Old 10-04-2012, 05:05 AM   #17
Patrick M OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
Looking good, Patrick!

- From a UPenn Quaker
Thanks Wes! Glad you're enjoying it. More to come later today...
Patrick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #18
Patrick M OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 6, September 6th 2012

Day 6: September 6th 2012 -
Around 50 miles today checking out the east side of Glacier NP.

Waking up today I noticed that the weather that came in the night before was still hanging around. It was only colder and snowing up at the passes. My original plan was to ride over the Going to the Sun Road today and camp on the west side of the park. I really wanted to see the Going to the Sun road in better weather, and without the possibility for ice. After much back and forth with my decision, I decided to stay put another night.

Instead of going up to Logan Pass, I set off for the Many Glacier region of Glacier National Park with all my winter gear on.

Many Glacier is north of the Going to the Sun Road next to Swiftcurrent Lake and the Lewis Mountains. The Many Glacier lodge dates back to 1915 and is pretty incredible. This area also has a large Grizzly population and I was hoping to see one when I was up here.

The road into the region, with the ominous weather thrown in, was making my imagination run wild.

I was in absolute awe in this place. I took a walk around the outside of the lodge and took in the view while watching the snow accumulate on the peaks in the distance.

I took decided to do the short, 2.6 mile hike around Swiftcurrent Lake. At the beginning of the hike I met a nice old couple from Tennessee and offered to hike with them since they did not have any bear spray with them. Nice people.

When I was planning my visit to Glacier, I got into the idea of hiking the Grinnell Glacier trail from Logan Pass. Unfortunately, it was closed due to bear activity. The grizzlies come down the hills to feed on the berries around this time of year, prior to hibernating for the winter.

Extra Proof...

Many Glacier Hotel from the north

The red Glacier busses are looking like new.

y

On my way back to Saint Mary, I noticed some beasts off in the distance on the shore line of one of the lakes. This was it. Bear Time for this flatlander. Finally... I broke out my telephoto lens.

Unfortunately, it was the ever present, open range Black Angus, bumbling along the shore...

I rode in on the Going to the Sun Road for a few miles before heading back to my cabin.

Once back at my cabin, I hung out, cleaned and organized some of my gear while watching the weather fully clear. This is place is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited. I cant wait to come back here again for longer than a couple days.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #19
SlowernOlder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Awesome pics !!!!

I'm in...
Old 10-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #20
charlie O
Old Fool

Oddometer: 3
Great Pictures!!

I have been mapping and re-mapping basically the same route only starting in New England. Looks like a great trip. Maybe someday. Was 21 days enough? What kind of gear did you have?
Keep the story coming!!
charlie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #21
Patrick M OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie O View Post
I have been mapping and re-mapping basically the same route only starting in New England. Looks like a great trip. Maybe someday. Was 21 days enough? What kind of gear did you have?
Keep the story coming!!
That's a good question... Was 21 days enough to see every place I planned on seeing? yes. Was it enough to fully experience the best places that I visted, like Glacier and Utah? Definitely not. I averaged around 375 miles a day for the whole trip. That left me with a small amount of time to do much more than ride. If I were to do it again like this, one more extra week would be perfect!... I also missed my woman so 21 days alone was a long time too. But every one is different I suppose...

The main gear that I brought was a full set of camping equipment for sleeping and cooking, a few days worth of clothes, tools, camera equipment, 1 pair of warm gloves, 1 pair of winter gloves, down mid layer, heated vest and grips.

I hope you're able to do something like this someday soon! You'll never regret it.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #22
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,825
Your images are absolutely stunning! My wife and I spent a few days at Glacier in 2010, and we're planning a longer stay next Summer. It truly is a magical place.

Your report is a breath of fresh air, as it contains the kind of wonder that is all too often missing. Thanks for taking us along.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #23
John Nash
Bluenoser

Oddometer: 152
Glacier NP

I was also on a cross country trip last August 2012. 8300 miles in 16 days.Glacier was one of the top spots of the trip..what scenery! Whow.I went through Road to the Sun from west to east on a beautiful sunny day.Next I went north to Banff,Alberta towards Jasper and west through British Columbia to Whistler and Vancouver Island. Your pictures are very nice..what camera are you using? looking forward to the rest of your RR..thanks for sharing this trip with us.
John Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #24
hambone79
n00b

Oddometer: 1
This report encouraged me to make my first post! Awesome trip and the pics are amazing! I was fortunate enough to land a college internship in the CO Rockies 10 years ago and these pics are bringing back so many memories of the beautiful sights. I am currently bikeless after owning several cruisers and reports like this are making me want and ADV bike so bad!
hambone79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:19 AM   #25
Patrick M OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al View Post
Your images are absolutely stunning! My wife and I spent a few days at Glacier in 2010, and we're planning a longer stay next Summer. It truly is a magical place.

Your report is a breath of fresh air, as it contains the kind of wonder that is all too often missing. Thanks for taking us along.
Definitely a magical place. It's high on the list for a return trip. I'm hoping to take a trip there soon and spend a couple weeks camping & hiking with my wife.

I appreciate your comments. I really enjoy ride reports that focus on photography and the details of the destinations. So im giving back...
Old 10-05-2012, 05:24 AM   #26
Patrick M OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nash View Post
I was also on a cross country trip last August 2012. 8300 miles in 16 days.Glacier was one of the top spots of the trip..what scenery! Whow.I went through Road to the Sun from west to east on a beautiful sunny day.Next I went north to Banff,Alberta towards Jasper and west through British Columbia to Whistler and Vancouver Island. Your pictures are very nice..what camera are you using? looking forward to the rest of your RR..thanks for sharing this trip with us.

I wish I could have made it to Banff, or parts of Alberta, but the weather delays prevented that. I shot the photos with an Olympus EM5 using a 12-50mm and 40-150mm lens. The RAW files were processed in Lightroom 4.

Thanks for reading, Im glad you are enjoying the report!
Old 10-05-2012, 05:29 AM   #27
Patrick M OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone79 View Post
This report encouraged me to make my first post! Awesome trip and the pics are amazing! I was fortunate enough to land a college internship in the CO Rockies 10 years ago and these pics are bringing back so many memories of the beautiful sights. I am currently bikeless after owning several cruisers and reports like this are making me want and ADV bike so bad!
Well Im glad ive inspired you! Thanks for reading. I would love an internship in the Rockies, or anything that planted me there! Philadelphia is old news for me after this trip...
Old 10-05-2012, 06:44 AM   #28
gmtech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
how much do the heated cabins run in glacier park?
and room for how many to sleep?
thanks
doin a lewis and clark retrace next year and might head further up to there
gmtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:47 AM   #29
Patrick M OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech View Post
how much do the heated cabins run in glacier park?
and room for how many to sleep?
thanks
doin a lewis and clark retrace next year and might head further up to there
The cabins were at the St. Mary KOA, and were a little steep at $99 a night. However, they were warm and worth it. The cabin I stayed in had a bunk bed, as well as a full bed. So, technically, 4 people could fit in the basic cabin.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #30
Parcero
Mundial

Oddometer: 522
Great RR! Reminds me of a very similar trip I did about 20 years ago from Chicago to Glacier on an old Kawasaki Vulcan 700. I might have to do that one again. Glad to see that after 20 years you can still find some very sparsely populated areas and good old dirt roads and trails that go on for hours and hours. Thanks for posting.

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote