Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #106
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
Uller,
When securing the elect cable inside the tank to the hose did you use specific zip ties that were fuel proof ??
I want to zip tie both hoses and elect cable together so they support each other just worried about zip ties being degraded by fuel.
Andy
Good question Andy. The first time I put it together I did use zip ties as shown in the pics. When I went in there again, I noticed they were a little "soft" and used a couple pieces of thin gauge tie wire with the ends carefully curled in to avoid anything from getting poked.

I really think zip ties would be fine though as they are really just lightly holding a wrapped piece of wire and don't really serve in a "structural" situation.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:33 PM   #107
DirtJack OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Uller, thanks for adding your how-to to this thread. My 690 will be tested in a 400+ two day ride in a couple of weeks if it makes it through that, then maybe I will feel like I can trust it again.
Just completed 425 miles (half on dirt) plus another 130 miles and the bike ran stronger than ever, so I'm now beginning to trust my 690 again. BTW, I did carry a spare pump (mine came with an Almond Joy), clamps, filter, etc. just in case.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:33 PM   #108
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
A little off topic..

My damn 990 pump went out last week as I arrived in Oklahoma city from GA. The bill came to over $700 :!!!! Luckily I do have an extended warranty . The worse part was that the cheap ass dealer wouldn't cover the $50 next day air shipping fee, however had no problem charging retail for the parts and a bunch of labor to the extended warranty company . Anyway this is second pump that has failed on my 990 with only 32K miles on her . I hope I don't go through the same crap with the 690.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:14 PM   #109
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

That is why I bought a used 950 with carbs. Just in case.....

On the plus side, I just finished another 800 mile trip over the last four days and my 690 performed flawlessly.

I so love this bike!!!!!!!!

Chris - I have to give CA Cycleworks a call. I'll mention the 990 pump issues to him. Maybe he can get his Chinese Manuf. to make a 990 pump????
Old 11-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #110
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
That is why I bought a used 950 with carbs. Just in case.....

On the plus side, I just finished another 800 mile trip over the last four days and my 690 performed flawlessly.

I so love this bike!!!!!!!!

Chris - I have to give CA Cycleworks a call. I'll mention the 990 pump issues to him. Maybe he can get his Chinese Manuf. to make a 990 pump????
Good idea!! I don't blame you on the 950! The 990 pump list price for $499.00. I'm glad you have finally been able to get your 690 sorted out!!
Old 03-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #111
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
External fuelpump

This is what Im going to test.

Fuelpump from a Suzuki lt 450-r quad.
Thomas Berglund used this on his Dakar Husaberg, so it got good chances .

Mounting it and the fuel regulator behind the cylinder.
I removed the rearbrake reservoir to get space for hoses and so, not really sure its needed.

More about it and other stuff in my "DIY" thread.

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:39 AM   #112
Czechie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
690 R fuel pump problem.

Hi, I have started experiencing problems when the engine just idles, e.g. at the intersection waiting for the lights. It is ok, ok, but all of sudden it dies. Turned the key off an on and it started back. No problems when I gun it, only when decelarating or just on idle turns. So I took it to my dealer as I though there might be something wrong with the control unit, so they deleted it and reloaded the software. However, not much improvement so they had a look at the pump. Apparently when the pump gets warmer, it loses the pressure which causes the sudden engine stops.

Secondly I feel when I keep constant low revs, the engine does go that smoothly, it just slighly accelares and decelerates which proves to be the pump problem.

Unfortunately my dealer does not have a spare one so they could not replace it and I am leaving for a rally. Do you think it will last or it will get worse or die very quickly?

I have seen in this thread that mostly it was a cleaning or a filter problem but have any of you experince something similar? cheers,
David
Czechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #113
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
my pump was one of the early ones with endless black junk shed into the filter. After a few filter changes and 6k miles i decided to switch it out after getting a few stalls and loosing some smoothness in the engine.

ca cycleworks pump w/ new style barbed hose outlet

rather than using a sock filter for the intake i decided to stick with the stock screen as that setup looks like it might keep the pump in place and keep vibrations down and maybe cooler as it's just gas all the way around it. This meant using the stock plastic piece from the original, and the stock clip as the cycleworks provided one was too small. Kind of a pita to get off without destroying. It went back on using a 7mm socket to press it on.

