User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #2821
Desert John
Desert John

Oddometer: 203
Cruise control in the U.S., for sure?

I've read somewhere in the last 48 hours that it will be available but I can't find it. I think BMW would be nuts to exclude the US for this feature. Can someone post where it's official that we're getting it?

I'm number one deposit at my dealer but if it's not there I'm sticking with my '10 GS.
Desert John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #2822
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
I must be in the minority here. I really like the looks of my current '12 GSA, and I love the looks of the new bike (except maybe the spork on the front). I'll own one in 2-3 years, once the GSA is out and they've ironed out the freshman bugs.
I agree 100%. I figure I'll trade up once my warranty runs out. Unless of course I'm still smitten with my '12 GSA - which I currently am...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert John View Post
I've read somewhere in the last 48 hours that it will be available but I can't find it. I think BMW would be nuts to exclude the US for this feature. Can someone post where it's official that we're getting it?

I'm number one deposit at my dealer but if it's not there I'm sticking with my '10 GS.
This would be completely ludicrous!!! There's no way they've left out cruise control...it can not be!!

Then again.......................................
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #2823
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
We had a stopwatch on ya.
Ya know me too well. Good stuff
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #2824
yellowbirdrs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
I'm start thinking there's no be an Adventure model probably just a Rallye edition. There is no place to add a larger tank. I think they only are going to add all the guards, front bake, aux lights, rear rack and that's it.
yellowbirdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #2825
/dev/null
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post

The electronic suspension on the 2010-2012 Duc is by Ohlins. For 2013, both BMW and Ducati have gone with Sachs to get their "semi-active" technology.

And FWIW, the Sachs system does NOT have electronic pre-load, which was the source of the troubles with the Ohlins units (with the Ohlins, the pre-load servo fails, not the damping bits).

-SM
Isn't electronic preload adjustment the source of several pounds of weight as well? I thought the motor for this had to be good sized to deliver to the required torque. (Asking this as a question, don't have enough data to affirm this is the case.)

Edit: and if so...given that all weights are quoted without ESA, this could mean an optioned up bike is closer to the '12's weight.

/dev/null screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 06:14 PM
/dev/null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #2826
highermath
code wrangler

Oddometer: 286
In Europe, there is one "Model" with three "Variants" Touring (like the last GS), Dynamic (kinda/sorta adv-like), and Enduro (vaguely reminiscent of HP, but prolly w/o the P). Seems like trim differences.

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/b...ml?prm_action=

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbirdrs View Post
I'm start thinking there's no be an Adventure model probably just a Rallye edition. There is no place to add a larger tank. I think they only are going to add all the guards, front bake, aux lights, rear rack and that's it.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #2827
I GS 1
I 90S I

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
They gotta leave something for Touratech to sell...

Heat from the jugs has never been an issue with oil/air cooled boxers. I'm sure this one will be no exception.
Must say a bit of heat from the jugs is welcome in our climate. We get a little more from the airheads.
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #2828
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBruce View Post
Will the 2013 R1200GS need the tedious/ridiculous spline lube operation like the oilheads do?
Trans or final drive?

Trans, absolutely not. FD, of course.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #2829
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,001
Any idea if you can order a stripped down version without all the electronic doo-hickeys (like I did with my 07 GS-Adv)?

Don't want ASC.
Don't want ESC
Don't want...

M
Old 10-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #2830
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Any idea if you can order a stripped down version without all the electronic doo-hickeys (like I did with my 07 GS-Adv)?

Don't want ASC.
Don't want ESC
Don't want...

M
I hope so! All I want is heated grips and ABS!

Jim
Old 10-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #2831
Desert2202
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
From what I've seen so far, I'm glad I bought one of the last air/oil cooled 1200's.

I would never buy the first of a new model, too many bugs to be sorted out, that's one reason I have one of the last of the last generation
Old 10-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #2832
sbrownn
SlowMo

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKLR View Post
From what I've seen so far, I'm glad I bought one of the last air/oil cooled 1200's.

I would never buy the first of a new model, too many bugs to be sorted out, that's one reason I have one of the last of the last generation
Me too. One of the dumbest things I've ever done. Stuck with an outdated bike with poor resale while all of my friends were riding around on the new ones and not having any problems at all. The too many bugs to be sorted out just isn't that true anymore in this era of CAD design and simulation.
sbrownn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #2833
Ua the Destroyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurrer View Post
Me too. One of the dumbest things I've ever done. Stuck with an outdated bike with poor resale while all of my friends were riding around on the new ones and not having any problems at all. The too many bugs to be sorted out just isn't that true anymore in this era of CAD design and simulation.
I agree. Also I would bet this is the most engineered/tested model of BMW motorcycle ever. It's predecessor has been the best selling model of all time, and I doubt they want to fubar it with a terrible first year on the new one. (probably why the long wait for this machine) Like all new machines though, it will still have some quirks that will show up as its weak points. You never know even some of the best tested vehicles have major flaws, but that has been decreasing every year. Also keep in mind that the development phase and costs of motorcycles is small compared to the automotive industry, since the sales numbers are so much smaller.

If I had the extra loot I would buy one of the first ones. I really like the looks of it in white with the wire wheels.
Ua the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #2834
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurrer View Post

I have a first year R1200ST, and had a first year R1200GS. Both fine bikes well over 50Kmiles.

Jim

PS I also had a first year (Beta)1994 R1100RS, well past 70K miles with only one issue, not related to being a Beta.

JimVonBaden screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 09:53 PM Reason: spelling
Old 10-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #2835
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,648
And I purchased a first year 1150.

It got an engine replacement
replacement battery
replacement front calipers
replacement master cylinder

Just say'n is all