ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #2821
yellowbirdrs
Studly Adventurer
 
yellowbirdrs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Ags. MX
Oddometer: 966
I'm start thinking there's no be an Adventure model probably just a Rallye edition. There is no place to add a larger tank. I think they only are going to add all the guards, front bake, aux lights, rear rack and that's it.
yellowbirdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #2822
/dev/null
Gnarly Adventurer
 
/dev/null's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Southern California, USA
Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post


The electronic suspension on the 2010-2012 Duc is by Ohlins. For 2013, both BMW and Ducati have gone with Sachs to get their "semi-active" technology.

And FWIW, the Sachs system does NOT have electronic pre-load, which was the source of the troubles with the Ohlins units (with the Ohlins, the pre-load servo fails, not the damping bits).

-SM
Isn't electronic preload adjustment the source of several pounds of weight as well? I thought the motor for this had to be good sized to deliver to the required torque. (Asking this as a question, don't have enough data to affirm this is the case.)

Edit: and if so...given that all weights are quoted without ESA, this could mean an optioned up bike is closer to the '12's weight.
__________________
11 R1200GS TB, 09 FZ1

/dev/null screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 05:14 PM
/dev/null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #2823
highermath
code wrangler
 
highermath's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Sunny Southern California
Oddometer: 286
In Europe, there is one "Model" with three "Variants" Touring (like the last GS), Dynamic (kinda/sorta adv-like), and Enduro (vaguely reminiscent of HP, but prolly w/o the P). Seems like trim differences.

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/b...ml?prm_action=


Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbirdrs View Post
I'm start thinking there's no be an Adventure model probably just a Rallye edition. There is no place to add a larger tank. I think they only are going to add all the guards, front bake, aux lights, rear rack and that's it.
__________________
14 R1200GS LC
03 BRP
highermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #2824
I GS 1
I 90S I
 
I GS 1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: SI, New Zealand
Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
They gotta leave something for Touratech to sell...

Heat from the jugs has never been an issue with oil/air cooled boxers. I'm sure this one will be no exception.
Must say a bit of heat from the jugs is welcome in our climate. We get a little more from the airheads.
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #2825
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 53,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBruce View Post
Will the 2013 R1200GS need the tedious/ridiculous spline lube operation like the oilheads do?
Trans or final drive?

Trans, absolutely not. FD, of course.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #2826
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,719
Any idea if you can order a stripped down version without all the electronic doo-hickeys (like I did with my 07 GS-Adv)?

Don't want ASC.
Don't want ESC
Don't want...





M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #2827
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 53,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Any idea if you can order a stripped down version without all the electronic doo-hickeys (like I did with my 07 GS-Adv)?

Don't want ASC.
Don't want ESC
Don't want...





M
I hope so! All I want is heated grips and ABS!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #2828
Desert2202
Studly Adventurer
 
Desert2202's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Alice Springs Central Australia
Oddometer: 692
From what I've seen so far, I'm glad I bought one of the last air/oil cooled 1200's.

I would never buy the first of a new model, too many bugs to be sorted out, that's one reason I have one of the last of the last generation
__________________
Geoff in the Desert
1983 XJ900R, 2013 KLR650
Desert2202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #2829
sbrownn
SlowMo
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKLR View Post
From what I've seen so far, I'm glad I bought one of the last air/oil cooled 1200's.

I would never buy the first of a new model, too many bugs to be sorted out, that's one reason I have one of the last of the last generation
Me too. One of the dumbest things I've ever done. Stuck with an outdated bike with poor resale while all of my friends were riding around on the new ones and not having any problems at all. The too many bugs to be sorted out just isn't that true anymore in this era of CAD design and simulation.
sbrownn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #2830
Ua the Destroyer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ua the Destroyer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Portland
Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurrer View Post
Me too. One of the dumbest things I've ever done. Stuck with an outdated bike with poor resale while all of my friends were riding around on the new ones and not having any problems at all. The too many bugs to be sorted out just isn't that true anymore in this era of CAD design and simulation.
I agree. Also I would bet this is the most engineered/tested model of BMW motorcycle ever. It's predecessor has been the best selling model of all time, and I doubt they want to fubar it with a terrible first year on the new one. (probably why the long wait for this machine) Like all new machines though, it will still have some quirks that will show up as its weak points. You never know even some of the best tested vehicles have major flaws, but that has been decreasing every year. Also keep in mind that the development phase and costs of motorcycles is small compared to the automotive industry, since the sales numbers are so much smaller.

If I had the extra loot I would buy one of the first ones. I really like the looks of it in white with the wire wheels.
Ua the Destroyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #2831
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 53,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurrer View Post
Me too. One of the dumbest things I've ever done. Stuck with an outdated bike with poor resale while all of my friends were riding around on the new ones and not having any problems at all. The too many bugs to be sorted out just isn't that true anymore in this era of CAD design and simulation.


I have a first year R1200ST, and had a first year R1200GS. Both fine bikes well over 50Kmiles.

Jim

PS I also had a first year (Beta)1994 R1100RS, well past 70K miles with only one issue, not related to being a Beta.

JimVonBaden screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 08:53 PM Reason: spelling
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #2832
johnjen
I've Been Resigned
 
johnjen's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 16,090
And I purchased a first year 1150.

It got an engine replacement
replacement battery
replacement front calipers
replacement master cylinder


Just say'n is all

JJ
__________________
The hidden harmony is found with joy, while the obvious brings indifference.
The farther you enter into the Truth the deeper your conviction for truth must be.
There is understanding of the world precisely to the degree that there is understanding of the Self.

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #2833
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles
 
tallguy-09's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver
Oddometer: 1,436
I like that seat, looks like you can move back easily, also looking ok without luggage rack (plastic?)



Definitely nice video:


tallguy-09 screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 09:32 PM
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #2834
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ua the Destroyer View Post
I agree. Also I would bet this is the most engineered/tested model of BMW motorcycle ever. It's predecessor has been the best selling model of all time, and I doubt they want to fubar it with a terrible first year on the new one. (probably why the long wait for this machine) Like all new machines though, it will still have some quirks that will show up as its weak points. You never know even some of the best tested vehicles have major flaws, but that has been decreasing every year. Also keep in mind that the development phase and costs of motorcycles is small compared to the automotive industry, since the sales numbers are so much smaller.

If I had the extra loot I would buy one of the first ones. I really like the looks of it in white with the wire wheels.
Someone told me they have been working on the water boxer engine for five years. Not sure if its true, but I hope so. But very good points about the fact that its BMWs best seller and they can't afford to have bad press on it. Fingers crossed as I'm #2 at my dealer.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #2835
Desert2202
Studly Adventurer
 
Desert2202's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Alice Springs Central Australia
Oddometer: 692
Even though I did buy this last of the model run to get a "bug free bike", the gearbox failed anyway after just 1,000km and had to be rebuilt.

It was a fault in the selector drum and shift fork !! Maybe the tools were wearing out in the factory huh !!

It really is just bad luck if you get the odd one that does have a fault. BMW were great about it, if fact they went above and beyond what they had to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurrer View Post
Me too. One of the dumbest things I've ever done. Stuck with an outdated bike with poor resale while all of my friends were riding around on the new ones and not having any problems at all. The too many bugs to be sorted out just isn't that true anymore in this era of CAD design and simulation.
__________________
Geoff in the Desert
1983 XJ900R, 2013 KLR650
Desert2202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015