I could have re used the stock lines but i already had a foot of the submersible so on it went. I left the return line stock. I heeded the advice above re safety wiring the assembly together and then on it went with the napa filter. So with lab cleaned injector, new plug and new pump and filter bike is back to its usual viciousness. For $120 for the pump and a little extra work it seems worth it vs 250 from powersports warehouse. The electrical connectors are not as tight a fit as on the stocker but still shouldn't come off, hopefully. I'm guessing the quality of pump is improved.

stock pump with outstanding craftsmanship, that cant be right

MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #114
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Different Setup

MookieB

After trial and error, I modified my fuel pump/line setup slightly from some of the pictures in my "how to" post above.

I tried to describe it in the *Update* section I added at the bottom of my post but it could easily be missed. Sorry

I found the plastic fuel filter got soft and bent inside the tank. This allowed the hose clamps to loosen and twist. I would assume I found it slightly before it would have come apart inside. It just didn't look too good.

About the same time, someone mentioned the usage of a Can-Am quad filter being used by the Husaberg Racing Team who were also having fuel injector clogging issues. They were putting the steel body filter in place of the quick disconnect just before the throttle body outside the tank. The Can-Am filter is $18.95 each BTW.

So, I changed how I did things from the "How to" above.

First, I do not have a fuel filter inside my tank anymore. Fuel travels through a ProFill filter sock in the neck of the tank. Then it goes through a Profill filter bag attached to the pump. These two barriers will collect any particles large enough to affect the pump and regulators. Finally, the fuel travels through an easily accessed filter (outside tank in location of quick disconnect) which is rated to 10 microns and costs $3.95 at any Napa (or whatever the Wix is at other stores).

http://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/wi...ers/33095.html

This setup seems to work really well. No issues whatsoever. Plus, if you get the new barbed pump you would have a barbed connection at both the pump and regulator for a very secure connection on the fuel line. Connections comming apart due to pressure have been an issue with some.

Uller screwed with this post 06-11-2012 at 06:32 PM
Old 06-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #115
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
I found the plastic fuel filter got soft and bent inside the tank. This allowed the hose clamps to loosen and twist..
that's not cool. Come to think of it the napa did look a bit off and the paper element was definitely shriveled . I couldn't find hose clamps small enough for the stock line filter connection so i wrapped some of the cycleworks supplied hose around then clamped it.The stock mahle might be better but not 75$ better Ditching the disconnect might be the way to go, it's digging into the airbox anyway
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #116
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,657
I used this filter, with my 38mm CAcycleWorks pump, last year when I needed a 30mm pump for my Husky, they didn't make a 30mm yet, so I got the 38mm for Ducatis. I also found a teabag strainer by Airtex for $20

Old 10-04-2012, 06:56 AM   #117
Ontario GS
Budding Adv. Traveler

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJake View Post
I used this filter, with my 38mm CAcycleWorks pump, last year when I needed a 30mm pump for my Husky, they didn't make a 30mm yet, so I got the 38mm for Ducatis. I also found a teabag strainer by Airtex for $20
Jake

How has this worked out for you, it's been a couple of months since your post? Any issues?

Husqvarna TE250 (The Gator) -- 10 KTM 690 Enduro

Life ain't about how fast you ride, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
Ontario GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #118
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario GS View Post
Jake

How has this worked out for you, it's been a couple of months since your post? Any issues?
The 38mm pump has been in service for 9000 miles now over 9 months, no problems with the oversize pump being secured to the threaded rod with zip ties. I did start having a problem with the super small filter in my previous post (on the right in the pic below), it would only last about 1000 miles and I would start to get performance warnings (backfires, cutting out, stumbling), if not a complete shut down for lack of fuel. Put a new filter in, runs perfect for 1000 miles or so. So I found another filter at the auto store, same $5 but appears to have alot more material inside, it is definitely a bigger filter, fitment was a little tight but it made it.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #119
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,750
Guys-I googled filter socks that fit these bikes but all that turned up was out of Australia. Who has them here in the states?

Dirty
Old 10-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #120
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,750
Everyone must be out riding...again.

Hello, my name is Dirty I've been here awhile, posting as the unofficial mod of the Loctite thread (I work for the factory), provider of quite a bit of 640A helpful hints to others am a new owner of a 690. I am trying to learn as much about these bikes as possible.

Am I the only one hearing crickets?

Dirty