are not very noticeable.

Hopefully I will get to this in the next half week or so...I will post my results. Thanks everyone for contributing ideas and thoughts.

ER70S-2, thanks for mentioning this crucial bit of info!

planemanx15, this may fix your problem!
Quite often, the sealing ring is a little too large for a fork leg.

The internals of the fork legs are not completely true and the tighter tolerances of the sealing ring can cause problems.
Try swapping the Intiminators around and see if they still make the noise.

They should slide down the fork tube with the weight of the spring and only a tiny bit of pushing.

Trim a couple of mm off one end of the rings and you'll be sweet.

When I was looking for some for my TT350, Ricor wouldn't just supply some for 41mm forks as the internal measurements (wall thickness) is different with different forks.
They wanted the internal measurement down to the 1/10th of a mm.
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #69828
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 5,531
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac004 View Post
THIS! This is exactly the weird thing I think I am chasing down.



Hopefully I will get to this in the next half week or so...I will post my results. Thanks everyone for contributing ideas and thoughts.

ER70S-2, thanks for mentioning this crucial bit of info!

planemanx15, this may fix your problem!
I love it when a Wild A$$ Guess makes me look good.

Now I wonder if the clicking is an audible signal that the Intiminator ring is swelling and starting to stick?

Eakins, I hadn't read your Intiminator thread for awhile and had forgotten how well it was explained and photo'd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaped View Post
__________________
2004 DR650: 61,676 miles
2013 WR250R

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #69829
disconnected
ultra runner
 
disconnected's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Oddometer: 6,590
Hi Gang, I used the Search function and found some tid-bits. My DR has the stock tires still and they are pretty warn out. I am looking for some 50/50 tires, what rides well with the DR? I am considering the TKC and Maybe the Kenda Big Block. What type of miles do you guys get from these and what else do you suggest. Mainly for dirt roads, paved commuting and maybe some light singletrack.

greg
__________________
IBA # 47004
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #69830
neo1piv014
ADV in training
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
Hi Gang, I used the Search function and found some tid-bits. My DR has the stock tires still and they are pretty warn out. I am looking for some 50/50 tires, what rides well with the DR? I am considering the TKC and Maybe the Kenda Big Block. What type of miles do you guys get from these and what else do you suggest. Mainly for dirt roads, paved commuting and maybe some light singletrack.

greg
Michelin T63 and Dunlop 606 tires are the 50/50 favorites around here from what I've seen. I've also seen some good things about the Pireli MT21's, though none are as cheap as the T63.
__________________
_________________________
Ride videos
'01 DR650
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #69831
disconnected
ultra runner
 
disconnected's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Oddometer: 6,590
Great, Thanks, I was going to look up the T63, since the search function found those in my previous search!. :)

greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Michelin T63 and Dunlop 606 tires are the 50/50 favorites around here from what I've seen. I've also seen some good things about the Pireli MT21's, though none are as cheap as the T63.
__________________
IBA # 47004
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #69832
thetable
Beastly Adventurer
 
thetable's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Western Loudoun Co, VA
Oddometer: 1,317
T63 is pretty awesome for the offroad bits, but they wear quickly, cup, and run hot on pavement. They are my tire of choice for the KLR, but it doesn't see much dry pavement.

If you aren't playing in the mud, I'd look at the Shinko 705 and Full Bore Adv tires. Smoother on the pavement, enough tread for everything else, and better wear. If it helps, I've run BT003s in the conditions you listed on my 'tarded DR, the muddy sections were, ummm, fun(?), but otherwise, they offered a tolerable level of traction offroad.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #69833
thumpididump
MacGyver
 
thumpididump's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 2,475
+1

I love them both. For the rear, the T63 tends to be a little cheaper, which usually makes it a slightly better bargain IMO, but the D606 can often be found for about $80 on sale. Both perform very well, and they last about the same amount of miles.

For the front, I prefer the 606 for offroad duty.




Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Michelin T63 and Dunlop 606 tires are the 50/50 favorites around here from what I've seen. I've also seen some good things about the Pireli MT21's, though none are as cheap as the T63.
__________________
Poor decisions always lead to great adventures.

Keyboard Diarrhea
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #69834
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NEW ZEALAND
Oddometer: 1,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac004 View Post
Ok, per the suggestion of inmates here I did verify a few things:
-With the front axle clamp loosened (and the axle tight), I still experience the same stiffness.
-I purchased a Motion Pro Fork Alignment Gauge, which verifies that the forks are parallel when measured below the fender and just above the brake rotor.

I also noticed today a strange noise today, which I recorded. The noise sounds like a clunking during each compression/rebound. The "stiction"/drag I am feeling may be more related to damping then actual friction...kind of hard to explain.

Watch the video and let me know what you think. Notice the noise, and how I have to pull the bike up and "aid" it on its rebound to return to a somewhat normal ride height.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI5ZEIfTJ_g

I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the Ricor Intimidators, be it product flaw or operator error.
When I was talking to Robert at Kiwi Suspension Solutions about them, he told me they looked at using them but noticed a clicking sound and traced it to the Intiminators poping out of there seats when the suspension is first compressed.
If you want to contact him http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=815869. His email is on there.
They won't use them because of this trait.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #69835
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man
 
Kommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Spacecoaster FL
Oddometer: 6,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
Hi Gang, I used the Search function and found some tid-bits. My DR has the stock tires still and they are pretty warn out. I am looking for some 50/50 tires, what rides well with the DR? I am considering the TKC and Maybe the Kenda Big Block. What type of miles do you guys get from these and what else do you suggest. Mainly for dirt roads, paved commuting and maybe some light singletrack.

greg
It depends on what kind of surfaces you're riding. I run a cheap ($28), capable-in-dry-dirt Shinko 244 up front most of the time. It handles pavement well, wet or dry, and can be reversed if it starts cupping. It's no knobby in soft stuff or wet clay though. For that, I use an MX knob. In Florida, that means a $21 AMS Sand Snake. It grabs on mud, sand, clay, grass, deep gravel, riding buddies, small woodland critters, the sofa, and pretty much any other soft surface you can find. It doesn't do hard surfaces, like pavement, very well though. I ride it around town and on slab to get to trails, but it wears out much quicker than something like a Shinko 244, and I don't brake/corner hard on pavement with it.

I run a cheap, long-wearing DS tire in the rear...the $60 Kenda K761. I add extra grooves to the outer treadblocks on these, and make the shallow center grooves full-depth. While lateral traction isn't great offroad, it propels the DR surprisingly well through some nasty stuff if I can just keep it under me and stay on the gas. I got over 6K miles out of my last one, with tread still left on it. Some people see 10K+ miles with this tire.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #69836
Jammin
Living on a DR
 
Jammin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: New Delhi - new 'home' for post RTW
Oddometer: 1,528
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Suzuki calls for the same CDI part number from 1998 to current. 96 and 97 are a different part number but I don't know exactly what the difference is.

The anti-theft resistor is in the key switch which is also the same for 1998 to current with 96 and 97 being different. That makes me think that your SA mechanic is correct but it would only apply to 96 and 97 bikes. I couldn't find any mention of what year your bike is.

HERE are instructions for eliminating the factory key switch and replacing it with a simple on/off switch. Details for wiring in a separate resistor can be found there.
A million thanks, Jeff That's the info I was looking for
Yup, I scoured the parts fiche and found the same P/N for the CDI for all the model years, but your info sounds more reliable and thanks for the link, that's exactly what I wanted to know, how to bypass the ignition switch if need be and sounds like I can make into a proper anti-theft device I'll take all the parts I need from here.

My bike is a 1998, so I just made the cut for the current CDIs this means my 2006 CDI should work. Good, one problem solved.

The South African mechanic said he thought the resistor changed from a 400 ohm to 100 ohm but wasn't sure what year that change happened.
__________________
J A Y on a 98 Suzuki DR650SE (sanDRina)

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #69837
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,736
thanks
oh hell i probably have one of the very 1st ones produced, but i don't have any clicking and they went in easily. i'm gonna change me oil out this winter so i'll pull them and see how they fit now.

what oil height have people settled on?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
I love it when a Wild A$$ Guess makes me look good.

Now I wonder if the clicking is an audible signal that the Intiminator ring is swelling and starting to stick?

Eakins, I hadn't read your Intiminator thread for awhile and had forgotten how well it was explained and photo'd.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #69838
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
When I was talking to Robert at Kiwi Suspension Solutions about them, he told me they looked at using them but noticed a clicking sound and traced it to the Intiminators poping out of there seats when the suspension is first compressed.
If you want to contact him http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=815869. His email is on there.
They won't use them because of this trait.
the lower sealing ring popping out of the lower body groove?
or the center body coming out of the lower body?
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:47 AM   #69839
neo1piv014
ADV in training
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
Great, Thanks, I was going to look up the T63, since the search function found those in my previous search!. :)

greg
My buddy ran T63's on his KLR, and it handled a 1000+ mile trip that was 99.9% pavement without any complaints. After that, they still had plenty of tread left for us to go messing around in the desert. They aren't going to be great in the soft sand, but I don't think any 'dual sport' tire is going to be worth much in deep, soft crap.


Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
If you aren't playing in the mud, I'd look at the Shinko 705 and Full Bore Adv tires. Smoother on the pavement, enough tread for everything else, and better wear.
I run 705's on my DR650, and they're very awesome for what they advertise as being capable of. They're a solid 75/25 street/dirt combo, and if all you do is harder packed stuff, they won't let you down. Considering you can get a set of these tires shipped for the price of a single D606 rear, they're a complete steal. Still, if you want something offroad oriented, the 700's or 244's might be more worth consideration.
__________________
_________________________
Ride videos
'01 DR650
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #69840
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc
 
NC Rick's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Asheville, NC
Oddometer: 599
Forks wanted

If anyone has a nice condition set of stock DR650 forks available, we would really like to have a set. Cash or trade for suspension work...

Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc
(828) 628 9025
raceparts (at) motocd (dot) com
__________________
Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc.
motocd.com
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014